The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Knock Off On Straight Racing

ijustcannothandlethetruth

Registered
Reaction score
It's seems to me that a lot of tracks do not have a long enuff knock off for the size of some of the bigger dogs these day OMO but would like to hear other's oppions on this subject

Last edited by a moderator:
You're probably right.......but there are only so many tracks/land/venues available..and getting less-

size of dogs????? mmmmmmm-that's another subject-well covered on k9-

Aintree wouldn't be big enough for some of them. OMO.

Karen B.

why dont we try what the lurchers do the lure goes under a piece of astra turf at the knock off.the dogs just stop and look for the lure wondering where its gone and not flying in for the lure. i think 80 % of the injurys are caused here.

this was sugested by a lady who races in the lurchers as well as the whippets and lurchers injurys are not as bad as ours. as the dog races both and never injured in the lurchers but nothing but trouble in the whippets.

worth trying :thumbsup:

DavidH said:
why dont we try what the lurchers do the lure goes under a piece of astra turf at the knock off.the dogs just stop and look for the lure wondering where its gone and not flying in for the lure. i think 80 % of the injurys are caused here.this was sugested by a lady who races in the lurchers as well as the whippets and lurchers injurys are not as bad as ours. as the dog races both and never injured in the lurchers but nothing but trouble in the whippets.

worth trying :thumbsup:

Sounds worth a try........??????

Other option don't run if in doubt.

Karen

Wouldn't work David.If the dogs haven't got a lure to focus on,there would be high risk of the dogs running back down the track or elsewhere on the field,and in that case chance of more injuries through collisions etc.If you'ld ever watched lurcher racing you'ld know exactly what I mean.

To be honest given some of the stories i've been told lately & the injuries to lurchers that i know of at their racing events i think it would be a step backward for whippet racing to start taking their advice when it comes to our tracks & health / safety of our dogs.

IMO if the lure is at the finish then you run the added risk of dogs colliding etc but they have something to focus on, i know Cara is a nightmare if the lure is hidden at the end and will go to any length to find it. As Karen says if there is no lure at the finish you end up with aggravated dogs running back down the track which usually leads to them barging / scrapping with each other.

What i did wonder whilst at Devon was the pro's / cons of a sandpit finish, i know chances are it lessens toe/stopper injuries but i really do wonder if they have enough to grip whilst going full flight and attempting to stop, especially the bigger dogs = somersaults! It can't really be compared to the finish at a bend track when they have a much longer distance to stop. I suppose it's one of those things though, for every person who's for it there'll be someone against.

: would like to see somethng done?????????

as so many injurys at the pick up,our roddy is so hard on the lure he is always picking up problems.he has hardly raced this year :( or has he raced this year :- " :rant:

if it was sorted you would get more dogs racing and less injurys.

interesting talking point :thumbsup:

when they have stopped through in a lure would that not give them something to go for?????????

I tend to agree with Vicky, no surprise there, but seems to be a lot more summersaults in sand pits as the sand almost stops them dead, for hard finishing dogs that are used to sliding or running over the lure i think this catches them out, the other thing is that if a dog has won by a bit of distance they appear to be on the lure quicker, which can cause a few more collisions where as on the grass they would go in at similar times.

I used to think sand pit finishes were brilliant as my dog had bad toes, but if the sand pit is not soft/raked properly between races in my opinion dogs are no better off.

Why i asked this question its not mainly about the 16-32ld its more on the no limit dogs.This type of dog as over the years got a lot bigger in size and the bigger the dog the more speed at finish but less room to stop.And a dog of the statue try's to stop in a short space ends up rolling/tumbling ect and ends up injured or in the worce way dead i know of 3 scratch dogs over the last year or so coming to this ending.There will always be stopper problems in what ever size whippet personal in that case tracks should leave at least 2" of uncut grass at knock off to soften the runnin (more of a cushion) OMO

Vicky said:
To be honest given some of the stories i've been told lately & the injuries to lurchers that i know of at their racing events i think it would be a step backward for whippet racing to start taking their advice when it comes to our tracks & health / safety of our dogs.
Then take the advice from greyhound racing as any greyhound track i have ever been to cover the hare at the end of the race. To the best of my knowledge most of the injuries that have happened to lurchers happen during the race....and not at the finish. If dogs are being injured after the race it's worth taking advice if it can be reduced by whatever means.

Some of us should take a STEP BACKWORD and think before we post.

dazgail said:
Vicky said:
Then take the advice from greyhound racing as any greyhound track i have ever been to cover the hare at the end of the race. To the best of my knowledge most of the injuries that have happened to lurchers happen during the race....and not at the finish. If dogs are being injured after the race it's worth taking advice if it can be reduced by whatever means.

perhaps you should come and watch the the whippets on the bends where the hare is covered and see (even though a dummy is thrown down at the knock off ) some of the whippets jump the fence or try running through the tunnel to get what they have chased they won't look at the dummy

injuries and tragedies will happen in every sport its unfortunate and no one wants it to happen but its a fact of life be it a racing dog, horse or man

dazgail said:
Vicky said:

You are entitled to your opinion as i am mine. However from experience the whippets do go in much harder than any greyhound i've ever seen, it's a completely different ball game at the pick up. As many people have seen my 18lb bitch thinks nothing of jumping the 4ft barrier at Highgate that the hare goes under, i'm lead to believe they don't bother using this for the greyhound racing, maybe just cover the hare but then whippets won't rest at that, scrambling and scratching to flip the cover and get at the hare, i know at Westhoughton quite a few have been injured in this way and all this done on top of the hare rail!

I was told only 2 days ago of an horrendous injury at the pick up (common sense lost on the setting up of this track) of a Lurcher race by a well known & respected lurcher man which resulted in his dog having to be put to sleep and him finishing with the sport - i don't think i need go on...........!

I put this on to talk about Knock Off On Straight Racing not bends i get sick of hearing about bends six months of a year now back to orignal post.STRAIGHT RACING and how to make knock off safer

ucannothandlethetruth said:
Why i asked this question its not mainly about the 16-32ld its more on the no limit dogs.This type of dog as over the years got a lot bigger in size and the bigger the dog the more speed at finish  but less room to stop.And a dog of the statue try's to stop in a short space ends up rolling/tumbling ect and ends up injured or in the worce way dead i know of 3 scratch dogs over the last year or so coming to this ending.There will always be stopper problems in what ever size whippet personal in that case tracks should leave at least 2" of uncut grass at knock off to soften the runnin (more of a cushion) OMO
This is mainly why i asked this question

Vicky said:
dazgail said:
Vicky said:

You are entitled to your opinion as i am mine. However from experience the whippets do go in much harder than any greyhound i've ever seen, it's a completely different ball game at the pick up. As many people have seen my 18lb bitch thinks nothing of jumping the 4ft barrier at Highgate that the hare goes under, i'm lead to believe they don't bother using this for the greyhound racing, maybe just cover the hare but then whippets won't rest at that, scrambling and scratching to flip the cover and get at the hare, i know at Westhoughton quite a few have been injured in this way and all this done on top of the hare rail!

I was told only 2 days ago of an horrendous injury at the pick up (common sense lost on the setting up of this track) of a Lurcher race by a well known & respected lurcher man which resulted in his dog having to be put to sleep and him finishing with the sport - i don't think i need go on...........!

Sure we could all make quotes like that to back up our views or our opinions...i heard this and i heard that. It seems to me that in straight racing if the whippets go in much harder they are more likely to remain at the lure than run back down the field.

Was the injury caused to the above dog due to the lure being covered at the end of the race......

Has it ever been tried at any of the non-ped straight racing events. If someone who is well respected within non-ped racing had made the suggestion would it be casually cast aside?

longer grass at the knock off will help stopper problems,we try at aycliffe to try and get this area left long its just trying to get it over to the grass cutter driver :wacko:

DavidH said:
longer grass at the knock off will help stopper  problems,we try at aycliffe to try and get this area left long its just trying to get it over to the grass cutter driver :wacko:
so why not be there when grass cutters are there or try telling council :wacko:

weathergirls said:
dazgail said:
Vicky said:

perhaps you should come and watch the the whippets on the bends where the hare is covered and see (even though a dummy is thrown down at the knock off ) some of the whippets jump the fence or try running through the tunnel to get what they have chased they won't look at the dummy

injuries and tragedies will happen in every sport its unfortunate and no one wants it to happen but its a fact of life be it a racing dog, horse or man

I have seen it both at whippet racing and greyhounds were the dogs go bonkers to get at the lure when the race is over.....in fact i wonder if one of the reasons it is covered at the greyhounds is so that it doesn't get mauled through the mussles. I just think it was an unfair comment to imply that it wasn't worth considering because it was suggested by someone who raced lurchers. After all non-peds are lurchers :- "

Waiting for the backlash...nothing like a bit of controversy to liven things up.

:huggles:

dazgail said:
weathergirls said:
dazgail said:
Vicky said:

I have seen it both at whippet racing and greyhounds were the dogs go bonkers to get at the lure when the race is over.....in fact i wonder if one of the reasons it is covered at the greyhounds is so that it doesn't get mauled through the mussles. I just think it was an unfair comment to imply that it wasn't worth considering because it was suggested by someone who raced lurchers. After all non-peds are lurchers :- "

Waiting for the backlash...nothing like a bit of controversy to liven things up.

:huggles:

the big dogs on straight racein im more worried about daz .and they more greyhound than lurcher or whippets.and its the speed of these dogs at the knock off

dazgail said:
Sure we could all make quotes like that to back up our views or our opinions...i heard this and i heard that. It seems to me that in straight racing if the whippets go in much harder they are more likely to remain at the lure than run back down the field.Was the injury caused to the above dog due to the lure being covered at the end of the race......

Has it ever been tried at any of the non-ped straight racing events. If someone who is well respected within non-ped racing had made the suggestion would it be casually cast aside?

For one, whippets are picked up at the end, they don not run back down the track, something which I think is extremely hazardous from experiences I've encountered at Selby. The other difference from lurcher racing is that 5 whippets will cross the line with little more than 4 yards difference between the winner and the last dog. The fact they all come past the line almost together is in my opinion a lot lower a risk than with the lurchers where a big lolloping dog will be coming mid way up the track, one will be running back to it's owner and the other 3 will be zig-zagging about causing mayhem.

I've shot plenty of photos of dogs coming into the knock off and on straights the small ones that are adept at stopping quickly will be picked up by their owners while the big ones ''run down'' their speed as they turn back onto the lure after passing it.

For the big 'uns I think too short a distance to run this speed down or a change in surface that assists this will result in dogs flipping over, however I also feel that tracks that have an incline after the knock off can also enable those bigger dogs to gain speed when they're coming back into the lure.

The thing that I think works is not so much length after the knock off but width. The big dogs will do a gradual turn through this open space and come back into the lure a lot more slowly. Look at Newton Aycliffe, Kirkcaldy, Worcestor etc.

Back