The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Keeping The Dog Warm (in An Outside Kennel)

What a great looking bed!! Well Done on your handy work :thumbsup:

Ours that are outside are in wooden kennels that are fully insulated inside with deep beds full of the J Cloth bedding as its a bit warmer than paper bedding. Costs about £7 for a bale and lasts ages and they love to bury themselves in it. It also soaks up any accidents.

We play them Radio 2 as well (w00t)

what a lucky boy with his new whippet den :D

if you tack a piece of felt or fleece over the door to create a dog flap it will help retain the heat in the box :thumbsup:

jesus! you lot treat your dogs better than i treat my wife and child.

mine sleeps out in a kennel with a couple of pillows in it, and has done since it was eight wks old( which was january). Is it really necessary to go to such lengths? if its frosty i put a coat on my dog.

your'e making me feel mean!

Fast but dim said:
jesus! you lot treat your dogs better than i treat my wife and child.mine sleeps out in a kennel with a couple of pillows in it, and has done since it was eight wks old( which was january). Is it really necessary to go to such lengths? if its frosty i put a coat on my dog.

your'e making me feel mean!

You Do sound mean :eek: :oops:

No seriously , if the kennel is draft and damp free and they have dry , warm bedding they should be fine . Id personnally put more than a couple of pillows in though , as whippets do love to snuggle into and under thing s , Cant you find an old duvet that no one wants , or buy a bale of shedded paper ( or jay cloths).They cant snuggle in a coat :D

Even the Racing Greyhounds at the track I worked at in the 60`s (w00t) used nice straw bedding for their dogs (long before paperbedding ;) )

My kennels have double glazing and a raditor on the wall that comes on if it gets too cold . Being someone who hates being cold ANYTIME , keeping my whippets warm is a must :thumbsup:

BTW Weedug

That looks so much better and cosier :thumbsup: well done , :cheers: just a cover over the front as suggested and he`ll be as shug as a bug in a rug o:)

Last edited by a moderator:
hut had an idea for the fleece lining of the boxs you could use stick and sew velcrow most of my houes is heald togethere with it so should be fine sew it round each peace of flecce take of the sticky strip at the back and push in place you will be abell to peel it off for washing realy easly

Back