The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Keeping The Dog Warm (in An Outside Kennel)

weedug

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,

Our wee lad loves the heat and has decided that his current favourite spot is next to the radiator (he drags the quilt where he wants).

When we are in the house, he is in the house, however, when we have to go out without him, we have been putting him into his kennel.

This has been fine during the summer months, but I wouldn't fancy lying in the cold so don't see why he should.

So, i've done some research and found that there a infra red heat lamps, electric heat pads, microwavable heat pads, oil heaters, etc...... and i'm asking if anyone has had a similar problem, and if they found a feasible solution.

I've included a couple of photos of the kennel for reference.

Thanks,

Richard

View attachment 22355

Kennel area

IMG_0592_1.jpg

Our 2 dogs :) are in when we are, then in the kennel with a run when we are out. The open area in to the sleeping area has a towel hanging over it to keep heat in and let the boys poke heads out if they wish :) . They have a radio for company, toys and bones, fresh water , a carpet just outside to lay on if weather permits :- " . To heat the kennel we have a heat lamp and on the wall we have put an eletric heater that comes on if the temperature drops :- " .

We have stuck our heads in several times and it seems snug. Having the 2 helps as they snuggle up :huggles: they lay on carpet and blankets.

Hope this helps.

Put the heat lamp over the sleeping area but not to low that he hits his head, expect you know this, if it is dark inside where the run is I would have some music and soft lighting :- " , I am serious.

I would raise the bed slightly of the ground and make the 3 outer walls higher to make the dog feel secure, may-be a roof, though big enough for him to stand up with out knocking himself out then leave the front open, we have cut a small circle out of the roof of the sleeping area and the heat lamp hangs through this (making sure it does not touch the wood etc (fire hazard).. The top of the sleeping area has the dogs treats on and the radio etc and then there is the proper roof 3 ft above this.

My dogs will not wee etc in the run they still have to go out for a walk, they see the kennel as an extension of home :)

I would line the walls with chipboard or something similar as breeze blocks are quite col d to the touch . Also you could but a radiator in there , maybe one with a ttemaratue sensor for when it gtets really chilly ,

I would also raise the bed off the floor , about a foot should do and put insulating stuff underneath , but make sure the dog cant get at it (w00t)

I would also use quiltes for bedding as he can snuggle up in one of those too :thumbsup:

The heat lamp is the favoured option at the moment, but he can jump pretty high.

When playing with him he can reach the red jacket hanging over the cage.

I believe that you can get 250W, 750W, 800W, etc.. heat lamps but I'm not sure if they would be too far away to give any heat without him being able to swing from it!.

He has the radio on, and the lights which i'm sure he appreciates for the 5% of the time he's not sleeping -_-

Our dogs live in kennels they have a deep bed of shredded paper & a pig lamp suspended 3ft to 4ft above the bed during winter we buy the lamps & spare bulbs from here

Burgess (Agricultural Engineers) Ltd, Lords Fold, Rainford St. Helens, Merseyside

:thumbsup:

you could knock together a fleece lined box for him to snuggle into and use the lamp for ambient temperature.

then if he gets too warm he can come out of his box to cool off :thumbsup:

mine love theirs

Picturebec_534.jpg

there is usually a protective strip round the edge but the pup has had it :lol:

Picturebec_533.jpg

lined mine with vet bed cos mine are spoilt :D

Picturebec_535.jpg

Oooooh thats a good idea, does the vet bed come of so you can wash it?

Vicky said:
Oooooh thats a good idea, does the vet bed come of so you can wash it?
mine are held in place with strips that are screwed in so just need to remove a couple of screws and you can wash them, they don't need doing that often though as it's really only the base that gets grubby, and the box seems to keep the sweaty dog smell pretty well contained :thumbsup:

:thumbsup: Some great ideas there .As i was thinking my self ,the nights are getting a bit chilly and my 2 pups go out to their cage in the garage at night and I don,t want to start bringing them in. :wub:

There not much room left on my bed :- "

I,v got the same panel system up the garden as an outside run. very vercitile spl, but I do worry about them jumping up at it and have had one go over (w00t) befor now . So I don,t leave them unattended .

weedug said:
Hi all,Our wee lad loves the heat and has decided that his current favourite spot is next to the radiator (he drags the quilt where he wants).

When we are in the house, he is in the house, however, when we have to go out without him, we have been putting him into his kennel.

This has been fine during the summer months, but I wouldn't fancy lying in the cold so don't see why he should.

So, i've done some research and found that there a infra red heat lamps, electric heat pads, microwavable heat pads, oil heaters, etc...... and i'm asking if anyone has had a similar problem, and if they found a feasible solution.

I've included a couple of photos of the kennel for reference.

Thanks,

Richard

Hi

My boy is the same, he has a folded sleeping bag in the house, near to the radiator, but, at bed time prefers to be outside in his kennel. this is jut a large kennel and i lined the bottom with lino, then put some new carpet on top that was left over when we had our bedroom done.

i bought him 2 Duvets , and put loads of old jumpers, tee shirts towels, fleeces etc in there.

in the summer months he seems to lie on the top of all the bedding.

Now that its getting colder, he has 'dug' under, and when i looked in, it looks like

a massive sausage roll but no sausage.! :blink:

Quite cute really. Also he has learned to push clothing and bedding near to the door, probably to stop draughts.

I check regularily to make sure there is no damp, and its not at all drafty.

Its a well made kennel so there are no gaps in the wall, all tongue and groove with a felt roof.

I dont know why but he prefers to sleep out at night even tho hes reluctant to go out at bed time. :blink:

To look at him, you would think he doesnt want to go, so we have left him in his bed in the kitchen, let him sleep in our room, and hes miserable. pacing up and down all night and crying until we let him out.!

Funny little thing, :teehee: but it is about what he wants at the end of the day.

this weekend we are away in the caravan, which for him is the perfect sleeping place. He sleeps near the door on a bunk, with the door open and the fly screen across! we are cosy in our sleeping bags and he has the best of both worlds!

:thumbsup:

Thanks for all the advice; I've changed the bed as per the good suggestions (off the floor, and enclosed it).

Am off to get paper bedding for him tommorow to let him bury himself in it.

Cheers :D

View attachment 22420

Back