The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Keeping Dogs Off The Sofa At Night

A whippet asks to be covered up, they are of the opinion that if you are going to have staff they might as well work.

Jenny

My youngest ones pull the blankets off the sofa but its so they can use them as play-mats on the floor. Go figure LOL. It really ticks off the older ones who like their sofa with plenty of soft blankies

Lily sleeps on the sofa, I leave the doors open and she usually gets onto my bed around 6 o'clock. I came down this morning and discovered she had thrown up all over the sofa...delightful! :eek:

And before anybody suggests that it would be a good idea to allow her on the furniture, have you any idea how much mud one long haired german shepherd can hold?
That's what blankets and sofa covers are for o:)
That seems to be a major difference between moderately intelligent dogs and seriously clever ones- most GSDs carefully take the covers and blankets off things before they lie down on them. When Molly's been in the bath I put a few big towels down on her bed for her to lie on, but almost always she takes them off her bed before she lies on it.
Whats clever about taking a nice warm comfy blanket/towel of something before lying down?? and if their so seriously clever just tell them to stay off the furniture
She knows how it's meant to be, so putting the cover on is stopping it from being right :)

She came to us as a rescue dog who had obviously been allowed both on the furniture and the bed, and had been fed food of such low nutritious value that her growth was stunted (she has the ears, paws, ribcage and tail of a much bigger dog, but doesn't have the legs to match or the skull to mount the ears on) and her first owner broke her front legs with a stick, so we had a lot of learning, both good and bad, to work around when she came to us. These days whilst she clearly would like to get on the sofa she knows now that she shouldn't, so she very rarely does, and the mud is kept mostly on the floor.

A whippet asks to be covered up, they are of the opinion that if you are going to have staff they might as well work.

Jenny
Whippets are allowed to be a bit nesh, since they come with very little body fat and a coat that's far too streamlined to be properly insulating.

I'm used to a dog that's usually too hot indoors, not too cold :)

mine are always on the sofa i buy them soft comfy beds and blankets but i cant keep em off,ok whilst they were pups but now fully grown they take up all the sofa

Back