The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Kangeroo Hide Collars

Julie D said:
looks like these collars just slip over the head, is that right ? are they padded ? they look lovely but  :( I'd be a bit nervous to walk Ella on one if it can slip off, what are they like on can you tell me they're safe for paranoid pet walkers ?!! :- "
Hi Julie, yes you're right they slip over the head. They aren't padded but because the leather is folded the collars are smooth on the inside as well as outside. They dont rub the hair off a whippet neck. I custom make them to fit YOUR whippet so provided you give me the correct measurements they will not slip off. The are designed to pull tight but not strangle your dog if it pulls. Speak to Wendy Jones, I understand she uses them as her security collars when they are at shows etc.

I have been making them for 5 years now & I have never had one slip off my whippets head while out walking.

Linda

kirislin said:
Julie D said:
looks like these collars just slip over the head, is that right ? are they padded ? they look lovely but  :( I'd be a bit nervous to walk Ella on one if it can slip off, what are they like on can you tell me they're safe for paranoid pet walkers ?!! :- "
Hi Julie, yes you're right they slip over the head. They aren't padded but because the leather is folded the collars are smooth on the inside as well as outside. They dont rub the hair off a whippet neck. I custom make them to fit YOUR whippet so provided you give me the correct measurements they will not slip off. The are designed to pull tight but not strangle your dog if it pulls. Speak to Wendy Jones, I understand she uses them as her security collars when they are at shows etc.

I have been making them for 5 years now & I have never had one slip off my whippets head while out walking.

Linda

Yup

I LOVE my 2 inch martingales and I swear by them, but if I'm going to be at a hotel or near large roads when we're on the road and travelling I use these ones as they offer that bit MORE security (in my mind). They tighten up to fit exactly as long as you provide Linda with correct measurements. They're basically like Slip Collars, except that they're limited to the size of your dog's neck, so can't accidentally choke them. So they slip ON over the head easily, but they don't slip off easily because as soon as you've tightened it up they stay.

Here's a pic of some of my collars - Lindas are the 3 on the top left http://groups.msn.com/savvychels/collarset...to&PhotoID=1206

You can see how they are wide and then narrow (similar to the fishtail collars), so the narrow part tightens up. The wide part is made to fit the width of the neck and stops them from tightening up too much.

Hope that explains it!

Wendy

Last edited by a moderator:
Julie D said:

Julie,

I promise that you have nothing to worry about at all. Ollie is a saint on the lead, but Jacob can be very naughty :- " and I certainly couldn't take any chances.

There is absolutely no way that he could back out of this collar, and it would never slip off :thumbsup:

Four people that met Ollie at Discover Dogs on Saturday who fell in love with him and his collar have already emailed me asking me to forward Linda's details to them.

We had a photo taken at the Purina stand at Crufts and even the photographer commented on his collar and tassels and made sure that they were in the picture properly (w00t) Once I have got over this weekend I will scan it :blink:

I wanted to use this collar for Ollie at agility as I feel that it is my safest, but they won't let me as it has to one that buckles :(

Hope Wendy and I have put your mind at rest :thumbsup:

We :wub: you Linda! (w00t) Nimbus love his roo collar, and so do I.

(The s t u p i d whipper scratched it, tho! :wacko: )

stilkligger.jpg

stilksot.jpg

lindacollar3.jpg

I mailed you about a showlead for Bajas, too.. ( :- " ) let me know if you didn't get it!

Julie, if you are considering getting one I'd wait till Ella is a year old before doing so - as you want to be sure the measurements will be right when she's fully grown.

Wendy

Far out! I feel like printing this thread off & putting it in a frame! Tracy that's great that so many people noticed your boys collars. I am very pleased.

You girls are the best advertising a person could want.

Note I am not paying them! :)

Ane dont worry about Nimbus scratching the collar. Unless you only put it on to go out it will happen. After a while if he wears it alot the collar will loose that smooth look & become wrinkled but it will still look good, just different. You know you could always have 2, one for everyday & one for 'best' :- "

I got your email Ane, I'll see what leather I have & get back to you.

Linda

kirislin said:
You know you could always have 2, one for everyday & one for 'best'  :- " 

You think? :p :clown: :clown:

Think it's good to encourage us, do you, think people like me don't manage to get enough by ourselves? :lol: :lol: :- "

Teehee.. :huggles: I expect the collection of collars will keep increasing! :teehee: There might be necessary with a certain level of Linda collars there! :- "

Thanks girls for the reassurance, Ella's birthday isn't until 28 th April, she's still little and we don't think she'll grow much more, she'll be getting new collars for her birthday, so we'll measure her at that time, all the photos are lovely and I can't wait to see the one with tassles on !

:cheers:

Ane

We have 2 sets. One that's always in the car for emergencies and one for 'every day'.

Julie

The tassles are extra clip on tassles that you can get at Whippet Rescue (or any number of places). They dress up any whippet collar. WOW is she really a year already????

Wendy

"We had a photo taken at the Purina stand at Crufts and even the photographer commented on his collar and tassels and made sure that they were in the picture properly (w00t) Once I have got over this weekend I will scan it :blink: "

Hey Tracy do you have the pics the photograher took at Crufts & are you allowed to post them here. dont breach any copyright laws though, we cant have you going to jail, but I'd love to see them if poss.

Linda

Back