The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Issue with our Shiba Inu

Kotsios

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone. New member here joining from Cyprus. We have a small issue that I would like to share with you with our 1 year old Shiba Inu. Our Shiba (her name) is very well mannered and we have been training her since we got her as a puppy. She is very obedient and overall a joy to be around.

Anyways the issue is that we had to leave her with a friendly couple for a week while we were on vacation. We chose not to take her to a dog hotel because here in Cyprus they lock the poor souls in cages for most of the day. We wanted her to be around friendly and familiar people (Shiba already knew the family well). In any case we left her with instructions regarding food and walks.

It seems that our friends got a little bit carried away and were giving Shiba only canned meat and turkey ham. When we came back we discovered that she will not touch her dry food. It has now been 30+ hours and she will only drink water and eat her occasional treat when we go for a walk. But no dry food.

Any recommendations here? I know some of you may say that canned meat maybe good for her but she was on a diet with dry food and the occasional canned meat, once a week. We are concerned about this turn of events so we would like your input please.

Assuming it isn't a medical issue, I can think of two ways you could approach this. You could try tough love - a healthy dog won't starve herself. Or, you could feed wet dog food with a few pieces of dry mixed in and over the course of several days gradually decrease the wet while increasing the dry.

Hi everyone. New member here joining from Cyprus. We have a small issue that I would like to share with you with our 1 year old Shiba Inu. Our Shiba (her name) is very well mannered and we have been training her since we got her as a puppy. She is very obedient and overall a joy to be around.

Anyways the issue is that we had to leave her with a friendly couple for a week while we were on vacation. We chose not to take her to a dog hotel because here in Cyprus they lock the poor souls in cages for most of the day. We wanted her to be around friendly and familiar people (Shiba already knew the family well). In any case we left her with instructions regarding food and walks.

It seems that our friends got a little bit carried away and were giving Shiba only canned meat and turkey ham. When we came back we discovered that she will not touch her dry food. It has now been 30+ hours and she will only drink water and eat her occasional treat when we go for a walk. But no dry food.

Any recommendations here? I know some of you may say that canned meat maybe good for her but she was on a diet with dry food and the occasional canned meat, once a week. We are concerned about this turn of events so we would like your input please.
Maybe try vegan dog food and try making it smell appealing to her? Her sense of smell is by far better than yours. Maybe you could try adding some of this?Dog Food Topper - Veggie Crumble | Dragonfly ProductsDog Food Topper - Veggie Crumble | Dragonfly ProductsDog Food Topper - Veggie Crumble | Dragonfly Products

Back