The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Is this a form of fear aggression?

JoanneF

Registered
Reaction score
Occasionally when Timber is off lead and he sees a big dog on lead, he will run in at it. Now I know this is at the very least bad manners and clearly now that I can anticipate it, I don't allow it. He either goes on lead and we practice focussing on me in a strong sit with rewards, or we take a different route outside of his trigger zone. But im not completely sure what the root cause is. If Timber was on lead I would think fear aggression. But it's only when the other dog is on lead. It's almost like he is teasing - 'you can't catch me because you are on lead, ha ha'. And only bigger dogs. Or, is it him getting in first, with a show of strength to scare off the big dog? Any ideas?

Sorry I know it must be infuriating but it is slightly funny too. I've a little corgi x that looks like a pyjama case and can occasionally do this. And yes it does look like teasing. Like you I try to watch out for trouble and get his attention - but I can never work out how he chooses his mark. Do some dogs just give off this I'm a softie vibe?

Is the other dog giving off fear signals? If it is staring to drive him away then maybe he is responding to being stared at? Just a thought.

I don't think it's 'I'm a softie'. I can predict fairly accurately the sort of dog and boxers, staffies and other big solidly built dogs are the targets. And (omg) our local Neapolitan Mastiff. Google them, they are without exaggerating the size of a small pony. Maybe he is suicidal!

I haven't observed fear signals at all from the other dogs. One day one will retaliate. I should add Timber is only 8 kilos.

Perhaps the other dogs are reading him differently to you? I have had a couple of rescues, over time, that have been very gobby around other dogs. Rushing up to, and barking at, other dogs. What amazes me is that the other dogs seem completely oblivious to the onslaught. I often think my dog has "ignore me, I am an idiot" tattoo'd on their forehead.

All you can do really, is try to spend time around these other dogs so that he relaxes and will then be able to learn that the other dog is (hopefully) fine. We often get so embarrassed that we move on as quickly as we can and our dog has not had a chance to calm down and learn to relax.

Back