The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Is It Bug Bites Or Allergy ?

Julie D

Registered
Reaction score
Ella's brother , Riley has multiple areas on his back and sides where the hair won't lie flat, underneath there are little lumps with a tiny red spot, he's been flea'd, washed, no change in food, doesn't seem itchy but doesn't have them on his legs/belly, maybe he rolled on his back in something.

His dad asked me to ask if anyone has had this on their dog and could say what they are :cheers:

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Cant say i can offer much advice but i would take him along to the vets to make sure its nothing to serious good luck :luck:

Julie D said:
Ella's brother , Riley has multiple areas on his back and sides where the hair won't lie flat, underneath there are little lumps with a tiny red spot, he's been flea'd, washed, no change in food, doesn't seem itchy but doesn't have them on his legs/belly, maybe he rolled on his back in something.
His dad asked me to ask if anyone has had this on their dog and could say what they are  :cheers:

:thumbsup:   :thumbsup:

Grace my whippy had something similar last year.Hers were red ant bites after laying on their nest,silly dog.No ill effects but the vet gave her an antihistimine or similar jab as her bites were starting to swell and look a bit odd.Im sure your doggy will be fine but if you are worried get the vet to have a look :thumbsup:

It sounds to me like hives,caused by an allergy/sting.

Ideally,give him Urtica or half a piriton.

Is it anything like this?

View attachment 45891

Last edited by a moderator:
ooh that looks sore, yes it's like that but not as many and not so big, does it take long to go away ?

thanks for the advice :thumbsup:

A friend of mine had the same problem with her boxer and it turned out to be an allergic reaction to the leylandii hedge in their garden . She gave him 1/2 a Piriton twice a day and it cleared up nicely . They had to put a net at the front of the hedge to stop her dog rubbing himself under it again .

Hope this helps :huggles:

Julie D said:
ooh that looks sore, yes it's like that but not as many and not so big, does it take long to go away ?
thanks for the advice  :thumbsup:

I don't think it's sore,more itchy (w00t) ,but after giving Poppy Urtica,it went down within an hour :thumbsup:

is Urtica specially for dogs or can you buy it at the chemist ?

seems like a good thing to have in, I'm lucky that midges etc don't like my taste, but the love my OH :angry:

You can get urtica for dogs & humans!

I usually use the urtica pills from Dorwest,but i have also used it in liquid form from Bioforce.You should be able to get it from any good health shop :thumbsup:

Back