The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Irritable bowel disease - ibd

JaneC

Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone have experience of this with their dog? My dog's condition is chronic and wondered what others fed to help the condition. Vets recommended hypo allergenic/gastro food. We tried and it didn't really make much difference. That said, maybe we should have tried it for longer. Just wondered did anyone notice a difference with a real bland diet or any advice on what foods to totally avoid. Antibiotics have made a little difference.

I have personally not had any experience with this, but I do believe that a blander diet would improve the condition based on how some foods affect people with IBS differently. Maybe you should try a few different brands of food for a couple of weeks and see which one makes the most improvement.

Ive found some useful info for you that could be helpful:

http://www.pets4homes.co.uk/pet-advice/ibs-or-irritable-bowel-syndrome-in-dogs.html

Good luck with it, I hope your dog gets better soon :)

From what I understand about IBD in dogs, it, like human IBS, is a diagnosis of exclusion, that is to say that it's something happening in the bowel which doesn't show up on any of the tests and therefore isn't anything specific that the vet can put their finger on as a condition. As far as that goes, Molly probably has what most vets would call IBD because she spent her first year with us having chronic diarrhoea, weight loss, dehydration, broken off fur and listlessness, no matter what food we tried her on. We also had no success with any of the brands that the vet encouraged us to buy, even the horribly expensive ones.

A very high proportion of GSDs have this, to the extent that it is pretty much just accepted in GSD circles as being part of the deal when you have a GSD. The GSD solution is to raw feed, and for the vast majority of GSDs (including Molly) this changes their life around and suddenly you have a healthy and happy dog with no bowel problems and although dinners look like a massacre has taken place, this is worth it for the dog to be turned around so amazingly.

The best explanation that I've seen for this is that for some dogs the issue is not grains or E numbers- it can be as simple as the proteins in the meat being cooked changing how they are digested and absorbed. Dogs are related to wolves and wolves are, of course, well known for setting up a barbecue when they catch dinner, aren't they?

This seems to read true for Molly because she can eat raw beef mince and have no problems at all, but if I take that beef mince and cook it then the diarrhoea creeps back in from the second day. I haven't tried this for more than 3 days, just because the solution is so clear- serve the mince raw and go straight back to settled guts again.

Have you considered a raw diet? Do you live somewhere where a raw trial would be possible? I know it's not possible for some people, but I wouldn't go back to the days of prepared food now, even down to the fact that it's less expensive to feed the raw diet that doesn't make her ill.

It's an awful thing to live with poor doggie!

If you can do raw then that's great as it will be all natural but I find raw very difficult to get right, you have to make sure everything is in the correct balance and all essentials are in the mix, plus can be expensive and not very practical.

If going for a dog food brand always check the label. I feed Natural Dog Food Company because it's the only one that is 100% (not even added vitamins or minerals which is a synthetic suppliment). Plus you can feed less of this and mix with whatever you like; veg, raw meat etc - obviously once he is settled.

Good luck with your search, hope your dog feels better soon!

I would suggest going for a raw diet such as nutriment.. We have a dog with gastro allergies and have put her on nutriment with great results., it cuts out the processing and artificial preservatives that many dogs can't tolerate.. She was not able to eat any treats before but we found changing her diet to all natural foods and treats has completely changed her life around.. We have recently opened up a website selling natural treats that are all perfect for our dog http://www.naturaldogz.co.uk

Hope this helps

Back