The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Insurance-lifetime Cover

Wren

Registered
Reaction score
Hello K9,

I am a new member with a four month old Whippy, I have been checking out insurance, has anybody used the Animal Friends Insurance? I looked on FAQ but the threads on there are not really current, i am considering full lifetime cover and have also checked out the Argos Policys, any help pointing me in the right direction would be gratefully recieved.

I think have, if they are underwritten by E&L dont go near it as they were a complete pain when it came to paying up on a claim. We have cover with argos but I havent had to make a claim yet (touch wood)

Never heard of animal friends, we use M&S just make sure that whatever policy you choose doesn't just cover you for 12 months - a lot do, because if something goes wrong in that 12 months it wont be covered again. But from what you have said, I think that is what you are doing. :thumbsup:

I've insured both my pups with Argos Platinum policy. Lifetime cover up to £6000 per incident/illness.

Seems to be the best at the moment and reasonably priced too :thumbsup:

Try the website www.moneysavingexpert.com - choose the insurance option and then pet insurance - I have saved a small fortune using this site on various things, i've halved my life insurance.

It doesn't give a massive choice of pet insurances but you can do a price comparison on the ones it does feature and you can find out more details - the company you mentioned does feature on there.

At the moment I am with Petplan but it costs me over £30 a month for 1 young whippet and I have a £90 excess on it. I will soon be changing insurers especially as I now have 2 whippets.

hi jennifer we use argos not had to use them yet but heard there very good .

welcome to k9 and im sure everyone would love to see a pic of merlin he is beautiful :wub: :wub: just like his mum :wub: :cheers:

Hiya and welcome to K9

I was on pet insurance hunt a few weeks ago and have gone with argos and they seem by far the best and have raving reviews :D

Jillb said:
Try the website www.moneysavingexpert.com - choose the insurance option and then pet insurance - I have saved a small fortune using this site on various things, i've halved my life insurance. 
It doesn't give a massive choice of pet insurances but you can do a price comparison on the ones it does feature and you can find out more details - the company you mentioned does feature on there.

At the moment I am with Petplan but it costs me over £30 a month for 1 young whippet and I have a £90 excess on it.  I will soon be changing insurers especially as I now have 2 whippets.

I notice this site mentions Halifax. I was going to go with Halifax as they appear to be giving a good deal at the moment. Although I suspect it may go up next year. But I thought I might give it a go for one year at least but had some questions to ask and couldn't get a reply from their customer services, even after half a dozen emails. When I then complained about their lack of response I still got no answer. If that is an example of their customer care I decided to look elsewhere.

Pauline

Ive just changed to MoreThan £7000.00 cover for each illness, £11 99 per month which i thought was pretty good Jan

I would not recommend More Than. As a friend of ours tried to make a claim with them not long ago, she needed an op. They had an awful lot of restrictions on what they would and wouldn't pay for. She said the price kept going up every few months too, so she gave up and went with someone else.

We are currently using NFU mutual insurance for our Jesse. They have been very good with our claims, including cancer treatment, chemotherapy etc. We put a claim in after his amputation, which they received on a monday morning, and by the following friday morning we had our cheque in the mail for the full amount minus the excess - which was only £40 anyway. We do however have one of the better policies, so it would include a bit more than a standard policy. But we would recommend. It is added on to our household insurance, not sure how much it is a month, but if your interested PM me and I'll find out for you.

Hope this helps!!

Emma and Jesse

xXx

I'll add this thread to FAQ so that's it up-to-date :b :thumbsup:

I've used Argos for two of ours, and they pay out fine and customer careline is ok, but it's worth knowing that £6000 is for the condition, not for life, and it doesnt go back to zero each year - once the £6000 is used up, its used up. I hadnt realised that, but someone pointed it out to me recently so I've just chosen Halifax for one of mine. Good price and good cover (similar to Argos but the money goes back to zero each year).

Thankyou for your replies,

I did manage to get through to the Halifax, it does seem to be a good policy.

i have looked at so many policy summeries i`m bog eyed!

The Argos, Healthy Pets, More Than etc. are policys with £5,000 £6.000 max per condition for life, if a dog has say Diabetes as a pup the £6,000 has to last 12 years or so depending how long he lives ie. 6,000 divided by 12 is £500 per year (would be all gone long before he was old, have i interpreted this right?). The Kennel Club offers £10,000 again max per condition for life.

Continious and Full Cover seem to be two different animals. The only Full Cover i can find are Petplan and Animal Friends, unless anyone else knows another.

I am delighted to say that i have Lawleymoon Dare to Win (Merlin) Teena might put a picture up of him in his Christmas collar

Just moved my 2 boys to Halifax - cover seems very good and my 2 have pre-existing conditions which are covered with their existing insurance anyway. Was paying about £19 each with M&S - now about £11 each.

P-S has to stay with the KC as we claimed for her injury with her 6 weeks free insurance as a young pup and don't want to move elsewhere in case we have any setbacks with her leg. £22 a month though (w00t)

~JO~ said:
Just moved my 2 boys to Halifax - cover seems very good and my 2 have pre-existing conditions which are covered with their existing insurance anyway.  Was paying about £19 each with M&S - now about £11 each.
P-S has to stay with the KC as we claimed for her injury with her 6 weeks free insurance as a young pup and don't want to move elsewhere in case we have any setbacks with her leg.  £22 a month though  (w00t)

the KC 6 weeks free ins is a bad idea, better to start your cover straight away when you get the pup as locked in to an expensive cover should some thing in those 6 weeks, i would of expected better from the KC I wonder how many they capture like this

Wren said:
Thankyou for your replies,
I did manage to get through to the Halifax, it does seem to be a good policy.

i have looked at so many policy summeries i`m bog eyed!

The Argos, Healthy Pets, More Than etc. are policys with £5,000 £6.000 max per condition for life, if a dog has say Diabetes as a pup the £6,000 has to last 12 years or so depending how long he lives ie. 6,000 divided by 12 is £500 per year (would be all gone long before he was old, have i interpreted this right?). The Kennel Club offers £10,000 again max per condition for life.

Continious and Full Cover seem to be two different animals. The only Full Cover i can find are Petplan and Animal Friends, unless anyone else knows another.

I am delighted to say that i have Lawleymoon Dare to Win (Merlin) Teena might put a picture up of him in his Christmas collar

it,s £6-7000 per year for life

Just phoned Halifax again to make sure , their cover is £6,000 reinstated each year

but the £6,000 is for all conditions, still, seems a good policy will probably go with that one.

Jennifer

Ive been with halifax for a couple of years and claimed three times for Peggy and they paid straight to the vets...i pay approx £25 p/m for the two(cant remember the right amount)

Back