The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

I Want An Iggy

I have an idea. It seems ironic that everyone is breeding bigger and bigger whippets, and then wants an iggy. Lets start breeding smaller whippets instead! Then we can charge £2000 for them?!?!?

Just a thought :b

A good point :D but it made me think.... pedigree racing whippets aren't eligible for a racing passport unless they are under 21" for a dog and 20" for a bitch. Its lead to much more attention being paid to size than in the show ring and as a result they are generally smaller than their show bred counterparts. Before anyone yells at me, I'm sure that plenty of show bred whippets are under this size - I did say generally. :D Any way, what I mean is that the racing people don't want bigger and bigger whippets. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Judy said:
A good point  :D   but it made me think.... pedigree racing whippets aren't eligible for a racing passport unless they are under 21" for a dog and  20" for a bitch. Its lead to much more attention being paid to size than in the show ring and as a result they are generally smaller than their show bred counterparts. Before anyone yells at me, I'm sure that plenty of show bred whippets are under this size - I did say generally.  :D   Any way, what I mean is that the racing people don't want bigger and bigger whippets.  :D
your right judy, with racing you have to look past the dog you want to breed from and be sure the are not "known" for producing big pups in their line...no point breeding if the pups come up really big as they wont get passports to race :(

i think the bigger they get they lose what is whippet and gain what is greyhound (w00t)

That was very informative, a lot of info crammed into one post. I've been searching for months for an Iggy in both the UK and here in Ireland. I met a German lady at the local fair at the start of this summer who had the most gorgeous little fellow with her (she brought him with her from Germany 10 years ago) and that only heightened my frustration at not being able to find a single contact in Ireland. Please, can anyone help an aspiring owner??? I would travel to the end of the earth at the drop of a hat if the prospect of owning an Italian Greyhound arose.

Back