The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

I Need Help With My Lurcher

WAFFATRE

Registered
Reaction score
:x my 1 year old lurcher sam is coming on ok but how old do they stop running crazy when he gets in a field. he knocked me over a month ago i have hurt my leg .dog was ok but could have been bad. he is 4stone and 25 inch to shoulder 3/4 greyhound 1/4 deerhound.u can see him in my gallery.can you help. :)

My lurcher is 3 years old and still does that...thankfully she's alot smaller but she has knocked me off my feet a few times. (w00t)

mine is almost 10 years old and still not often gets a little giddy and runs straight for you sometimes hitting me in the legs,can be painful as she is a big girl crossed with possibly a ridgeback.

Ouch :( got a screw in my Tibia crest to prove how much it hurts :D but it's that bit just before the collision where you think should I or shouldn't I move.Think it might be better to close your eyes and hope for the best :D Karen

:x Ewwwww Karen :eek:

Waffatre, I'm afraid i do know what you mean, :rant: .

From experience the main two I've had that did this - shoulder into the the back of the thigh thing at speed had a warped SOH it has to be said (yes I believe thats possible in dogs :cheers: ), I sussed that they would never do that if you turned and faced them as you heard them approaching at speed (dependant on the speed - 'words' were involved and that seemed to do the trick...they were not spoken quietly if you get my drift).

I dont have the answers and i'm no canine behaviourist, just the experience i've had with two of the hounds I've had, so its not exactly a thesis :b . Perhaps your young one will grow out of it-it may well been a case of daft puppyness-(some of them never grow out of that :lol: ).

Wishing you all the best (he's a strong healthy looking dog BTW :thumbsup: )

Sheena

Last edited by a moderator:
you can shout em down itll get easier with age but at the end of the day running dogs love to run and theres been many an accident especially when lamping youve got more chance being bowled over then than at any time i hunt alone and one of my mates he does the same he had his leg broke by his staghound a mile from his motor one night best advice is to take a mobile with you just in case. The pup will get used to avoiding things and yourself as he learns to turn and run at speed accidents can happen but thats just part of being the owner of a running dog

Facing them won't necessarily stop them running into you as someone on LL's dog ran into friends knee head on and broke it! (Dog was ok 8) )

Mine like to run into back of my knees when there is an audience to laugh at me (& pick me up).

Errmm there is a thing called "training"

This is where you actually install some obediance into the said mutt. :lol:

Its a bit like loading a program onto a computer.........

my uncle has a wheaton x grayhound that hit me on a night out lamping...put me on my back for half hour..

to be honest the dog is dumb and dont listen so theres no help for him...i just hope your dog aint the same cos i find a simple call to my dog soon has him come back to my side :- "

frodo baggins, hi. what training would you adopt for this issue?

some tips would be most appreciated.

Hi kitty, i would adopt the training that i give to any of my dogs. Simple obedience training is the order of the day.

So say for example you are standing in the park talking to someone, and your dog has circled behind you, playing with another dog, and just runs into you, or at an angle to you that knocks you over.

What would you do, in simple obedience training?

OUCH :( OUCH :( OUCH :( Yes it really really hurts when they slam into your shins at a great speed

My Hebe does this a lot, she just loves to run & gets so giddy that her wild circles get bigger & bigger & then all of a sudden she'll turn & head straight for us (w00t)

Usually if we stand still she'll jink away at the last minute....USUALLY, NOT ALWAYS :rant: & that hurts.

Years ago Hebe ran into a woman in the park & after grovelling apologies from me & puppy licks from Hebe we got talking & we are now really good friends, & Hebe & her dog Penny are great mates too.

After a bit of training :- " I've got to the stage where if I see Hebe speeding towards me I can shout "Steady!!!!!" & hold my hand up in front of me and ............sometimes it even works & she does a detour round instead of through me :lol:

I just love to watch Hebe & Scrumpy & all their lurcher mates running together, it's worth the odd bruise to see them go :)

I yell STEADY too and it sometimes makes them avoid me if they aren't too intent on their running wrestling match! :))

My greyhound William does this too and as he weighs about 40 kilos you know about it . :oops:

Some one once told me to take a bag with a few pebbles in it with me and if he runs at me to shake it in front of him to attract his attention so he'd see me and turn away. Never tried it so I dont know if it works or not but might be worth a try.

William rarely looks were he's going he once ran into a tree as he was too busy looking at another dog and not were he was going and no he didnt learn his lesson :oops: he still does it (w00t)

Back