The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

How Old Must Be A Bitch To Have Her First Puppies

satiny

Registered
Reaction score
I feel sad and upset at the same time. Probably most of you would be wondering why. Well, I would appreciate it very much if you could give your opinion on the following questions :

1) What is following you, the age for a bitch to have her first puppies

2) Do you think that a bitch of just 12 months old should be mated and have puppies. And what would you do if it was accidental ?

3) How would you feel if that bitch was one of your puppies you send to another kennel, which even didn't inform you and you had to be informed about it on the phone by a third person, when the puppies are already 5 weeks old ?

4) Wouyld you consider to send a puppy to the same country to another breeder ?

That is what happened to one of my puppies I sent to I thought, would be a respectalbe kennel

wow

lot to take in there!

id be not very happy at all. :rant:

satiny said:
I feel sad and upset at the same time.  Probably most of you would be wondering why.  Well, I would appreciate it very much if you could give your opinion on the following questions :
1)  What is following you, the age for a bitch to have her first puppies(think its about 2/3 somone will correct me if im wrong )2)  Do you think that a bitch of just 12 months old should be mated and have puppies.  And what would you do if it was accidental ?(definetly not ,ther still a baby themselves ,if i had an accidental mating the bitch would be straight down vets to abort them )

3) How would you feel if that bitch was one of your puppies you send to another kennel, which even didn't inform you and you had to be informed about it on the phone by a third person, when the puppies are already 5 weeks old ?(i would be fumming and on the phone to them)

4) Wouyld you consider to send a puppy to the same country to another breeder ?(yes cant tarnish everyone with the same brush )

That is what happened to one of my puppies I sent to I thought, would be  a respectalbe kennel

such a shame one of your pups ended up like this ,you must be heart broken :(

[SIZE=14pt]They are obviously taking the St Michael and i would be well angry with them[/SIZE] :rant:

a bitch at 12 mths is too young imo , although there will be exceptions to that rule within various breeds, not however i feel whippets, :( so i would be unhappy to say the least, i have had an accidental litter :oops: but the bitch was much older and was 7 weeks gone before i knew of it , she hid it well , this was my own bitch i add , i would be bloody angry to find out 3rd hand and would let them know exactly my feelings on the matter :- " no i would consider the other breeder on their own merits not what another breeder form that country has done to you :thumbsup:

im sorry this has happened to you :huggles:

No bitch should be mated until shes had at least 2 seasons, and as for aborting , not all vets will do it ,

12 months is FAR too young :rant:

I would be well miffed if it was one of mine , but as already said , you cant tar everyone with the same brush

Oh Rita that is awful :( and I feel sorry for you that it has happened. I too agree that a bitch should be older than 12mths before she has a litter even if it was an accident....and lets face it that can happen to the best of us BUT I would have been straight to the vets. I think it depends on the bitch but my feeling is that any time from around 2 yrs (give or take) is okay to mate a bitch though I would'nt mate a maiden bitch much after the age of 3yrs (this is just my choice) I think for you to find out through another person after the event and well after by the sounds of things show that this person is really cowardly or did not care what your views were or both!! And I would be absoloutely "hopping mad" :angry:

As for sending out another puppy to the same country...well I agree with everyone else,I don't see a problem with it - just because this person has done this does not mean that the other person will too (if you understand what I mean)

I hope you eventually get to speak with the bitch's owner and find out exactly why they did not feel the need to contact you or at least let you know that she had been mated..albeit accidently.

Thats very sad, I'm sorry for you, I can't speak as a breeder as I have only bred one litter and they are still with me yet, but with foresight I wouldn't like it.

I waited purposely until Spry was 3 before I bred from her, which I think is a nice age not too young not too old.

I definatley wouldn't mate at 12 months they are still pups then IMO and if it accidentally happened I would slap myself, take them to the vet for a jab and be extra vigilant in the future.

I personally wouldn't let mine go to another country not that I disagree with it I just dont like the thought of the journey for them.

I feel that is very inconsiderate of the person not to inform you they were probably ashamed to tell you, because she is so young.

satiny said:
1)  What is following you, the age for a bitch to have her first puppies
I think that the bitch should be at least 2 years old before first puppies. 12 mths old whippet is still a child and is not yet mature enough.

satiny said:
2)  Do you think that a bitch of just 12 months old should be mated and have puppies.  And what would you do if it was accidental ? 
Definitely not. 12 mths old is really too young to have puppies. If my 12 mths old bitch was accidentaly mated and I had suspicions or knowledge about it I would take her to the vet first thing to get the abortion shot. If I would find out about the mating later, I would need to deal with it then. And one of the first things would be informing the breeder of the bitch.

satiny said:
3) How would you feel if that bitch was one of your puppies you send to another kennel, which even didn't inform you and you had to be informed about it on the phone by a third person, when the puppies are already 5 weeks old ?
I cant imagine how I would react, I assume I would be furious about it... Accidents happen, even when they are not suppose to. But it means a lot to me how the accident is being handled. The fact that I, as the breeder of the bitch would find out about the accidential litter from a third person would really upset me. :rant:

satiny said:
I think that the other breeder should be evaluated entirely separated from this. If I knew the breeder and the communication would be open and a trust had been established, I could consider sending a puppy to this breeder.

satiny said:
That is what happened to one of my puppies I sent to I thought, would be  a respectalbe kennel
I am really sorry to hear this, Rita.. I can only imagine how you must feel right now. :angry:

:huggles:

-Marina

First are you sure that the info you were given is correct? Not many Whippet bitches come in season so young.

As far as having her aborted I would not do that under any circumstances, unless the bitch was definitely in great danger having the pups. Apparently, abortion does often cause pyometra, that is why many vets will not do it.

Sending pup some distance from where you live is always risky. It is difficult to check if the information people are giving you about themselves is correct. I get heaps of inquiries from overseas, but so far have sent only one pup to Hong Kong. I sent him to people who are well known to somebody I know. But just because one person in that country has done the wrong thing, does not mean that all people will. I can think of several breeders in Australia I would not give a pet rock :)

Back to the age; 12months is definitely not the age I would mate my bitch at, but I would rather mate her at 18 months (even if it is a first season) than 5 years. My ideal time for first litter is about 2 years, their pelvis is not fully calcified and the birth is easier.

Nobody is perfect and accidental matings do occur. Especially with a bitch so young; I would not have been expecting her to be in season at that age. I usually notice change in behavior before they come in season, so i get bit of a warning and start my daily checks. However, i have a 40 years experience, not many people know what to look for.

I would not stress too much; it is pity it happened, but I am sure the bitch will be OK.

Seraphina said:
First are you sure that the info you were given is correct?  Not many Whippet bitches come in season so young.  As far as having her aborted I would not do that under any circumstances, unless the bitch was definitely in great danger having the pups.  Apparently, abortion does often cause pyometra, that is why many vets will not do it.

Sending pup some distance from where you live is always risky.  It is difficult to check if the information people are giving you about themselves is correct.  I get heaps of inquiries from overseas, but so far have sent only one pup to Hong Kong.  I sent him to people who are well known to somebody I know.  But just because one person in that country has done the wrong thing, does not mean that all people will.  I can think of several breeders in Australia I would not give a pet rock  :)

Back to the age; 12months is definitely not the age I would mate my bitch at, but I would rather mate her at 18 months (even if it is a first season) than 5 years.  My ideal time for first litter is about 2 years, their pelvis is not fully calcified and the birth is easier.

Nobody is perfect and accidental matings do occur.  Especially with a bitch so young; I would not have been expecting her to be in season at that age.  I usually notice change in behavior before they come in season, so i get bit of a warning and start my daily checks.  However, i have a 40 years experience, not many people know what to look for.

I would not stress too much; it is pity it happened, but I am sure the bitch will be OK.

I am totally agree with Seraphina but me it would be also very angry :rant:

Seraphina said:
First are you sure that the info you were given is correct?  Not many Whippet bitches come in season so young. 
We have had Whippets come in season as early as 6 months and most of mine have come into season before 12 months.

Jinx was bred on her 3rd season at 19 months and had a trouble free pregnancy and birth

Planning again maybe for later this year at 38 months

But this is carefully worked out for her health and well being

I would be devastated if this happened to one of 'my' pups and I wasnt told

What a terrible thing to happen to the poor puppy

I would not rule out any other owners but just ask some properly thought out questions to try as hard as you can to avoid this situation again

Im so sorry its so difficult when things go wrong

Yes Sada had her first season @ 9 months as well, she has just

had her 2nd one @ 16 months.

K is now 9 months with no sign of anything yet.

I finaly got the person on the phone, and yes, there were puppies born. They were ashamed to tell me about the accident.

I can understand the feelings, when there is an accidental mating with such a young bitch. And one may never say : this will not happen to me.

It can always happen. So that is one point for wich I would never blame anyone.

I always ask the new owners of my puppies, to stay in contact. To be informed of everything. And in this case, being told by a third person, isn't my vision what I had in mind from "new owners".

All this thing made me very sad. I always check as much as possible before a puppy leaves my house, but I am certain that in the future I will be even more severe.

I have myself several imports. and always inform their breeders about important news about their dogs I own. I consider that as a must, but apparently not everyone is of that opinion.

Well I hope that it has been a lesson for both of us...

satiny said:
I feel sad and upset at the same time.  Probably most of you would be wondering why.  Well, I would appreciate it very much if you could give your opinion on the following questions :

*** 2 years ***

2)  Do you think that a bitch of just 12 months old should be mated and have puppies.  And what would you do if it was accidental ?

*** I will do an injection for her to have no puppies ... of course ! ***

***  :rant:   :rant:   :rant:   :rant:   ***

*** As it was said, it have nothing to do with the people of the country but you may ahve to specify them that you already had an mis-fortune with other people on the same country and explain them the problem.

Eventually  will make a contract to explain everythng about breedinga nd only you sel a bitch again with a breeding agreement , why not ? ***

*** Rita, I know a reputable well-know breeder / judge that years ago had let a bitch of 9 months old to have her 1rst litter even , it was an accident she prefered not to make any injection afraid the bitch would get an infection after ( :- " ) and she got 6 puppies !

She registred them and sold them all ...

A repectable kennel and breeder for many people ...

Not for me !

Stephy ***

Just want to make one thing clear Stephy :

I don't point out a finger to the breeder of this litter because of the puppies but am "sad" because of their silence, what in a way I can accept and understand after my phonecall.

The second thing you certainly remember is that in my email achives, I have a request for my dumbriton male. The persons wanted to mate her bitch to my male, she couldn't have puppies under her kennelname. I told her at that time my male wasn't available for breeding. :- "

So please, don't make a remark at all. Thank you.

Parsonally said:
satiny said:

*** 2 years ***

*** I will do an injection for her to have no puppies ... of course ! ***

***  :rant:   :rant:   :rant:   :rant:   ***

*** As it was said, it have nothing to do with the people of the country but you may ahve to specify them that you already had an mis-fortune with other people on the same country and explain them the problem.

Eventually  will make a contract to explain everythng about breedinga nd only you sel a bitch again with a breeding agreement , why not ? ***

*** Rita, I know a reputable well-know breeder / judge that years ago had let a bitch of 9 months old to have her 1rst litter even , it was an accident she prefered not to make any injection afraid the bitch would get an infection after ( :- " ) and she got 6 puppies !

She registred them and sold them all ...

A repectable kennel and breeder for many people ...

Not for me !

Stephy ***

I think I am right in saying that in England and the Kennle Club NO puppies born before the bitch is 12 months old can be registered ;)

satiny said:
Just want to make one thing clear Stephy :I don't point out a finger to the breeder of this litter because of the puppies but am "sad" because of their silence, what in a way I can accept and understand after my phonecall.

The second thing you certainly remember is that in my email achives, I have a request for my dumbriton male.  The persons wanted to mate her bitch to my male, she couldn't have puppies under her kennelname.  I told her at that time my male wasn't available for breeding.  :- "

So please, don't make a remark at all.  Thank you.

*** As soon as you asked questions, everybody is able to answer and make a remark.

Yuo said you were sad and upset and then you accpet and understand after a phoen call ...

Strange way to think , but :- " ...

If you want me to say I asked for your Dumbriton male, YES.

I have no problem with this.

I asked you exactly to sent me his pedigree and photos as i had heard you have a Dumbriton male arrived. I never got anything in reply !

They have never been "the persons" that wanted to breed thier bitch to your Dumbriton male but me and I am single! and i never mentionned I will not rear the litter under my kennel at this moment of the ask.

But to be honnest you sent emals to my friends in Belgium askng who I was.

And no yes I will not comment your story anymore as it happened to every breeder once in their lfe, not only to you Mrs .

We do not need your story to be aware of that sort of situation ...

You are so new into the breed that it is not normal for you but now I had have whippets since 1982 and heard stories like that all the time ... even with big well-know breeder/judges ...

My best wishes,

Stephy ***

Back