The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

How Much Exercise For Deerhound Pup?

Thanks, his 'sister' is too good to sit on the cold, hard floor so she often uses him as a big rug. Well she did have a bed until this happened.....

Thanks, his 'sister' is too good to sit on the cold, hard floor so she often uses him as a big rug. Well she did have a bed until this happened.....

gusflobedk.jpg

simon said:

That's brilliant :lol: . A bit bigger...and that would be such a good picture.

What a contrast in dogs...do you ever worry your lurcher is going to injure your smaller dog inadvertently?

Love to see a photo of your dogs out on the lead, must look brilliant, what a difference.I bet Flo, ain,t picked on !!!

On the lead everythings alright. I've tried off the lead, and Flo just gets hunted down! At all other times she runs the show by administering nips to the nose. I'm considering getting another Deerhound so Angus can have a better playtime, I think i'll wait until he's out of the puppy stage.

what great pics, our dogs called Flo too! shes a terrier, i'd love a chihuahua :wub:

can i ask- how is she as a pet? what is her good and bad sides, im seriously thinking of finding my flo a mate :huggles:

mags

I'm not so sure that she represents the average Chihuahua but she is nearly perfect. The best characteristics are that: she loves people (embarrasingly so), rarely barks, very playful. She is also extremely cheap to feed and vet, and doesn't take up much space (people are always willing to look after her if we go away). Not to mention cute and funny. The not so good sides are that she isn't so good to take out for a walk, well, she loves going out but gets cold easily and is fragile when in the company of bigger dogs. Thats probably the only bad side.

flo_shoulder2.jpg

simon said:
I couldn't get the picture to be any bigger (i'm new to the world of computers).  I would like to get involved in lure coursing but don't know where to start.  I live in London but I am willing to travel.  Is there some sort of events calendar available? Thanks.
Simon whereabouts in London are you, I'm here too. I race and lure course at

Sussex Longdogs although didn't last year. They have whippet, lurcher, greyhound and deerhound race classes. Its all straight racing on a grass track. I've got 5 month old lurcher (Irish Wolfhoundxwhippetxcolliexgreyhound) as well as a 5 yo rough coat lurcher who loves her racing. We also have Indy, saluki x greyhound but he's retired from racing now.

Nettie

Last edited by a moderator:
Simon whereabouts in London are you, I'm here too. I race and lure course at

Sussex Longdogs although didn't last year. They have whippet, lurcher, greyhound and deerhound race classes. Its all straight racing on a grass track. I've got 5 month old lurcher (Irish Wolfhoundxwhippetxcolliexgreyhound) as well as a 5 yo rough coat lurcher who loves her racing. We also have Indy, saluki x greyhound but he's retired from racing now.

Hello Nettie,

nice to hear from you, I live in N.E. London, next to Seven Sisters tube station. I would love to give it a go and Sussex isn't far at all, I will check the site now. How long do you think I should wait before the dog can start lure-coursing?

I'd wait until he was at least 18 months for lure course, all those turns but straight racing isn't so stressful on the joints and he would learn to chase a lure, so would be good training. There are others on the board far more knowledge than I am about amounts of exercise a large breed pup should have, I'm just learning too. Rio was my first lurcher pup but is only 23.5 inches whereas Bertie the present pup is already 20 inches at 5 months so I would also value any advice in the amount of exercise large breed pups should have and how much free running they should be allowed.

I'm down near Wimbedon so some way from you but racing is a good day out on a Sunday.

Nettie

Last edited by a moderator:
Nettie said:
I'd wait until he was at least 18 months for lure course, all those turns but straight racing isn't so stressful on the joints and he would learn to chase a lure, so would be good training.  There are others on the board far more knowledge than I am about amounts of exercise a large breed pup should have, I'm just learning too.  Rio was my first lurcher pup but is only 23.5 inches whereas Bertie the present pup is already 20 inches at 5 months so I would also value any advice in the amount of exercise large breed pups should have and how much free running they should be allowed.
I'm down near Wimbedon so some way from you but racing is a good day out on a Sunday.

Nettie

Do you know if the club meets throughout the year, do they stop for winter?

Also, I don't drive, is there a station nearby?

simon said:
Nettie said:
I'd wait until he was at least 18 months for lure course, all those turns but straight racing isn't so stressful on the joints and he would learn to chase a lure, so would be good training.  There are others on the board far more knowledge than I am about amounts of exercise a large breed pup should have, I'm just learning too.  Rio was my first lurcher pup but is only 23.5 inches whereas Bertie the present pup is already 20 inches at 5 months so I would also value any advice in the amount of exercise large breed pups should have and how much free running they should be allowed.

Nettie

Do you know if the club meets throughout the year, do they stop for winter?

Also, I don't drive, is there a station nearby?

Yes they stop for the winter, and no it would not be feasible to get there by train, you'd have to get to Victoria, local station would be a slow train so would probably take a couple of hours and then you'd have to get to the farm in the middle of the countryside.

Back