The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

How Much Exercise For Deerhound Pup?

simon

Registered
Reaction score
I have a beautiful 8 month old Deerhound dog and have read that he shouldn't be exercised too much (until he is approx. 18 months). Can anybody put 'too much' into minutes?, as I let him off the lead once a day for 10-15 minutes (he takes full advantage of this, running crazy for the squirrels) and am worried that this might be damaging to his health. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Simon.

I can't help sorry. But please post some photos!

Cerito

This is Angus. I've got a chihuahua as well!

1136663374_t.jpg

Its a very small picture but he looks gorgeous!

I met some deerhounds when I went lure coursing a few weeks ago. There was a six month pup bigger than some of the adults. There was a litter due that day, but my OH said I couldn't have one :( I was best mates with a couple of deerhounds at the end of the day :wub:

Cerito

I couldn't get the picture to be any bigger (i'm new to the world of computers). I would like to get involved in lure coursing but don't know where to start. I live in London but I am willing to travel. Is there some sort of events calendar available? Thanks.

Try here for lure-coursing!

Large breeds like deerhounds shouldn't have too much exercise too young - but I think what you are giving him sounds okay - although I would allow a free-run for one walk and the other on a lead.

Angus is gorgeous :wub:

Thanks for the advice. I'll check the site, then it's time for WALKIES!! :)

simon i'd pm Doxhope if i was you he breeds and works deerhounds and his knowledge is well respected. hope this helps

I should really, my Deerhound is bred from one of his bitches.

Get in touch with Bill then Simon :thumbsup: He'll be happy to hear from you I'm sure.

Think myself what your doing sounds about right, they do need to let off steam and I think as long as they are not running up and down stairs all day they dont come to much harm if they have access to your garden or yard (why'd I just say that :b memories of deep excavations at my last house have now come flooding back) they'll take the excercise they need and sleep/rest when they feel like it...think the advice is given to stop folk thinking as they are big they are fully developed.

:wub: Dog BTW

Sheena

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Simon,

going off the age is that one that was bred in Ireland?

bappit is right, what your doing is ok, when playing they will run till they tire themselves out. Too much excersising for deerhounds, means excessive road walking, or any other form of excersise that builds up muscel, done excessively. A common sense approach is what is asked for, obviously 10 mile walks three times a day, or coursing hares is excessive, a couple of miles, and play imo isnt. Young deerhounds grow at an alarming rate, as you will have now probably experienced, its the developement of the bone that is of most importance, too much muscel developement at an early age can hamper, or spoil this.

I could never put the amount of excersise into minutes, every pup is an individual, and therefore should be treated as such. Our pups at your dogs age had full freedom of a large compound, and were religiously walked twice a day, but just a small distance into neighbouring fields.

and yes, what about some photographs :thumbsup:

Yes Bill, it's the dog from Ireland. Thanks for the advice. He's growing well, at the moment he's about 30inches at the shoulder and starting to fill out. He's also getting fast, the local squirrels and urban foxes are getting worried. The dog also goes crazy for white carrier bags! so I think i'd be interested in giving lure coursing a go. I understand that i'll probably have to wait until he's matured before taking coursing up but if anybody can offer any advice on this it would be appreciated. Oh, and i'm having trouble downsizing the picture files on my computer so they'll fit, as soon as this is figured out i'll post many pictures.

Thanks again.

Simon, did you pm me on my website about longnetting?

Dox

Here are some decent pictures of Angus, finally...

gus_sit.jpg

He's a handsome lad Simon :thumbsup:

I can see the family resemblance with his sister? :lol:

He's GORGEOUS! :) (He's a huge version of my little Lupin)

Back