The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

How large a garden for whippets?

mydannyboy

Registered
Reaction score
Hi

Pls help me settle a difference of opinion with my OH

My dogs have access to fields for their exercise but surely not all whippet owners have fields near them.

What size garden would you say is required? (Thinking week day walks and garden play time and weekend field running)

We've a friend with a 70 ft approx lawned garden who wants whippets but can't get to fields until weekends. OH says this isn't suitable.

Cheers.

In my view the gardensize should not be a issue if the dogs get out enough then job done but whipps are adadable so play time in any sized garden and mental stimalation would do the trick

Last edited by a moderator:
We raised our first one in a flat. Though I prefer them to have a garden to run in (and they do now). Whippets are great dogs for any size house/flat/garden provided they get their exercise somewhere else if there is no safe enclosed garden.

Thank you

She would like to rescue ideally and was concerned if a dog may have been previously used to a lot of space to run that it would struggle to adapt. I said a 70ft secure garden was ideal for a couple of whippets to play ball etc along with daily walks. Yes they'll have the crazy zoomies (which she is aware of) but my dogs do that even after their field walks!!!

Back