The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

How Do You Keep Your Dogs Fit

can your dogs tell the difference between 'training mode' when they pull like mad on the lead and 'just walking down the street mode' when they walk to heel?

Whippets were traditionally trained to pull on the lead when walking which is why the wide collar was developed to prevent damage to the neck. I just wouldn't want a dog that pulled everywhere on the lead no matter how fit it was!! :D

Absolutely! For training, they are walked on couplers and it becomes more of a pack exercise. They all lean into the leash and stay that way for most of the walk.

When just being walked about casually, they act like perfect little trained pets.

No straining or lunging. Whippets are great that way - very smart and seem to know when it's exercise vs. going on an outing with their owner.

Merril

sparky said:
hi dessie n Strike, i do let my dogs run free and do a lot of roadwork, coursing, rabbiting ,ratting and anything else they see while out. also they are out daily for a good few hours excercising and hunting so you get a life. we were talking about the merits or not of road work. regards sparky+ 2 happy well fit dogs ;)

Ummm I never said you didn't free run etc .......I was just pointing out a fact about 1 of my dog's ..........I DO have a life plus SIX very fit/happy Whippet's :thumbsup: ....

Back