The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

How Do You Choose A Good Puppy.

WIGGY

Registered
Reaction score
Could anyone tell me how to choose a good show puppy. We've got a litter of Italian Greyhounds and would like to keep the best one for ourselves. We're thinking of starting showing and want a good chance of doing well. Is there anything to look for in particular. Is there a colour that judges prefer. Our pups have some well know lines in them. Do judges get to know the dogs and owners and favour them. This often happens in horse showing. I've heard some beeders run the pups on for some time to see how they turn out then rehome the ones that don't make the grade. I wouldn't want to do this as it can't be nice for the pup to grow up with its family then rehomed at an age they may have started to bond with them. Any positive comments welcome. :thumbsup:

Presumably you mated your girl with her breeders advise, so he/she would be the bet person to ask for help :thumbsup:

I can't help with the question - although if it was me -not that I know anything about breeding, I'd see which one "jumped out at me" so to speak. I've often looked at puppy pics on here and there has been one that really appeals - but that's a personal choice, not made with any knowledge of the dogs.

I'd love tp see some piccies though! :thumbsup:

I'd love to see some pics too :thumbsup:

I know nothing about how to choose the best pup but I would have to keep my favourite anyway ;)

Could anyone tell me how to choose a good show puppy. We've got a litter of Italian Greyhounds and would like to keep the best one for ourselves. We're thinking of starting showing and want a good chance of doing well. Is there anything to look for in particular. Is there a colour that judges prefer. Our pups have some well know lines in them. Do judges get to know the dogs and owners and favour them. This often happens in horse showing. I've heard some beeders run the pups on for some time to see how they turn out then rehome the ones that don't make the grade. I wouldn't want to do this as it can't be nice for the pup to grow up with its family then rehomed at an age they may have started to bond with them. Any positive comments welcome. :thumbsup:
There is a very good DVD called 'The Puppy Puzzle' which gives some good tips on picking out a pup with show potential it is an American dvd but still sound advice and look on the web site which is www.dogfolk.com :thumbsup:

THANK YOU VERY MUCH, IM NOW GOING TO PUT THAT IN TO GOOGLE AND SEE IF I CAN GET ONE. THERE IS ONE PUP THAT I REALY LIKE BUT HUBBY REALY LIKES ANOTHER. LAST TIME WE COULDNT AGREE WE KEPT 2.

Presumably you mated your girl with her breeders advise, so he/she would be the bet person to ask for help :thumbsup:
WE OWN DOG AND BITCH AND BOTH HAVE CHAMPIONS IN THERE LINES. UNFORTUNATLY MY BREEDER HAS PASSED AWAY SO I CANT GET ADVICE FROM HER.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't help with the question - although if it was me -not that I know anything about breeding, I'd see which one "jumped out at me" so to speak. I've often looked at puppy pics on here and there has been one that really appeals - but that's a personal choice, not made with any knowledge of the dogs.
I'd love tp see some piccies though! :thumbsup:
WILL GET SOME PICS ON TOMORROW CLAIRE AND HULA THANKS DONNA XX

Back