The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Horse Racing....ban The Jumps ?

peony said:
stormydog said:
shes arguing with me on the fone now  grrrrrrrrrrrrr
HELPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP..MR BT   disconnect me please  :(

Old Handbag ......................... you will wish MR BT had disconnected you at this rate ................ grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr .... you so know I have made valid points and all of your gibberish, irish twaddle WONT get you off the hook.

Now get back to your travel iron, gay boots and have a calming facial or something :thumbsup: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

:*

Great point about dumb ass jockeys :thumbsup: in the past few weeks ive decided i could ride better than some of the carry-ons ive seen.

BAN WHIPS TOO !! except for the ones up my stairs :- "

Peony stop spying !! i know youre reading this and il take bets that you come back on and reply...

[SIZE=21pt]NER NER NER NER NER :p [/SIZE]

stormydog said:
Great point about dumb ass jockeys  :thumbsup:    in the past few weeks ive decided i could ride better than some of the carry-ons ive seen.
BAN WHIPS TOO !!  except for the ones up my stairs  :- " 

Peony stop spying !!  i know youre reading this and il take bets that you come back on and reply...

[SIZE=21pt]NER NER NER NER NER  :p [/SIZE]

the thing is with a whip though stormy is thats their only steering aid as they dont use their legs so i have no real issue with that as such as long as its used approppriatly flat racers will carry one and it can be quiet dangerous not too the whole racing scene should be more regulated imo it should certainly not be used as an aid to go quicker

Last edited by a moderator:
affieluver said:
stormydog said:
Great point about dumb ass jockeys  :thumbsup:    in the past few weeks ive decided i could ride better than some of the carry-ons ive seen.

Peony stop spying !!  i know youre reading this and il take bets that you come back on and reply...

the thing is with a whip though stormy is thats their only steering aid as they dont use their legs so i have no real issue with that as such as long as its used approppriatly flat racers will carry one and it can be quiet dangerous not too the whole racing scene should be more regulated imo it should certainly not be used as an aid to go quicker

yet another valid point. have you noticed how the whip doesnt come out till a furlong out....no steering needed at that stage. so we can assume then its to whip a bit more speed outve them..shame on those who use it at that stage !

have to admit..im numero uno frankie dettori fan..what a guy ! :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
stormydog said:
affieluver said:
stormydog said:

yet another valid point. have you noticed how the whip doesnt come out till a furlong out....no steering needed at that stage. so we can assume then its to whip a bit more speed outve them..shame on those who use it at that stage !

exactly my point :thumbsup: i also love frankie he is an awesome flat racer they should take a leaf out of his book he can get the best out of any horse an absolute legend :thumbsup:

affieluver said:
stormydog said:
affieluver said:
stormydog said:

exactly my point :thumbsup: i also love frankie he is an awesome flat racer they should take a leaf out of his book he can get the best out of any horse an absolute legend :thumbsup:

But even the great legend that is Dettori has had a number of bans for misuse of the whip :- "

I am a racing fan, my father trained NH horses on a permit (ie his own horses) and I'm not about to get on my soapbox here about the rights and wrongs of jump racing.

What I would be more concerned about is the 'wastage' on the big stud farms who are mainly breeding horses for the flat. Foals that are born and look unlikely to make the grade are shot just because their conformation is less than ideal or their pedigree has become unfashionable, imagine the outcry if it was posted on here that people were doing this to dogs

Lal said:
affieluver said:
stormydog said:
affieluver said:
stormydog said:

But even the great legend that is Dettori has had a number of bans for misuse of the whip :- "

I am a racing fan, my father trained NH horses on a permit (ie his own horses) and I'm not about to get on my soapbox here about the rights and wrongs of jump racing.

What I would be more concerned about is the 'wastage' on the big stud farms who are mainly breeding horses for the flat. Foals that are born and look unlikely to make the grade are shot just because their conformation is less than ideal or their pedigree has become unfashionable, imagine the outcry if it was posted on here that people were doing this to dogs

Mmmmmmmm.....point taken. Are you saying that there are more foals "wasted" from flat racing studs than from "jump" studs ?

stormydog said:
Lal said:
affieluver said:
stormydog said:
affieluver said:
stormydog said:

Mmmmmmmm.....point taken. Are you saying that there are more foals "wasted" from flat racing studs than from "jump" studs ?

There are fewer horses bred specifically for National Hunt Racing as there is simply not the big money in it that there is in Flat racing. National Hunt horses are sometimes horses that haven't made the grade on the Flat or they are bred on a smaller scale from mares who have good NH racing pedigrees but they are not bred in anything like the same numbers. The big studs in places like Dubai breed horses for the flat on a massive scale. :(

Lal said:
stormydog said:
Lal said:
affieluver said:
stormydog said:
affieluver said:
stormydog said:

There are fewer horses bred specifically for National Hunt Racing as there is simply not the big money in it that there is in Flat racing. National Hunt horses are sometimes horses that haven't made the grade on the Flat or they are bred on a smaller scale from mares who have good NH racing pedigrees but they are not bred in anything like the same numbers. The big studs in places like Dubai breed horses for the flat on a massive scale. :(

Interesting topic but NH horses are not bred from only Flat horses are kept as stallions. Although I appreciate ex flat horses can sometimes run in NH as the pace is slower.

Interesting topic but NH horses are not bred from only Flat horses are kept as stallions. Although I appreciate ex flat horses can sometimes run in NH as the pace is slower.

Sorry to disagree, NH mares are bred from and it is their offspring, if the Dam has had a successful racing career, that are sold as potential NH horses. If the Dam has a pedigree 'In the black', i.e she, and others in her line have won races, then her progeny is considered more valuable. The stallions used are Flat horses who have perhaps sired progeny that has been successful at NH racing, or have particular characteristics in their bloodline (eg stamina) making them more likely to sire a potential NH horse. :cheers:

Lal said:

Sorry to disagree, NH mares are bred from and it is their offspring, if the Dam has had a successful racing career, that are sold as potential NH horses. If the Dam has a pedigree 'In the black', i.e she, and others in her line have won races, then her progeny is considered more valuable. The stallions used are Flat horses who have perhaps sired progeny that has been successful at NH racing, or have particular characteristics in their bloodline (eg stamina) making them more likely to sire a potential NH horse. :cheers:

[/quote

Sorry I was talking about stallions and not mares.

Horse racing....greyhound racing..... some see these activities as cruel, but lets face it, there's money to be be made and these animals are bred on such a large scale that there is always a ready supply to take the place of the injured, dead or those who don't make the grade (maybe a bit like the breeding of pedigree dogs too?). I think this is an interesting topic and will make a lot of people think.

It reminds me of a conversation with a naive work colleague when the same topic was being discussed 'all the non-winning race horses go to work at riding schools...' was her matter of fact statement. She argued quite aggressively that no, they did not go to Belgium, France of Italy as live exports to the slaughter houses of Europe, no they became pets...........pet food more like.

But never mind, plenty more horses and dogs bred in Ireland every year...they breed the best in the world!

Back