The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Homes Urgently Wanted

Hope everything works out for these lovely boys :luck: :thumbsup: :luck: :thumbsup:

:luck: :luck: :luck: finding forever homes for these beautiful boys

dawn said:
After a couple of days it has become apparent that Zig and Zag are so totally reliant upon each other that things are actually more involved that first thought.
The lads have spent a lot of time in a crate together away from the family as the previous owner’s wife had such a bad allergy to them. They were cared for and exercised by the husband, and since he left a few weeks ago, they have had very isolated time as the wife was unable to be in contact with them for more than a few minutes. TC actually saw her arms coming out in a rash simply from putting their collars on, so knows this to be true.

The dogs have been living in a heated office (in a crate) in a building adjacent to the house. They have had a wonderful garden to exercise in and are both very fit and healthy.

Because of this, they are finding it hard to adjust to life within in a family home through no fault of their own. Not to the degree of needing house training etc, but simple things like being able to be in the lounge and settle down. They need one to one attention ideally, and for this reason we have decided that it will be best to separate them. They are so focused on each other, that they are not responding to their new family.

It is almost the opposite of crate training, in that they need to learn how to behave outside the crate. Inside the crate they are perfectly behaved and totally settled.

TC took them to Doris's house where they interacted very well with unknown whippets and Italian Greyhounds, males and children. They then went to the new owners house and met up with other dogs and children etc. they coped admirably with all of this. Their temperaments are lovely.

The bottom line is that they are just too much to cope with as a pair and need to be re-homed separately to owners who have the time to devote to teaching them what life outside of a crate is like. They were not mistreated at all by the previous owners, they have just had a hard few weeks being so isolated and need to adjust.

If you feel able to help, or know someone who would be able to take the time to work with one of these gorgeous lads, please can you contact me.

I am afraid that I deleted all of the pms that replied to the original post, sorry.

I would like to thank Karen and her family for looking after my two boys until we find them new homes.

Dawn

Hi Dawn,

Mouse is fantastic.He gets on brilliantly with our two.Has just had a bowl of food,and is playing with his new toy.In fact,he seems very calm.He aleady waits at the door for a wee.He especially loves spike,although spike keeps sitting on his toys so that mouse can,t have them!!I feel like he is perfect for our set up,and i thank,,you,Karen and Jackie for everything.I will ring you tomorrow

Amandaxx :thumbsup:

finleyfoofoo said:
dawn said:
After a couple of days it has become apparent that Zig and Zag are so totally reliant upon each other that things are actually more involved that first thought.
The lads have spent a lot of time in a crate together away from the family as the previous owner’s wife had such a bad allergy to them. They were cared for and exercised by the husband, and since he left a few weeks ago, they have had very isolated time as the wife was unable to be in contact with them for more than a few minutes. TC actually saw her arms coming out in a rash simply from putting their collars on, so knows this to be true.

The dogs have been living in a heated office (in a crate) in a building adjacent to the house. They have had a wonderful garden to exercise in and are both very fit and healthy.

Because of this, they are finding it hard to adjust to life within in a family home through no fault of their own. Not to the degree of needing house training etc, but simple things like being able to be in the lounge and settle down. They need one to one attention ideally, and for this reason we have decided that it will be best to separate them. They are so focused on each other, that they are not responding to their new family.

It is almost the opposite of crate training, in that they need to learn how to behave outside the crate. Inside the crate they are perfectly behaved and totally settled.

TC took them to Doris's house where they interacted very well with unknown whippets and Italian Greyhounds, males and children. They then went to the new owners house and met up with other dogs and children etc. they coped admirably with all of this. Their temperaments are lovely.

The bottom line is that they are just too much to cope with as a pair and need to be re-homed separately to owners who have the time to devote to teaching them what life outside of a crate is like. They were not mistreated at all by the previous owners, they have just had a hard few weeks being so isolated and need to adjust.

If you feel able to help, or know someone who would be able to take the time to work with one of these gorgeous lads, please can you contact me.

I am afraid that I deleted all of the pms that replied to the original post, sorry.

I would like to thank Karen and her family for looking after my two boys until we find them new homes.

Dawn

Hi Dawn,

Mouse is fantastic.He gets on brilliantly with our two.Has just had a bowl of food,and is playing with his new toy.In fact,he seems very calm.He aleady waits at the door for a wee.He especially loves spike,although spike keeps sitting on his toys so that mouse can,t have them!!I feel like he is perfect for our set up,and i thank,,you,Karen and Jackie for everything.I will ring you tomorrow

Thats great I hope things really work out for him. :luck: :thumbsup:

I am so pleased for Mouse and for you. You dont know what a weight has been lifted off my mind. I hope you have years of pleassure and enjoyment from the little fella.

If you there is anything you need to talk through you know where I am.

I have to thank Karen for looking after the two boys togehter Im just sorry it didnt work out for you but I relly do believe now that seperating them has been the best move forward.

Lets hope Hamish soon finds his forever home :wub:

dawn said:
I am so pleased for Mouse and for you.  You dont know what a weight has been lifted off my mind.  I hope you have years of pleassure and enjoyment from the little fella.
If you there is anything you need to talk through you know where I am.

I have to thank Karen for looking after the two boys togehter Im just sorry it didnt work out for you but I relly do believe now that seperating them has been the best move forward.

Lets hope Hamish soon finds his forever home :wub:

We also hope you have years of love and pleasure with the lad and lots of :luck: for the future. Now we have to pray that Hamish is as lucky too, :luck: :luck: :luck: Hamish.

finleyfoofoo said:
dawn said:

Dawn

Hi Dawn,

Photos please Amanda , esp one of Spike :wub: taking his toys out of his basket :D

it was great to meet you and your family . all the best with your new addition :cheers:

JAX said:
finleyfoofoo said:
dawn said:

Dawn

Hi Dawn,

Photos please Amanda , esp one of Spike :wub: taking his toys out of his basket :D

it was great to meet you and your family . all the best with your new addition :cheers:

Hi Jackie,

So far,so good.The only thing so far is that Mouse seems to be picking on Spike a bit.He has pinned him twice tonight,not attacking,just pinning him to the wall and really barking at him.Spike is not coming back at him,being a bit too soft i think.Any suggestions would be appreciated.Pete says i,m pacicking over nothing.

Amandaxx

perhaps hes just wanting him to play rough as he did with his brother . Obviously you are stopping him from doing this ,

Spike is such a sweetie , but every dog has its bounderies .

Im sure as soon as you can tire Mouse out with exercise his `new home training and house rules willl begin to sink in From what I can gather , hes rather been left to be a delinqent hasnt he :( , and he needs to learn to be a dog again . and a well behaved dog at that :cheers:

JAX said:
perhaps hes just wanting him to play rough as he did with his brother . Obviously you are stopping him from doing this ,
Spike is such a sweetie  , but every dog has its bounderies .

Im sure as soon as you can tire Mouse out with exercise his `new home training and house rules willl begin to sink in  From what I can gather , hes rather been left to be a delinqent hasnt he  :( , and he needs to learn to be a dog again . and a well behaved dog at that  :cheers:

Hi Jackie,

You have said what we thought!!He is so confused,poor little man!!Mousey-moo,his nick name is fast asleep on my knee.He challenged Spike for his chew and Spike raised his lips,Mouse ran off!!We love him already,just want it too work.He has been brilliant in every other way.Thanks Jackie.Spike has emptied his toy box all over the room,again,and seems a lot less concerned than me.

Amandaxx

I agree 100% with what jax has said he needs to learn ground rules and how to behave like a family dog.

I think Mouse and hamish were left to their own devices and had no real disipline, play fighting when and how they liked, he needs to learn how to play with the other dogs.

Good luck and dont forget im only at the other end of the phone.

Dawn

Missed this thread for a while Dawn, is Hamish now happily settled to? hope so :luck:

Since this, Mouse has gone back to Dawn who has found somewhere for him to stay for now and Hamish is still with us and our merry pack. He is much calmer but is still a bit nervous and jumpy around our puppy and our poodle. He doesn`t really enjoy their company at all but him and James are fine with each other and he is now getting much more used to family things and lots of movement (he`s not too sure about my dancing tho` :b ).We still think that for his own peace of mind, he would have been better with someone without such young dogs (one of them a poodle who is gorgeous but crazy!!) but he`s lovely and has come on heaps. He doesn`t seem to be missing Mouse - probably because there`s a lot going on here and he gets lots of love.....he`s definitely a man`s dog and although he is friendly and wags at all of us, it`s mostly Gary who he wants to be with....he`s curled up on the sofa in a big whippet ball with him and James now....I`m still struggling to reduce my photos so can`t post one but will keep trying......Karen :)

We are looking for a whippet or greyhound to home, if they are still available we would gladly contact you about rehoming one of them, they are so sweet. We have no other dogs but have children and a cat. PM me if you think we can help. We have had a whippet in the family for years now so know the breed well. My sister posts on here as xxwhippetloverxx and will gladly verify this i am sure. Lots of love and walks would be guarunteed. :wub: Oh and we are in Southampton.

I am sorry to hear that Mouse has been returned yet again,the poor lad must be getting very confused. It is unfortunate that things have'nt worked out for him but I am certain that it will starrt to look up for him very soon! Hopefully Hamish will find that lovely new home shortly too.

Best of luck to the two young lads for the future. :thumbsup: :luck: :huggles:

Back