The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Homes Urgently Wanted

dawn

Registered
Reaction score
After a couple of days it has become apparent that Zig and Zag are so totally reliant upon each other that things are actually more involved that first thought.

The lads have spent a lot of time in a crate together away from the family as the previous owner’s wife had such a bad allergy to them. They were cared for and exercised by the husband, and since he left a few weeks ago, they have had very isolated time as the wife was unable to be in contact with them for more than a few minutes. TC actually saw her arms coming out in a rash simply from putting their collars on, so knows this to be true.

The dogs have been living in a heated office (in a crate) in a building adjacent to the house. They have had a wonderful garden to exercise in and are both very fit and healthy.

Because of this, they are finding it hard to adjust to life within in a family home through no fault of their own. Not to the degree of needing house training etc, but simple things like being able to be in the lounge and settle down. They need one to one attention ideally, and for this reason we have decided that it will be best to separate them. They are so focused on each other, that they are not responding to their new family.

It is almost the opposite of crate training, in that they need to learn how to behave outside the crate. Inside the crate they are perfectly behaved and totally settled.

TC took them to Doris's house where they interacted very well with unknown whippets and Italian Greyhounds, males and children. They then went to the new owners house and met up with other dogs and children etc. they coped admirably with all of this. Their temperaments are lovely.

The bottom line is that they are just too much to cope with as a pair and need to be re-homed separately to owners who have the time to devote to teaching them what life outside of a crate is like. They were not mistreated at all by the previous owners, they have just had a hard few weeks being so isolated and need to adjust.

If you feel able to help, or know someone who would be able to take the time to work with one of these gorgeous lads, please can you contact me.

I am afraid that I deleted all of the pms that replied to the original post, sorry.

I would like to thank Karen and her family for looking after my two boys until we find them new homes.

Dawn

Here are couple of pictures of the gorgeous lads. I so hope that we can find them both good homes as soon as possible.

Zig

Image00038.jpg

Zag

Image00026.jpg

The lads together

Image00046.jpg

Image00047.jpg

What beautiful boys :)

I hope their forever homes quickly turn up for them
crossfingers.gif

I'm so sorry to hear that it hasn't worked out for the boys :(

I wish I could do more to help - all I can do is to say that they are a super pair of lads, either one of them would be well worth someone's time and effort and I really believe that although it will be hard for them to be seperated, it means that each of them will get the chance to grown and shine in their own right - they are almost 'one' dog at the moment :unsure:

I hope they find new homes soon :wub:

These boys are [SIZE=14pt]so[/SIZE] sweet-natured and will be dream pets with the time and the attention they deserve..... we all love our whippets don`t we and have loads of photos of them on our sofas and beds with cushions and blankets....these boys need the same but just don`t seem used to it at the moment and are not settling being with a puppy and a young miniature poodle (no comments please Keith!)...they are gorgeous with our older whippet. We think they may be too dependent on each other for their own good and although they might initially find it hard to be separated, it could well be the making of them to let them be their own very special "person" ....ABSOLUTELY LOVELY SOFT-NATURED BOYS WITH THE WORLD`S NICEST FACES!!! :wub: :wub: and we are so sad that we don`t seem to be what they need at the moment ......we are doing lots of softie whippet loving with them until they find their forever homes..... :luck: Karen

Hard decision :(

I'm sure you are already getting them used to being without one another by walking and caging them seperately so it's not such a shock.

They are absolutely stunning - wish we had room for one of them here :wub: If they are anything like Ruso they will be a real pleasure to live with. :wub:

It does seem sad to separate these boys. Would not a home without children and other dogs work, say with a couple or a single person? Honestly if I didn't have Ruby I would have had them both. :luck: Hope things work out for them :luck:

Pauline

maggie217 said:
It does seem sad to separate these boys.  Would not a home without children and other dogs work, say with a couple or a single person?  Honestly if I didn't have Ruby I would have had them both.  :luck: Hope things work out for them :luck: Pauline

Yes, we have agonised about this and if someone had a lot of time to do 2 separate training sessions etc. it could be an option I`m sure..... but whilst we`ve been working with them this week, we`ve found they get too involved with the other and don`t allow the other one to have loving or training etc.... please pm if anyone wants more details of these special lads.

lots of :luck: finding the right homes for these lovely boys :wub: :wub:

What a shame things didnt work out. :(

Maybe after being kept in an isolated existance for a time they are not able to cope straight away with a multi dog and people household ,

How brave of you Karen to take on two 18 month boys when you have a young poodle and a baby whippet , most of us can just about cope with one baby whippet ( maybe mine are just extra naughty :oops: )

Im sure all of us on K9 will give Dawn , as the breeder of these two boys, as much help as we can to find them their forever homes , wether it be together or not

So come on you lot ,Lets PM Dawn with help and Ideas :huggles:

What a lovely response....thank you :) - I`m not sure it was brave as we know whippets and their natures and have always had them in multiples of more than 1 so thought we could cope easily but unfortunately these boys don`t seem to have had the same life that our dogs have...BUT testement to their nature and Dawn`s breeding their natures are SUPERB and I know with the sufficient time and attention put their way they will be dogs to be so proud of. I know that there is a better more suitable home out there for each of them that isn`t making them share it with as many other little dependents and that this is the best way forward for them. I CAN`T STRESS ENOUGH WHAT LOVELY TEMPERMENTS THESE BOYS HAVE. .....SO HUGE THANKS FOR THAT MESSAGE OF SUPPORT FOR DAWN - we must be able to sort something out......please keep up the help folks, Karen

dawn said:
After a couple of days it has become apparent that Zig and Zag are so totally reliant upon each other that things are actually more involved that first thought.
The lads have spent a lot of time in a crate together away from the family as the previous owner’s wife had such a bad allergy to them. They were cared for and exercised by the husband, and since he left a few weeks ago, they have had very isolated time as the wife was unable to be in contact with them for more than a few minutes. TC actually saw her arms coming out in a rash simply from putting their collars on, so knows this to be true.

The dogs have been living in a heated office (in a crate) in a building adjacent to the house. They have had a wonderful garden to exercise in and are both very fit and healthy.

Because of this, they are finding it hard to adjust to life within in a family home through no fault of their own. Not to the degree of needing house training etc, but simple things like being able to be in the lounge and settle down. They need one to one attention ideally, and for this reason we have decided that it will be best to separate them. They are so focused on each other, that they are not responding to their new family.

It is almost the opposite of crate training, in that they need to learn how to behave outside the crate. Inside the crate they are perfectly behaved and totally settled.

TC took them to Doris's house where they interacted very well with unknown whippets and Italian Greyhounds, males and children. They then went to the new owners house and met up with other dogs and children etc. they coped admirably with all of this. Their temperaments are lovely.

The bottom line is that they are just too much to cope with as a pair and need to be re-homed separately to owners who have the time to devote to teaching them what life outside of a crate is like. They were not mistreated at all by the previous owners, they have just had a hard few weeks being so isolated and need to adjust.

If you feel able to help, or know someone who would be able to take the time to work with one of these gorgeous lads, please can you contact me.

I am afraid that I deleted all of the pms that replied to the original post, sorry.

I would like to thank Karen and her family for looking after my two boys until we find them new homes.

Dawn

Hi Dawn

I am looking for another Whippet to be companion to my existing 4 year old male. I'm new to this site so don't know what the next stage is. I don't know where they are but I'm in Wiltshire about 7 miles North of Bath. I would be interested in finding out more about these dongs, although I can only have 1. Hope to hear from you soon

all the best

Tania

Karenhb said:
These boys are [SIZE=14pt]so[/SIZE] sweet-natured and will be dream pets with the time and the attention they deserve..... we all love our whippets don`t we and have loads of photos of them on our sofas and beds with cushions and blankets....these boys need the same but just don`t seem used to it at the moment and are not settling being with a puppy and a young miniature poodle (no comments please Keith!)...they are gorgeous with our older whippet. We think they may be too dependent on each other for their own good and although they might initially find it hard to be separated, it could well be the making of them to let them be their own very special "person" ....ABSOLUTELY LOVELY SOFT-NATURED BOYS WITH THE WORLD`S NICEST FACES!!!  :wub:   :wub: and we are so sad that we don`t seem to be what they need at the moment ......we are doing lots of softie whippet loving with them until they find their forever homes..... :luck: Karen
Hi Karen

I have replied to Dawn just now to say that we are looking to give a fantastic new home to an older Whippet, we already have a 4 year old boy called Billy. I would love to find out more about these beautiful boys, although sadly I could only have 1 of them. We live in Wiltshire, about 7 miles north of Bath. Hope to hear from you soon

Best wishes

Tania

Many thanks for that Tania.....I`ve sent you a personal message.....Karen :)

:luck: :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck:

sending you all buckets full of luck, well done to all concerned,

:huggles: to the boys :wub: :wub:

hope you both find your forever sofa soon,xxxx

:luck: :luck: :luck: To these gorgeous boys ,lets hope they find a wonderful home soon :huggles:

this is so sad, I do hope you find them good homes soon whether single or together, that is a hard decision to make too and you are best placed to make this. Wish I could help, if I hear of anyone will pass details on to you.

Keep us updated please, they look such lovely lads..

:huggles: Ahhhh such a shame lovely boys.

You have a pm :luck:

Back