The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Home Offered

I wasn't having a go at you in the least, the thing I took offence at was you comment of not being willing to pay for one, most people when rehoming a whippet go deaply into it and if it was the best possible home would more than likely give the dog to the new home, but not to a total stranger who is expecting a free dog, whether it has issues or not and why should they not charge a sum for it if they so choose, :(

I cannot understand why some of the people who have posted on this thread are shocked by the comments given, I would have be more shocked if they had been the other way and you had not been questioned on your motives, :unsure: if free whippets were that easy to come by you wouldn't need to post on here :thumbsup:

Sorry if this offends and of course it is only my oppinion :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
I rescued a whippet at very short notice when the owners left it in boarding kennels and never came back. I knew nothing about it and was asked to collect him asp, the kennel staff had let him go once and the lady concerned had taken him straight out for a walk and let him off the lead, it took her over three hours to get him back which fortunately she did manage to do.

I would have jumped at the chance to place him in a home like yours.

Unfortunately there are far to many litters of whips being bred and they sometimes go to homes where they become unwanted when people realize how much care they need. I later found out in my case that the husband wanted the dog and not the wife result poor dog shut away for hours on end . Then while he was on a buisnes trip she told the boarding kennels she did not want the dog back.

lou14 said:
some unfortunate whippet that may need it  :luck: , and once again another thread that i feel is getting out of hand...
diane

I can understand your fears but people come on here from a variety of viewpoints and experiences - perhaps it all to the good that there is a medium such as this through they can all be be expressed?

Angela

Happy Humber said:
I rescued a whippet at very short notice when the owners left it in boarding kennels and never came back. I knew nothing about it and was asked to collect him asp, the kennel staff had let him go once and the lady concerned had taken him straight out for a walk and let him off the lead, it took her over three hours to get him back which fortunately she did manage to do.I would have jumped at  the chance to place him in a home like yours.

Unfortunately there are far to many litters of whips being bred and they sometimes go to homes where they become unwanted when people realize how much care they need. I later found out in my case that the husband wanted the dog and not the wife result poor dog shut away for hours on end . Then while he was on a buisnes trip she told the boarding kennels she did not want the dog back.

Hi happy humber were you at Windsor this summer? Very best wishes and hope to see you again this year

Angela

i have only ever had to rehome one dog and that was 20 years ago and i still feel as tho i let her down and it was very hard but in my case i didnt even consider selling her my main concern was the new owners and home but everyone has a different take same as selling some ask a lot some dont, its very hard to put your case over on a forum and its maybe better not to discuss £££ publicly and lots off people wanting whippets maybe dont understand the netiquitte(sp) involved

Personally I think it would be rude to expect to have a dog for nothing , unless you were rescuing it as in some of the previous posts .

I find that the posters on here who have puppies (well 99% of them ) do have litters for themselves and just want homes for the `excess` as it were , Certainly not in it for the money .

I think whipet rescue have awaiting list ,such is the demand for `unwanted Whipets ` but they do expect a donation I m sure :cheers:

I have had 2 'free' dogs.

Skye was our first whippet and was taken on from a friend as she was nippinng her children, and Holly was not only 'free' when we took her, but was also on impulse - as we had deliberately not taken any money so that we couldnt come home with her. (we only went to take photos to post on K9 to help her get a new home :b ) We have subseqently spent over £1000 on Vet treatment for Holly. (Money well spent :) )

I really dont think that it makes us a bad home that we didnt offer any money for either of them, it was never mentioned. What we did offer was a good home for the rest of their lives. Which is more important? If I were having to part with any of my dogs for any reason I'd be devastated and I wouldnt want any money for them. I'd be more interested in getting to know the people they were going to live with.

I worked with rescues for a few years, and I've seen as many expensive pedigree dogs in rescue as cross breeds and I personally dont think that a willingness to pay a one off for the dog is any guarantee of a good home.

I'm not criticising any one on K9 - just saying that I can see where rabbit runner is coming from. I interpreted the post to say he/she was willing to take on a rescue/ older dog and give it a second chance, rather than buying a new puppy. Being new to K9 he/she wouldn't have known all the ins and outs.

If I ever had to rehome a dog then obviously the best possible home would be the very first priority BUT I would also expect the person rehoming to be committed enough to make a reasonable payment.

In those circumstances I would probably ask for a donation to be made to a rescue or animal charity. If someone can't manage that then I'd question how they will cope with vet bills, vaccs, feeding, insurance and all the other costs of owning a dog.

Unless, of course, it is to friends or family I think offering a dog 'free to good home' is encouraging people to take it on a whim, without necessarily thinking through all the issues involved. It's amazing in rescue how many people back out of the adoption process when they realise they are expected to pay a set donation (usually somewhere between £50 and £100). As far as I'm concerned they don't want the dog enough to deserve it. I'm afraid I cringe when I see dogs offered 'free' in local papers etc, who knows where they will end up. :(

I should stress I'm not commenting on the OP or on anyone on this thread, just a general comment. :luck:

Rae said:
I'm not criticising any one on K9 - just saying that I can see where rabbit runner is coming from. I interpreted the post to say he/she was willing to take on a rescue/ older dog and give it a second chance, rather than buying a new puppy.  Being new to K9 he/she wouldn't have known all the ins and outs.
I picked up the original post the same way. That Rabbit Runner was just trying to state that it was a rescue whippet she was hoping to home, rather than purchasing a pup.

FeeFee said:
If I ever had to rehome a dog then obviously the best possible home would be the very first priority BUT I would also expect the person rehoming to be committed enough to make a reasonable payment. 
In those circumstances I would probably ask for a donation to be made to a rescue or animal charity.  If someone can't manage that then I'd question how they will cope with vet bills, vaccs, feeding, insurance and all the other costs of owning a dog.

Unless, of course, it is to friends or family I think offering a dog 'free to good home' is encouraging people to take it on a whim, without necessarily thinking through all the issues involved.  It's amazing in rescue how many people back out of the adoption process when they realise they are expected to pay a set donation (usually somewhere between £50 and £100).  As far as I'm concerned they don't want the dog enough to deserve it.  I'm afraid I cringe when I see dogs offered 'free' in local papers etc, who knows where they will end up.  :(

I should stress I'm not commenting on the OP or on anyone on this thread, just a general comment.  :luck:

Yes, I know that I said I had no more to add to yesterday's thread, but in the light of myself questioning certain comments made I felt as though I should dig a little deeper as it were ..

I had two lengthy conversations with people who really are on the frontline of picking up the pieces, one in the general sense and the other more breed specific.

I believe someone mentioned yesterday that were not many whippets looking to be re-homed. Wel this I have subsequently found out is not quite the case, there seems to be a fairly bouyant need for re-homing.

This I have been told is perpetuated by people breeding too many dogs, and perhaps the saddest fact of all is that they are using stock which have known problems or dispositions of varying kinds. It is also no guarantee that because breeders have sold a dog to a person for X amount of pounds that it will all end up rosy, she said try telling that to all the badly bred poor animals in the rescue centres.

So it seems it is down to breeders to ;

1) Not breed so many dogs

2) Don't breed from dogs or sell dogs with known or undesirable traits.

3) Scrupulously check where dogs are going.

I for one will never buy another dog, but will always happily give time love and patience to those who really need it, along with a donation as I have done for some time to the institutions who pick up the pieces.. My reason for wanting to home another dog was as company for my well bred and well balanced whippet.

There are no other motives, as some people seemed to think I had. Now this really is all I have to say about this, and I still feel good about myself and the opportunity i will at some point be able to offer, someone elses failure.. :thumbsup:

I as a breeder ALWAYS take back any pup that we have bred no matter what its age or whats wrong with it.

Rae said:
I have had 2 'free' dogs.
Skye was our first whippet and was taken on from a friend as she was nippinng her children, and Holly was not only 'free' when we took her, but was also on impulse - as we had deliberately not taken any money so that we couldnt come home with her.  (we only went to take photos to post on K9 to help her get a new home  :b )  We have subseqently spent over £1000 on Vet treatment for Holly. (Money well spent  :) )

I really dont think that it makes us a bad home that we didnt offer any money for either of them, it was never mentioned.  What we did offer was a good home for the rest of their lives.  Which is more important?    If I were having to part with any of my dogs for any reason I'd be devastated and I wouldnt want any money for them.  I'd be more interested in getting to know the people they were going to live with.

I worked with rescues for a few years, and I've seen as many expensive pedigree dogs in rescue as cross breeds and I personally dont think that a willingness to pay a one off for the dog is any guarantee of a good home.

I'm not criticising any one on K9 - just saying that I can see where rabbit runner is coming from. I interpreted the post to say he/she was willing to take on a rescue/ older dog and give it a second chance, rather than buying a new puppy.  Being new to K9 he/she wouldn't have known all the ins and outs.

once again Rae i think youve hit the nail on the head and have posted a sensible and honest opinion. :thumbsup: i think the reason rabbitrunner got some negative replies was because they said they wanted to give a home to a dog that would probably have problems so wouldnt be for sale like a healthy well adjusted puppy say.(maybe if theyd posted all their reasons ect the post would have been better received?)folk are saying they arent commercial breeders and yes i agree they mostly arent on here but they still want money for their dogs!if folk point out to this person that they wont give a dog away for free then you cant blame them for thinking they are commercial breeders, after all a commercial breeder wants money for a pup they arent giving it away gratis and neither are non commercial breeders so i can see where the confusion would occur! :)) personally i think this person ought to be welcomed and given help and advice where to look for a hard to home dog and then maybe when theyve been vetted by the people concerned they could give a good home to a dog that might otherwise spend the rest of its life in a rescue centre or kennels.after all i know certain breeders retire dogs after their show/breeding careers are over and if a dog has done well for you in the ring or has been a good brood/stud then surely its a little greedy to want more money out of it in order to rehome itin its autumn years?ive given a few dogs away in my time,not my oldies as i was a breeder who believed in keeping them for the rest of their lives but i have given dogs away free of charge to people (mainly friends) who i thought would be the right home for a certain dog because of problems that had developed,that would preclude the dog being bred from or shown.(but ive also given away free dogs that gained their titles cos i knew the person would campaign them which isnt a cheap hobby and i would gain some of the glory as i bred the dog!)i bred a number of champions in terriers but i usually ended up giving the pet quality males away to friends cos homes for males were hard to find,so i was always glad when someone expressed a wish to own one just as a pet cos pet homes were hard to come by.all im saying is lets not be so quick to judge guys especially when we dont know all the ins and outs,lets be a little generous with our goodwill eh? ;)

Maybe I'm missing the point the then sorry :oops: so does anyone have a free whippet for rabbitrunner that they made a mistake with or over bred, :unsure: well done for wanting to pick up the pieces from these irresponsible people :thumbsup: :- "

Thank goodness I'm not a breeder I think I might be a little offended :oops:

*Lesley* said:
Maybe I'm missing the point the then sorry :oops: so does anyone have a free whippet for rabbitrunner that they made a mistake with or over bred, :unsure:   well done for wanting to pick up the pieces from these irresponsible people :thumbsup:   :- "

:lol: You crack me up :lol: :huggles:

But we know that the people on K9 who breed a few litters are responsible and very obviously care where their pups go - if I were getting a dog from the people that bred him/her I'd expect to pay too, but there are other ways of getting a whippy and there have been a few posts in the last few weeks alone for whippies looking for a new home. For example - if you took Bean on from Kim would you expect to give Kim any money for her? Perhaps I'm just tight (w00t) , but I'd think that a good home was the most important factor in that instance.

Hi Angela Yes we were at Windsor last summer on that very hot day-seems a long time ago now. We hope to be at crufts soon in the veteran class Best Wishes :)

Rae said:
*Lesley* said:
Maybe I'm missing the point the then sorry :oops: so does anyone have a free whippet for rabbitrunner that they made a mistake with or over bred, :unsure:   well done for wanting to pick up the pieces from these irresponsible people :thumbsup:   :- "

:lol: You crack me up :lol: :huggles:

But we know that the people on K9 who breed a few litters are responsible and very obviously care where their pups go - if I were getting a dog from the people that bred him/her I'd expect to pay too, but there are other ways of getting a whippy and there have been a few posts in the last few weeks alone for whippies looking for a new home. For example - if you took Bean on from Kim would you expect to give Kim any money for her? Perhaps I'm just tight (w00t) , but I'd think that a good home was the most important factor in that instance.

I think Kims already pm'd him Rae :unsure: so I don't think she's giving her away :huggles:

You know me Rae :huggles: if I needed to rehome I would ONLY consider the home, but it would be to someone who I knew would be that, not someone who assumed that because I had to rehome I would be giving them away :(

*Lesley* said:

yes,you were right first time there lesley,............you DID miss the point. :thumbsup:

I have paid for a dog, I've given a donation to the breed rescue for a dog and I've had 'freebies'

I have had older dogs :huggles: and ikle newbies :wub:

I would never, ever assume or expect that I would just get one for free, just cos I am (I hope) a fairly experienced, responsible dog person offering a forever home :eek:

Just my opinion but if I had a suitable dog available for rehoming, pending a vet's reference, an insurance policy and a home check with an informal chat in person with the prospective owner I would give the dog away IF I was happy.

I have said previously that paying a reasonable sum of money is my interpretation of proving you value the animal and the time and effort invested in it by the breeder and I still stand by that. However, if an individual is willing to put in the the much needed time and effort that can be needed with a problem dog then why not should they recieve it for free?

I recon if rabbitrunner was offered a dog from a charity they probably would give a donation because it is a charity and they'd feel their money was helping out future unfortunate dogs. I'm sorry but I can't see where a ''donation'' to a breeder is of use if the dog is spoilt goods as it were. Any experienced breeder would cut their losses in this case as they would recognise they aren't a commercial breeder.

If rabbitrunner was expecting a high quality, well bred, un-neutered, 100% healthy dog for free then yeah I'd say they were a cheeky sod but I don't think this is the case here.

I think the biggest problem is what Masta said, it's extremely hard to put forward a good case here on an open forum to strangers.

Back