The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Holiday Destinations

Rae's site is just outside of Taunton and on the edge of woodland and near some good walks over Wellington Beacon and not far from a dog friendly beach at Dunster. There is a lovely pub just up the road who welcome dogs. Look at her website for details. She is away until next week now. We shall be going end of July and beginning of August for the OPEN at Taunton. It is highly recommended and is a lovely clean site.

I stayed in Builth Wells (Powys Wales) at this camp site

FForest Fields

They have the Welsh Champs? show there in summer and quite a few dog owners camp there. I took all mine and had a fantastic time. The site is nestled in a valley and you can walk along the country path through the hills and quarry that surround the site. You can go on all or part ofthe Wye Valley walk which is really pretty or if you fancy the Elan valley with it's huge resevoirs which is well worth the drive.

River Wye at Builth Wells

rivwye-copy.jpg

Pik taken at Elan Valley

rescottage-copy.jpg

Little Dumpledale is excellent Little Dumpledale, totally fenced garden - they have sight hounds! and loads of fab walking, we are going there at Christmas. :thumbsup:

Guys,

These suggestions are fantastic! Thanks so much :thumbsup:

Spoke to Rae last night and we are booked in for one of the bank holidays in May. Looked up their website last night, and was most impressed. It looks lovely and the surrounding area couldn't be better for the whips :thumbsup:

I'm so excited, we're going to go to Bath Show on the Monday which is Hound Day so that should be a challenge, getting Jake ready in a tent (w00t)

Only two more holidays to fill now then :wacko:

Hi TC

You have booked into one of the best sites that we have ever stayed at,and we have stayed at quite a few the welcome that you and your dogs get from Rae is brill and we can also say that the pub is great for food and drink and the locals are really friendly to. Hope you have a great weekend. :thumbsup:

Hi Paula,

I think that you are absolutely right, after the phone call last night I can't imagine anything less than a very, very warm welcome.

We camp a lot and have been to some very good sites (a few slightly dodgy ones too :- " ) and I did tell Rae how impressed I was by the website, it all looks gorgeous. I am sure that we will all have a fantastic time................

Bit gutted that we are already away when it sounds like everyone else is going for the Open. Look out Norfolk Broads we're going to be on a barge with two whippets (w00t) :wacko: :sweating: (w00t)

We'll make sure that we get loads of pics of their site and surrounding walks for other prospective visitors :thumbsup:

jezza said:
Mollys mates  :clown:
We had a brilliant holiday there, worth a visit  :thumbsup:

Jezza, this cottage looks gorgeous. I bet you all had a great time, and I love "Molly's Mates"

Don't think my Corsa or OH's Golf will make it up the drive by the sounds of it though :b

wild whippies said:
I stayed in Builth Wells (Powys Wales) at this camp siteFForest Fields

They have the Welsh Champs? show there in summer and quite a few dog owners camp there. I took all mine and had a fantastic time. The site is nestled in a valley and you can walk along the country path through the hills and quarry that surround the site. You can go on all or part ofthe Wye Valley walk which is really pretty or if you fancy the Elan valley with it's huge resevoirs which is well worth the drive.

River Wye at Builth Wells

rivwye-copy.jpg

Pik taken at Elan Valley

rescottage-copy.jpg

Wild Whippies, this looks gorgeous. I think it's a definite for one of the weeks, am off to investigate when the Welsh Champs are (w00t)

clairej810 said:
Little Dumpledale is excellent Little Dumpledale, totally fenced garden - they have sight hounds! and loads of fab walking, we are going there at Christmas. :thumbsup:

This looks lovely too Claire, and only 4 hours so is fine re the travel etc. God I'm really getting spoilt for choice :- "

Love the pic above the fireplace, definitely sighthound nuts like us (w00t)

Last edited by a moderator:
TC said:
jezza said:

Jezza, this cottage looks gorgeous. I bet you all had a great time, and I love "Molly's Mates"

Don't think my Corsa or OH's Golf will make it up the drive by the sounds of it though :b

Yes it is a bit scary going up the drive when you can hear the bottom of your car scraping along the ground!!!! Luckily the friends who we went with had a 4x4 so we went out in one car every day (and Molly was sick in their car instead of ours :D )

Whats it like with whippets on a barge, and in a tent for that matter!!! We've been considering both for our next holiday. I reckon we'd have to get Molly a life jacket. She does NOT like swimming, but she likes chasing llamas :ph34r:

And before you ask, yes she did fall in the pond in front of the cottage and had to be rescued (w00t)

And heres a pic of the garden and views :)

And heres a pic of the garden and views :)

DSC00706.JPG

jezza said:
TC said:
jezza said:

Yes it is a bit scary going up the drive when you can hear the bottom of your car scraping along the ground!!!! Luckily the friends who we went with had a 4x4 so we went out in one car every day (and Molly was sick in their car instead of ours :D )

Whats it like with whippets on a barge, and in a tent for that matter!!! We've been considering both for our next holiday. I reckon we'd have to get Molly a life jacket. She does NOT like swimming, but she likes chasing llamas :ph34r:

And before you ask, yes she did fall in the pond in front of the cottage and had to be rescued (w00t)

Camping is fantastic with the whips, they love it! Mind you, we don't do "real" camping, we take a fridge and a patio heater as part of our bare essentials!

We do take a crate and put this inside the fourman tent (which has two bedrooms but we only put one up) next to the bedroom compartment. This means that when we are mooching about outside they are safe and warm and dry, rather than just laying outside and someone has to hold their leads (a rule in all campsites). Although we only go May - August, it can still get a bit chilly/damp in the evenings so they like to go in the crate.

Once we come in and do the outside door up they start to go crazy, they know that we are about to open the bedroom door and blimey it's a race to get a space in the sleeping bag (w00t) Jake is a master at hogging a double bed but he is supreme champion at taking up all of the airbed and the sleeping bags! We ALWAYS end up on the floor either side of the airbed on the hard groundsheet with our backs touching the sides with the two boys happily snoozing away in comfort :- "

The funniest thing with our two is the morning ritual. You wake up desperate for the loo and they do not want to move bigtime! If you attempt to zip them in there is a desperate bid to escape, but try and get them to come with you and it's like dragging two dead horses along by the lead (w00t)

As for the narrowboat, this will be a first with the dogs. It's my parent's so we have been before but it could be much more exciting with four legged friends. They will definitely be wearing life jackets though :wacko:

benny is asking for help with holidays with dogs and he works for the tourist board in his area so maybe he`d have another suggestion for you?

Tanya Docwra said:
benny is asking for help with holidays with dogs and he works for the tourist board in his area so maybe he`d have another suggestion for you?
ITS HOTEL "STORMY" FOR YOU DOC !! :wub:

Back