The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Hind Leg Amputation

scratchalice

Registered
Reaction score
:( My poor scratch who is a whippet cross deerhound and lurcher cross, shes eight years old now. will have to have her back leg amputated, im devastated by this, i have to make a decision for Thursday. Scratch broke her leg a month ago just by running like a race horse on the flat playing fields which she has done for years without anyproblems. She had a severe stress fracture.

The vet operated and put in a screw and wire. One month on after a second xray they said that the bones were just not fusing together and that she would need another operation. They mentioned an amputation would be the kindest for her.

The other option is to have more plates and metals inserted where there is a high risk of infection and no guarantee that things will be ok after Scratch having the operation the first time.

I would appreciate it anyone can tell me if their dogs have had amputation and did the lurcher manage ok afterwards. i need all support help I can get im devastated Im in Beaumont Leys. leicester.

From a distressed lurcher owner

faith

Hi Faith. Sorry to hear about poor Scratch's accident. :( I haven't had a dog with an amputation myself, but I have heard that running dogs can do excellently on 3 legs afterwards. I've also heard that a hind leg amputation is easier for them to cope with than a front leg one as they still have both front legs to land on. She'll probably be running around as usual just a few short months after the op. :thumbsup: Good luck whatever happens and please let us know. :huggles: Some pics of Scratch would be nice too if you can manage it. :)

I have known several sighthounds amputees, it was amazing how quickly they adapted after loosing leg. There used to be a video of a Whippet with only 2 legs, one front one rear, and he was able to run and jump. :luck: :luck: :luck:

Look here :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry to hear about scratch.

I had a Boxer a few years back who had a hind leg amputated, she was young when she had it but coped very well - incredibly well - hind leg amputation are far easier than front as lurchers like Boxers are chest heavy - she'll be galloping around within days of the op I'm sure - and will be so much more comfortable. :huggles:

Hey Faith, you go for it girl - you will be surprised at just how well they do - they are totally amazing.

Losing a back leg is much better than losing a front leg, but they still manage even then. There's a lovely family on K9 who have a whippet called Jesse - he had cancer in the bone of his hind leg, and had it amputated. I'm sure Sonia or Emma will add to this thread when they see it, to say just how proud they are of Jesse, and they way he has coped. We were lucky enough to meet up with them at a race meeting earlier this year, and Jesse was chasing his ball on a rope, and didn't look any different running, than a dog with 4 legs.

You will have lots of support from so many people here - keep your chin up, and keep us informed. :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck: lots of luck to you for the road ahead - it will be a rewarding one :huggles:

Hello there - years ago I rescued a lurcher pup and his Mum I rehomed the pup with some fantastic people , some years on the dog was diagnosed with cancer in the bone and had to have his rear leg amputated, I wasn't sure that it was the right decision until I went to see him after the op - he was fantastic running around on three legs he even leapt off of the furniture to greet me , he never thought he had a problem and coped fantastically. :luck: Sue x

A K9 member, Evie, took on a rescue, Willow a couple of years ago, and I hope she won't mind me posting this link to one of the threads about her at the time. She had that very difficult decision to make too, but as far as I know, Willow made a very good recovery. :thumbsup: Her amputation was a front leg.

http://www.k9community.co.uk/forums/index....opic=26506&st=0

Good luck with Scratch, it must be very worrying but it does happen regularly, and most dogs seem to do very well indeed. :luck: :huggles:

Thankyou so much for your messages of support for me and Scratch, it does help knowing that other dogs have had this done. In protest and frustration Scratch has just pulled all the wadding out of her bandaging and looking like some modern art piece with wadding pulled out all over the place, shows shes getting frustrated with her leg. I will upload some photos when I know how to make them smaller.

Thanks

Scratch and Scratch's mom faithx :wacko:

Hi there Faith, June has already mentioned us but I thought I would add to this, we as a

family had to make the same decision as you last September, our adorable whippet Jesse was diagnosed with bone cancer :( :( the hardest decision, but definitely the best one was to amputate his hind leg. I know just how you feel at the moment, it is much harder for us emotionally than our beloved dogs. :wub: I see Scratch is 8 years old well Jesse is 9 so similar age. :)

Jesse recovered very quickly and after only 2 weeks he was running after his ball in the New Forest. ( obviously gently at first ). :thumbsup: He can do all the things he did before the amputation, climb the stairs, jump on the beds :b , and the settee :- " , :huggles: :huggles:

Anyway lots of :luck: :luck: to Scratch and to you, stay strong for her she's gonna be

just fine. :huggles: :huggles:

I will P.m you later, :thumbsup:

Sonia and Jesse xx

Hi again faith, forgot to say if you want to read more about Jesse or see some pics of him after the op, read my daughter's topics (xxwhippetloverxx) ,and then mine if you like. :thumbsup:

:luck: :luck: Sonia and Jesse xx

Back