The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Help!!!!

hewitts

Registered
Reaction score
Dee Dee, now aged nearly 6, has discovered the joy of catching the rabbits she merely chased each year during our annual holiday to North Cornwall. Indeed she celebrated the arrival and photo call of the PM and his, then still pregnant, wife at Dee Dee's favourite beach by bringing me a freshly caught rabbit no further than 500 ms away from where he and the country's press were standing at the time.

Unfortunately Dee Dee has now brought her newly acquired killing skills home to urban Manchester and tonight careered into a group of children feeding ducks and geese in the park to extract a Canada goose by the neck and to shake it almost to death in front of them to the fury of their mothers. I wasn't greatly comforted by the helpful teenage boys who told me to run away lest the dog had to be put down. The park incident officer who I had telephoned to get rid of the corpse from the path where children come to feed birds was pleasant and humorous and not in the least interested in telling me off or prosecuting me but more keen to pursue other teenagers who were riding motorbikes around the park.

I do not want a repetition of this incident. I do not want Dee Dee to kill someone's cat or domestic pet.

Any advice gratefully received,

Sarah.

PS she is, of course, a delightful gentle soul with all humans

Dee_Dee_image.jpg

They are hunting dogs after all and she's doing what she was bred for generations to do. I'm sure a hunter would be delighted to have his whippet bring bunnies home. But since she is a pet and these attributes aren't wanted you have to avoid those situations. You will need to keep her on leash more often if you dont want her doing what comes naturally and also work on her recall, although I doubt you would be able to call her off a bunny or now that she's discovered them, birds. You will just have to be much more selective as to where you let her free run.

Bella is an ex working dog and unfortunately sees any small - med red dog as prey. I have to muzzle her off lead. I use whippet racing muzzles.

You can buy these direct from http://www.midlandgreyhound.co.uk/index.html

I buy 3 at a time to save on postage and have a spare around incase one gets damaged.

Your dog may not like it at first, but they do get used to it and learn to associate the muzzle with running free.

You are lucky that it was not a cygnet that your dog killed as they are protected.

Hope that you manage to sort something out.

I agree with Eve and I would put a muzzle on her .

They are hunting dogs after all and she's doing what she was bred for generations to do. I'm sure a hunter would be delighted to have his whippet bring bunnies home. But since she is a pet and these attributes aren't wanted you have to avoid those situations. You will need to keep her on leash more often if you dont want her doing what comes naturally and also work on her recall, although I doubt you would be able to call her off a bunny or now that she's discovered them, birds. You will just have to be much more selective as to where you let her free run.

I totally agree and would just be much more slective where you let her off....it is in their blood to hunt and is natural to them.

I dont like to see Protected species or anyones pets get hurt either.....but I had a very unfortunate incident in my own garden a few months back when Oscar killed one

of my own pet rabbits...I was devasted but blamed myself for letting him too close to the hutch...so my fault really and not his.

I was free running them in an empty field one day...when a couple and a child walked over the footpath..right at the same time that my lads caught a rabbit....

what they do almost on most days....I felt bad because the people stopped in their tracks and walked back the other way.... but there was just no way I could have stopped them

in mid chase so to speak.

Sorry about the experience youve had...I would just not let them off when there are others around so there would be no repeat of it.

Last edited by a moderator:
To be honest the chase instinct in whippets is so deeply ingrained that you will be very hard pushed to prevent them chasing small furries. Personally mine dont seem to want to kill things but I know plenty of whippets that do.

I really hate when mine hoon off after deer/bunnies etc so I really try and walk them only in places where I wont have to deal with it. Mind you we are really lucky that we have a beach within an hour :thumbsup: . If in doubt I leave them on the lead to be honest.

Failing that a muzzle is the only way I reckon. Good luck! :luck:

Have to admit I'd be reluctant to muzzle unless you had no other option. Heard one too many stories we're a muzzled dog has been found half starved to death when they've lost their owner. We do muzzle our greyhound though but this is in an enclosed field and because she'd be a liability to anything with a pulse.

I note your in Manchester? We have whippet racing at meanley road, astley on a wed evenings. You might find racing helpful, especially if you have to restrict her free running in public.

Have to admit I'd be reluctant to muzzle unless you had no other option. Heard one too many stories we're a muzzled dog has been found half starved to death when they've lost their owner. We do muzzle our greyhound though but this is in an enclosed field and because she'd be a liability to anything with a pulse.I note your in Manchester? We have whippet racing at meanley road, astley on a wed evenings. You might find racing helpful, especially if you have to restrict her free running in public.
i agree,id only muzzle a leashed dog as if it ran through cover allsorts could snag it..

on another note,why get a whippet,should of got a pug or even a cat

I presently have 4 rescue whippets and have had 16 others over the years dealing with many problems from cruelty cases, neglect and bad management. Sometimes a muzzle has to be used if a dog is to be allowed to run free without being a danger. Better that than being PTS.

If you are concerned about using a muzzle, I would like to make the following points.

BUY THE RIGHT TYPE OF MUZZLE (and a spare)

I use a plastic whippet racing muzzle, These allow the dogs to pant and they soon learn to drink with them on. The anti-bite nylon mesh type are not suitable for a running dog and the baskerville plastic muzles sold in pet shops to heavy and uncomfortable. The plastic racing muzzles can be broken by a dog that perseveres to remove it.

Once a dog is used to wearing a muzzle and associates it with the freedom to be allowed to run, they give up trying to get it off.

At this point, I put the muzzle on so that it can be slipped over the ears (just). If the worst should happen and the dog gets snagged somewhere out of sight it should be able to get the muzzle off if desperate enough.

My dogs are all rescue. In Bella's case, a muzzle is the only option for her to be allowed to run free. She has much better eyesight than any human and a muzzle is the only responsible course of action if she is to be allowed to run free which she loves. If she killed another dog, she would have to be PTS. She also lurecourses and again for the safety of the other whippets she wears her muzzle as just sometimes she turns into hunt mode.

I would also like to add that in some cases, using a muzzle short term for about 6 months can break a habit.

I tend to take my dogs to areas where there is no low lying scrub or dense woodland which certainly greatly reduces the risk of getting snagged somewhere with a muzzle on or otherwise Bella is kept on a lead.

Damaged muzzles should be replaced as the hard plastic could cause injury to your dog or another running with it.

I hope that this helps if you have any concerns regarding using a muzzle.

Thank you all for really useful advice (with one notable exception). I will get a muzzle and try and get her used to it for occasional use but will also work on my own anticipation of situations. I think what alarmed me was that it was such uncharacteristic behaviour from her in a park where she has been safely running free (and coming back for praise and a biscuit) almost all her life. She has always chased squirrels but having been quite badly bitten by one (and a rat once) has never caught and killed one and I simply assumed that the chase rather than the kill was her object. Her holiday in Cornwall and successful catches seem to have changed all that but I would never before have thought a goose would either interest her or let her get close.

Husband thinks I should have brought it home for dinner.

Sarah

PS May well try and come to Astley for racing - teenage son would love to see her try it.

PPS to whoever wrote this - I can't quite work it out from the way the posts have gone but think it is "foxbolter"

i agree,id only muzzle a leashed dog as if it ran through cover allsorts could snag it..

Thanks for being so constructive with this completely gratuitous comment.

I love sighthounds and have a very good idea of what they are about -It's not necessary to delight in them killing things to be a real fan and loving owner

if I wanted a pug I would get one and I already have three cats.

I simply thought it wd be useful to get some shared experience of how to deal with a change in the behaviour of mine which may put her at risk. This is what I thought this forum was about - but apparently not so far as some members are concerned

Thank you all for really useful advice (with one notable exception). I will get a muzzle and try and get her used to it for occasional use but will also work on my own anticipation of situations. I think what alarmed me was that it was such uncharacteristic behaviour from her in a park where she has been safely running free (and coming back for praise and a biscuit) almost all her life. She has always chased squirrels but having been quite badly bitten by one (and a rat once) has never caught and killed one and I simply assumed that the chase rather than the kill was her object. Her holiday in Cornwall and successful catches seem to have changed all that but I would never before have thought a goose would either interest her or let her get close. Husband thinks I should have brought it home for dinner.

Sarah

PS May well try and come to Astley for racing - teenage son would love to see her try it.

PPS to whoever wrote this - I can't quite work it out from the way the posts have gone but think it is "foxbolter"

I love sighthounds and have a very good idea of what they are about -It's not necessary to delight in them killing things to be a real fan and loving owner

I simply thought it wd be useful to get some shared experience of how to deal with a change in the behaviour of mine which may put her at risk. This is what I thought this forum was about - but apparently not so far as some members are concerned

Please don't let Fox Bolter's comment wind you up. It was not a typical response of the members who usually post here and very unhelpful. Good luck with using a muzzle......I walk my whippet daily in a park..luckily I've not encountered the same problem...the geese tend to stay a safe distance and are below a reservoir dam wall, so not easy to catch. :sweating:

Thank you all for really useful advice (with one notable exception). I will get a muzzle and try and get her used to it for occasional use but will also work on my own anticipation of situations. I think what alarmed me was that it was such uncharacteristic behaviour from her in a park where she has been safely running free (and coming back for praise and a biscuit) almost all her life. She has always chased squirrels but having been quite badly bitten by one (and a rat once) has never caught and killed one and I simply assumed that the chase rather than the kill was her object. Her holiday in Cornwall and successful catches seem to have changed all that but I would never before have thought a goose would either interest her or let her get close. Husband thinks I should have brought it home for dinner.

Sarah

Please don't let Fox Bolter's comment wind you up. It was not a typical response of the members who usually post here and very unhelpful. Good luck with using a muzzle......I walk my whippet daily in a park..luckily I've not encountered the same problem...the geese tend to stay a safe distance and are below a reservoir dam wall, so not easy to catch. :sweating:
i was not trying to wind no one up..you have a breed of dog that for generations have been bred to work and no matter how the upbringing,the majority have that desire to hunt,FACT..

i have spent many years around working dogs..

Sarah

i was not trying to wind no one up..you have a breed of dog that for generations have been bred to work and no matter how the upbringing,the majority have that desire to hunt,FACT..

i have spent many years around working dogs..

Back