The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Help With Toilet Issues Please!

kissi

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all, hope someone can enlighten me as to what is going on.

Belle is now 1 year 1 month old. Recently, I'd say within the past 3 weeks, she had started to wee during the night in her home (her crate, that's what we call it) Anyways, at first I was upset, cause she's old enough not to be doing that, and it's not like my husband or I was leaving her in there for long periods of time - just overnight. Well one night after she ate she squatted there in the lounge and peed. :blink: I knew then something wasn't right and I thought she may have had a urinary tract infection or something, or was maybe coming into her first season, so I took her to the vets. I managed to collect a urine sample and the vet confirmed that she did indeed have a mild infection. She went on a course of antibiotics and we completed the course about 5 days ago. She was fine for the first few nights but now, she has started up again, and the past 3 nights she has peed in her home! We can't say anything to her as we don't catch her in the act, so I'm really confused as to what I should be doing now. The only thing I can think of is that she now thinks it's ok to pee in her home. Her home is about 3 feet by 2 feet, I was wondering if I should put something in there to take up some space, so she wouldn't be able to toilet and sleep in a different area. Yesterday she peed in her home twice! She had been such a good girl and hadn't done ANYTHING since she was about 4 months old , I just don't know what to do. Any advice/suggestions would be appreciated.

Oh yeah I should add that she is her normal self during the day, very playful, happy, loves to play in the park, lay in the sun, etc. It's not like she's 'not being herself'.

Thank you!

~Sari (Belle's mum)

Thank you, got it, will check it out :thumbsup:

hello, this might seem a bit random but do you have a plum tree in your garden?!

Monty recently started to do a wee in the night when he had previously been very well trained and we found out it was because he was eating all the fallen plums from next doors tree. It turns out that plums are poisonous and were obviously upsetting his kidneys (although he thought the plums were delicious!). We stopped him eating the plums and normal service was resumed :)

hope this helps

Ruth

ruth said:
hello, this might seem a bit random but do you have a plum tree in your garden?!
Monty recently started to do a wee in the night when he had previously been very well trained and we found out it was because he was eating all the fallen plums from next doors tree.  It turns out that plums are poisonous and were obviously upsetting his kidneys (although he thought the plums were delicious!). We stopped him eating the plums and normal service was resumed :)

hope this helps

Ruth

Wow, that sounds a bit strange! :blink:

No we don't have a plum tree anywhere around us, but thanks for the info that plums are poisonous!

Lanakeshena said:
Maybe she is going to come in season.
Well this is what I wondered too, when I took her to the vet I asked her if she was and he said he didn't think so. I wonder how long the pre-season symptoms would start to begin...

:wacko:

If anyone else can either confirm this could be the case or have any other ideas I'd be grateful to know :)

Its possible she could still have the UTI.

One of mine had a UTI as a youngster and it took quite a while to clear it up...it could be worth trying to get another sample and having it tested.

Back