The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Help.... snapping, biting and nipping!

Ive got Rolo getting up at 7am with the others much easier now just have to make a mad dash to the back garden!

With Folly when she was a pup I started off getting up at 3, then changed it to 4, then 5 then my normal get up time of 7. That way she just adjusted without getting stressed or having to hold it to long. It worked for us thats all I can say.

Thanks @Biker John thats kinda what I had in mind

The dog or pup is crated right beside my bed, with the chate serving as my nightstand - the leash, my lamp, the bag of non refrigerated tidbits, my current book, all go on the “roof” of the shipping crate.
This way if they get anxious, are suddenly hit with diarrhea, or there’s an emergency, I am right there - i’m a light sleeper, so any whines or even sudden panting wake me quickly.

Thanks @leashedForLife, at the moment the crate is downstairs in our living room with his cozy bed in, he goes in and out himself during the day and I close the door if I need to leave the room to do stuff which will take a bit longer (10 mins or so, at the moment) he’s happy enough in there and cries when he wants out, but he’s only let out when he’s not crying. On a night, I cover the crate with a blanket, leaving the front uncovered, turn off all lights etc and I’m currently sleeping downstairs on the sofa, (as my other half is a bad sleeper and still at work, and I’m on annual leave) he can’t see me on the sofa, but it means I can attend to him without disturbing the rest of the household. He’s currently having his last trip outside around 11, then waking me around 3 am (not crying, just making noises and scratting in his crate, I’m a light sleeper also), I take him straight outside, he has the biggest wee ever, then pop him straight back in. He usually cries for around 3-5 mins, then settles again till around 6/6.30ish. I’m hoping to venture upstairs eventually :rolleyes:

The overall plan is for him to continue to use the crate every night, downstairs, even as an adult dog.

@Michele83 thanks for this it’s great getting other people’s advise and experiences :) I’m happy getting up with him at the moment, was just curious as to how I’ll know when he doesn’t need me too. Bless him he is just over 9 weeks so he’s doing really well.

And OMG, I bought him a flirt pole, it arrived yesterday, I used it this morning in the garden as he has a good hour energy frenzie when he first gets up, he totally loves it!! It was a great distraction away from the plants!

I’m also using ‘time out’ with him when he gets excited and snacks or nips with his teeth, this seems to be working well, he’s much gentler and if he escalates he usually understands the time out after 2/3 times! Yay :D:D

Yes! Glad to hear it. The flirt pole is great, especially before you're allowed to take him on walks. And glad to hear the time out is working.

I did a similar thing to Biker John, once she started sleeping through, a gradually increased her sleep by 15 mins each night (sometimes by 5 mins each night) until she was getting up at 7 which is my normal wake up time anyway. Good luck!

Just a quick update.....

Time out is working wonderfully, not that we need to use it very often now, if we do, he understands either the first or second time. My daughter visits daily and was usually greeted quite excitedly including some nipping and biting, but now he’s much calmer with very little biting or nipping..... although he still loves her hair!

Sleeping..... I forgot to set my alarm on Tuesday night, I know, I’m a bad mammy, anyway he slept through from 11-6.30! So I didn’t set an alarm Wednesday and he slept 11-6, last night he slept 11-7!
He’s happily going into his crate, no crying when the doors closed or anything! He’s not even crying and waking me up, I’m simply waking up (still sleeping on the sofa) then letting him out to take him outside! ...... this is ok isn’t it? I’m not causing him any harm by doing this at 10weeks?

..... and we’ve had no accidents for days! :D

He’s happily going into his crate, no crying when the doors closed or anything! He’s not even crying and waking me up, I’m simply waking up (still sleeping on the sofa) then letting him out to take him outside! ...... this is ok isn’t it? I’m not causing him any harm by doing this at 10weeks?

My whippet slept from 10-5 at 8.5 weeks old, then 10-6 from about 10 weeks, then 10-7 from about 11/12 weeks - as in she slept through without waking up for a toilet break. She is doing absolutely wonderfully, so no I don't think it causes a problem if the pup seems happy with it.

Congrats, it sounds like it's going really well. He must feel safe and happy :)

He must feel safe and happy :)

You could say that........

4635BFDA-5FA4-41CB-8FDF-D8B10C0F111C.jpeg
EAF5DD5A-06BF-4344-85F6-558FA242321C.jpeg
DF6FA78A-8A99-44E6-BA8B-337445A3CBAD.jpeg

Back