The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Help and advice needed with my new puppy cockerpoo!

Gillymitch

Registered
Reaction score
She is beautiful and we all love her but I am anxious that she is trained properly and doesn't rule the roost. She is 10 weeks old and we have had her for 7 days. She has settled in well although two boisterous kids pose a problem at times with nipping and biting. Think we are working towards a resolution for that.

Biggest problem is her toileting. She soiled for two nights but now goes through with no accidents. We have followed the book regarding getting her to wee and poo outside but to no avail. She has regular feeding times lots of tooing and froing to the garden. We can be out there in the garden for hours but nothing - until she gets inside where she will wee and poo all over the place. Have just started using a pen and puppy pads but not really working out. Really confused as to what to try next. Advice would be greatly appreciated.

You are doing the right thing with her crate training, as it will be unlikely that she will continue to mess in there for very long with it being her bed.

Try and start making notes as to when she goes to the toilet inside and out. If you feed her the same time every day you will begin to see a pattern as to when she goes to the toilet.

This way you will know when she is due to go to the toilet and take her outside for as long as it takes. When she does go say 'good wee wee's' or whatever you want to use, give her a little treat if you wish and give her lots of fuss so she knows she has done a good thing.

if she continues to go in the house dont tell her off, just scoop her up and put her outside straight away and let her finish doing her business outside. Even if it means picking her up mid wee she will get the message eventually.

Some dogs take longer than others to catch on to toilet training but give her time and she will get it eventually.

in terms of training and learning who is boss get her to a puppy training class.

they will give you great tips for your puppy and they will teach you invaluable skills in terms of training her. Take your kids too! they can take part in the training which will be even more helpful to you in the whole process.

Good luck and hope that helps!

Sophie xx

This is a popular subject with new puppies and my thought on the subject is that you need to be diligent to help the process reach a happy conclusion. The happy conclusion being that your new little pal poops and pees outside the house. From what you have said your time to be vigilant is after you have let the pup out to pee and poop. When you bring him/her back into the house keep a good track on what the little pup is doing and notice what a pre pooh or pee dance or action looks like. Trust me they all have little mannerisms just before the deed. Get to know these and keep a watch on them and as soon as you see them perform pick them gently up and take them outside. With luck they will pee or poop in your garden. When they do give praise by saying something like good boy/girl to empty. Do this and later when you walk them as adults they are encouraged to do this almost on command when your out. I hope that helps.

(Just for fun) I read somewhere about hitting with a rolled paper and I recommend you bash yourself with the rolled paper if you forget to look for the signs that your dog is about to pee or pooh on your floor.

Last edited by a moderator:
Any more hints and tips for training cockapoo puppies? Nervous about bring my puppy home!! :)

Back