The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Hello everyone

Pippi

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, my name is Wendy and I live in Lancashire with my husband, four children and two Labradors who are 12 and nearly 5.

I have just been to Crufts and Discover Dogs, researching our next puppy as we would like to try a different breed and like the sound of the Tibetan Terrier. I am now looking for reputable breeders in the North West. Can anyone recommend any breeders who are thorough with health checks and who produce puppies with good temperaments? Any information on the breed would be great.

Thanks!

Hi and welcome.

My names chris and my partner and I also have a Labrador, although she is a cross.

We got her after going to the discover dogs at crufts last year, and think its a brilliant way to get to know a breed of dog.

Im glad that you are taking your time to research a breeder as you wouldn't believe the amount of people who just pick one out of the paper for example. What it does is reduce your chance of any complications with your new pup, but it can never be a guaranty.

I don't know much about Tibetan Terriers myself, and as a result don't know what kind of hereditary problems they could have so I can't help there.

However, There is a Tibetan Terrier breeders and Owners club website which have there own list of 'approved' breeders. Perhaps thats a good place to start?

The kennel club has a list also, however there list is under some scrutiny at the minute as members don't really have to go through any checks other than paying there original fee, so in my opinion the kennel club won't/can't guarentee a reputable breeder.

Anyway, I hope some of that helps and I look forward to hearing about your two labs as well as your new addition.

:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello Wendy - Welcome to Dog Forum! :)

I have a retriever but I did have a Tibetan Terrier Cross many moons ago, they are adorable dogs.. what made you think this was the breed for you?

Thanks for the welcome!

Chris - It's so easy to find breeders on the internet and on the kennel club website but you're right; it's no guarantee that the breeders are reputable. I was hoping that there would be someone here with Tibetan Terrier knowledge who could point me in the right direction and indicate anything to look out for specifically because all the breeders' websites appear to say the "right" thing but it's nice to have recommendations.

Banana - I chose the Tibetan Terrier because we want to try something small for a change and something with a different type of coat to the Lab which we are used to. We looked at the Lhasa Apso and the Shih Tzu but the TT seems to have a more friendly nature than the LA and seems to be better with younger children (my youngest two are 6 and 10) and I'd rather not have one of the brachycephalic breeds so the Shih Tzu was dismissed. We considered the Havanese too but they seem harder to acquire and I didn't find the breeders I approached particularly helpful or enthusiastic. I am looking for a smaller but sturdy and robust dog that is happy to live with a big, busy family and a big Lab for company (my 12 year old Lab is doing well but I wouldn't subject her to the introduction of a bouncy puppy so we have time to research breeders now whilst we still have her). I also like the Eurasier but I think we will go for a smaller breed for the next pup. The TT breeders at Discover Dogs were very helpful and their dogs were lovely- then again, ALL the dogs there were lovely but you have to make a choice, you can't have them all!!!

Hi I had two Tibetan terriers before my rescued lurcher ~ lovely dogs hardy and full of character lived to 14 and 15 years of age. Just be prepared for plenty of grooming and when it snows clumps of snow balls sticking to their feet.

However my mom and dad who are now in the very early 80s still have one who we call Miss Molly and the manage to care for her with the help of a couple of visits to the parlour per year.

The breeder list should have information re hips and eye tests which are key to this breed. I do know that their are breeders still showing these dogs whi I met over 25 years ago when showing mine so a wealth of knowledge and good and reputable breeders with a real love of this breed are available

Good luck they are cute little puppies that grow into very pretty/handsome pets

Debbie

I would also look at poodles... we bought a poodle/JR cross last year and we really love the poodle bit of her.. they are very intelligent and friendly with kids...

We will probably get a full poodle next time...

Hi!! Welcome to the board!! :)
Thanks!

Hi I had two Tibetan terriers before my rescued lurcher ~ lovely dogs hardy and full of character lived to 14 and 15 years of age. Just be prepared for plenty of grooming and when it snows clumps of snow balls sticking to their feet.

However my mom and dad who are now in the very early 80s still have one who we call Miss Molly and the manage to care for her with the help of a couple of visits to the parlour per year.

The breeder list should have information re hips and eye tests which are key to this breed. I do know that their are breeders still showing these dogs whi I met over 25 years ago when showing mine so a wealth of knowledge and good and reputable breeders with a real love of this breed are available

Good luck they are cute little puppies that grow into very pretty/handsome pets

Debbie
Debbie,

With regards to the grooming, I would keep the coat short; rightly or wrongly I prefer the look of the coat when it is clipped! It's good to hear some positive comments about their nature and that they can live a long and healthy life. Do you have any recommendations for good breeders; there are so many on the internet/kennel club list but it would be nice to have a pointer in the right direction?

Thanks, Wendy

I would also look at poodles... we bought a poodle/JR cross last year and we really love the poodle bit of her.. they are very intelligent and friendly with kids...

We will probably get a full poodle next time...
Haven't considered poodles so far! I'd probably prefer a softer looking coat than they have but they seem to have a good character. I've seen some lovely labradoodles, however, with a shaggy rather than curly coat.

This thread needs some pictures of your dogs! :thumbsup:

When you reply, click the "Attach Photos/Files" button at the bottom right of the box you type in. You can then (underneath the box on the next page) upload some images :)

Back