The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Height!

artemis

Registered
Reaction score
Hello All!

Sorry to ask this ! but what do all you experienced members think about the height of whippets in the show ring. I quite naively thought that a maximum height restriction was just that! Would really appreciate your comments :)

where did i put my tin hat? :- "

artemis said:
Hello All!
Sorry to ask this !  but what do all you experienced members think about the height of whippets in the show ring.  I quite naively thought that a maximum height restriction was just that!  Would really appreciate your comments  :)

Hi!

It is not a maximun height and any dog or bitch that are higher than the standard should be judged as a whole and height is just one fault among others.

Henrik Härling

Thanks for your reply!

So does that mean that over height standard IS marked as a fault?

artemis said:
Hello All!
Sorry to ask this !  but what do all you experienced members think about the height of whippets in the show ring.  I quite naively thought that a maximum height restriction was just that!  Would really appreciate your comments  :)

I think that half are bigger than the other half. :clown:

Sorry, I dont like to show biggish whippets & try not to do it. :- " But, I also have seen some real nice big whippets. They to me are good enough to win, but would have to think twice about using one. (w00t)

a little stray from the topic..

how come certain breeds get messured? like miniture bull terriers, min poodles and toy poodles etc?

Told you I was naive! Did not realise that some breeds get measured! Why not all?

beaker said:
how come certain breeds get messured? like miniture bull terriers, min poodles and toy poodles etc?

Throw in beagles from USA. They are different heights from a common breed. EG. Mini Bull terriers & bull terriers.

Dont know if right but sounds good :- "

Aghhhhh......

There are quite a few threads on this topic already, probably about one every six months - might be worth a search

Cartman said:
beaker said:

Throw in beagles from USA. They are different heights from a common breed. EG. Mini Bull terriers & bull terriers.

Dont know if right but sounds good :- "

does sound good :thumbsup:

arn't ours basicaly mini greyhounds :D :- "

:angry: bad becky, don't stir :angry: slappy wrist

beaker said:

The answer is in the name of the breed (s) :) otherwise you would have a toy poodle possibly being the same height as a miniature poodle , the weights and heights for the different breeds are set to clearly define which sub section of a breed you are judging., this is the reason we dont have this in whippets and we just have a desirable height and the whippet should be judged as a whole and be able to do the job it was bred for :))

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll never forget going to a whippets show once. We saw the a VERY big whippet, almost a greyhound. The people with it came up to us & said "remember us"? Yep I breed it & sold it because it was going to be too big. At least we were right about that. (w00t)

The last dog my dad had was a mini longhaired dachshund, he was from the Debrita kennel, anyone remember the Debrita whippets?, I handled Max for him at one show and no-one told me they had to be weighed, anyway I put him on the scales and they went down with such a thud, goodness knows what he weighed but everyone heard the noise, probably something to do with all those digestive biscuits dad used to give him. It was then that I realised why I was handling him.!!!! He couldn't half move though and went round the ring like a little train. Oh Happy Days :wub:

Jenny

Im not even going to comment about this thread (w00t) been there ,done that, (w00t) (w00t) (w00t) a THOUSAND TIMES (w00t) (w00t) (w00t)

artemis said:
Sorry!
Will do a search!  Just asking for advice  :oops:

Sorry didn't mean to harsh, but as you probably gathered, the height issue leads to long and heated discussions and you may get lots of the info you require from old threads as it has definitely been discussed in some length before!! I'm sure you will find all the info you would want...and more!! :D

quintessence said:
The last dog my dad had was a mini longhaired dachshund, he was from the Debrita kennel, anyone remember the Debrita whippets?, I handled Max for him at one show and no-one told me they had to be weighed, anyway I put him on the scales and they went down with such a thud, goodness knows what he weighed but everyone heard the noise, probably something to do with all those digestive biscuits dad used to give him. It was then that I realised why I was handling him.!!!!  He couldn't half move though and went round the ring like a little train.  Oh Happy Days  :wub:

Jenny

i knew the dixons in the late 70's early 80's when they had a manchester terrier called debrita delectable.i think that was the first manny i saw locally and soon after that i bought one. :thumbsup:

Back