The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Have Been Trying To Gey Ig For Over 2 Years

lifesabeach11

Registered
Reaction score
Hi i have been trying to get an IG for over 2 years.I have been on oodles but i am always scared that they not good breeders and back out.

can anyone put me in the right direction of a decent breeder. I live on mersea island in Essex we have a lovely beach and plenty of walks ,im sure i could give one of theses little dogs a good home.I have put my name down on the rehoming scheme i saw advertised on this forum so maybe i will be lucky there.

hope you can help

Hi, Oodles and pre-loved are full of dog traffickers! There are some breeders, and I think some puppies available just over the border from you in Norfolk.

Hi and welcome to the forum. :thumbsup:

I don't have an Iggy, but love to read about them on K9. :wub: :wub: :wub: From what I have read on here they are not the easiest breed to have. :lol: Make sure you have done a lot of research and are sure this is the breed you really want.

I know people do have to wait a long time for a puppy from a reputable breeder and they are always very careful about where they home their puppies. It would be useful for you to go along to a dog show (where Iggies are being shown) and talk to people to gain more information and also to contact one of the Italian Greyhound Clubs in this country (do a google search).

Also, there are some 'pinned' topics in this section of the forum with a lot of helpful information about buying a puppy etc.

Good luck in your search. :luck: :luck:

Last edited by a moderator:
Nicky12 on here has some lovely Iggies, I'm sure she would be happy to talk to you about them ;-)

Hi and welcome to the forum. :thumbsup:
I don't have an Iggy, but love to read about them on K9. :wub: :wub: :wub: From what I have read on here they are not the easiest breed to have. :lol: Make sure you have done a lot of research and are sure this is the breed you really want.

I know people do have to wait a long time for a puppy from a reputable breeder and they are always very careful about where they home their puppies. It would be useful for you to go along to a dog show (where Iggies are being shown) and talk to people to gain more information and also to contact one of the Italian Greyhound Clubs in this country (do a google search).

Also, there are some 'pinned' topics in this section of the forum with a lot of helpful information about buying a puppy etc.

Good luck in your search. :luck: :luck:
Good sound advice from Sarah.

Thank you sarah.

I think i have read everything on every site about IG,s in the last 2 1/2 years .I think i could write a boook lol

But i wont give up.

Well, you have come to the right place. There are several people on here who breed Italian Greyhounds and who have litters at the moment so hopefully you will get fixed up fairly quickly.

Good luck, let us know how you get on :luck:

Just made an enquiry on itsmymarket about a blue boy in Hemel Hempstead ,Few emails back and forth then they come out with if you would like to come to the Orkneys to see them .lololo i said its a bit far away and they said we can have it trasported for £100.

i told them no thanks, they got back to me and said why was i wasting there time. i wont put my reply on here or you will ban me.

i have reported them ,dont know if it does any good

I have just been to have a look at this site. OMG I never realised the bottom of the Iggie market have dropped out to this level whereby there must be at least 30 adverts for free iggies with or without bows stuck on their heads (w00t)

There has been a lot of adverts recently for Iggie pups at £250 which is a scam from abroad. They use library photos of iggies. You send the money then you wait for your pup, then you wait, and wait and wait.

I have just been to have a look at this site. OMG I never realised the bottom of the Iggie market have dropped out to this level whereby there must be at least 30 adverts for free iggies with or without bows stuck on their heads (w00t)
There has been a lot of adverts recently for Iggie pups at £250 which is a scam from abroad. They use library photos of iggies. You send the money then you wait for your pup, then you wait, and wait and wait.
Thats the one with the bow that i reported. I think most of them on there are scams no wonder its been nearly 3 years waiting on one.

Ive never had an IG so cant give any advice as far as that goes but what I would say to you is that it is always best to go with a recommendation for a breeder, it might mean waiting a bit longer but it will be worth it! please do not look on some of the internet sites, not all but certainly a lot of the breeders who have to advertise on sites like this are far from desirable, as you have already found out :thumbsup: your puppy will be with you for a long time so please choose wisely :)) :) )

The Kennel club website will have a list of registered breeders. You can contact them and put your name on the waiting list.

Are you sure you want an Iggy? I used to think I wanted one to add to the whippets ( they are soo cute and adorable ) until I met my friend's one. Her Iggy is hugely energetic and very vocal. More like a yappy toy dog than a whippet (boy am I in for it now ;) :D :- )

I ended up with Lilly instead who is a small Cornstalk bred whippet. Iggy sized put quiet and beautiful :wub:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thats the first time i have heard that they are yappy dogs.

I dint know about them until i moved to Mersea island 4 years when i saw a lady walking 2 i just fell for them.I went home googled dog that looks like small greyhound and up it came up with Italian greyhounds and my search started and led to here yesterday.

Thank you all so much for your help, im sure im going to need a lot more over the next few months as i am now nearly a proud owner of a little blue boy. With help from you all i found a lovely lady who has kindly let me have one of her babies. x

More like a yappy toy dog than a whippet (boy am I in for it now ;) :D :- )

Actually you are absolutely right :thumbsup:

yep agree with you both, nothing like a whippet so much madder and very very vocal and demand way more attention and time than a whippet (w00t)

yep agree with you both, nothing like a whippet so much madder and very very vocal and demand way more attention and time than a whippet (w00t)
It's unbelievable how high they can jump from a standing position too. Mine can jump up onto the kitchen worktops or tables, from the floor, no problem. :rolleyes:

My friend has IG's and i adore them but they scare the living daylights out of me so i'd never have one. I love to watch hers but they are like suicide dogs. I've seen them jump on kitchen worktops and have the zoomies.

When i meet her at shows they are like different dogs, so laid back it's hard to believe they are such nutters at home LOL.

Best of luck with yours and get him insured! :thumbsup:

Twiglet is 6 months old now,reading back on theres post im glad to say he is not a yappy dog or even a barking dog very quiet, but boy is he a nutter lol

the first 5 months were a total shock to the system even tho i had read up on them you really dont realise what they are like until you get one.

At one point i thought he would have to go back. But i pulled myself together and said to myself he is just a pup and get on with it. we have finally got there we are used to his little ways he makes us laugh a lot and boy do i get the longest cuddles(cuddled in my dressing gown as i type.)lol.he was our first ever dog and i think i through myself in at the deep end.

thanks again to all on the forum who helped me get him x

Back