The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Has Anyone Heard How The Whippet Community Is In Vic?

Kirislin contacted the person who responded to me about 3 hours ago TC so the news was pretty fresh. :)
Thank you, you're a star. Sooo cheeky, but if you happen to speak to them again, please could you say that TC sends love and best wishes and a hell of a lot of hugs.

It's a lot to ask I know, and don't worry if they can't pass it on, but I want her to know we're thinking of her if that's possible.

Thank you so much

TCx

This is just awful... what a horrific situation these poor folk find themselves in, I hope everyone can find a safe place. I cannot comprehend the speed this fire takes hold and spreads and if indeed they were started intentionally then words fail me.

This is really awfull, those poor people having to listen to their dogs dying. You feel so helpless over here, unable to do anything. My heart goes out to them all.

Stay safe everyone :luck: :luck: :luck:

Kirislin contacted the person who responded to me about 3 hours ago TC so the news was pretty fresh. :)
Thank you, you're a star. Sooo cheeky, but if you happen to speak to them again, please could you say that TC sends love and best wishes and a hell of a lot of hugs.

It's a lot to ask I know, and don't worry if they can't pass it on, but I want her to know we're thinking of her if that's possible.

Thank you so much

TCx
Message passed. :)

I saw Parnew Whippets posting on Ozshow (Aussie Show forum on Yahoo) seeking news on Whippet breeders in the area. All safely accounted for so far.

Thank you so much, I really appreciate it.

Sometimes it's awful to have the internet and for things to travel so quickly, but at times like these it is AMAZING to be able to know that people the other side of the world are okay.

TCx

There does not seem to be anything major in the area Kirislin is, at least not on this website, they may be without power though
This has changed now Lida. Streets surrounding Linda's are under ember attack.

Stay safe all of you.

The TV isn't giving up to date information, you need the ABC - 774 which is broadcasting 24/7 updates from the CFA (Country Fire Authority). I have just heard that the Beenak fire has changed direction & is heading towards Gembrook which is only 8kms from here. I've sent a message to Bookworm at his work to warn him. I'm about to pack the car & stand ready to run.

The ABC has just said the fire on Mt. Riddell in Healesville is out of control. Linda Meerman - Krislin - lives on its slopes. I know she evacuated her horse to the Pony Club ground yesterday & her car was packed ready to go. Run, Linda, run - the time has come to go.

Keep safe Gail and the Two Peter's.

I am listening to 774 and it is not sounding good up Linda's way. They were having problems with their water supply, thankfully that has been fixed, but they are under ember attack in streets surrounding her home.

I just can't imagine how horrific the fires must be. Hope that everyone and their animals comes through this safely.

Gill

Stay safe all of you.
It's Monday, 5pm. Last count 750 houses have gone, 136 people dead. They are just the people who have been identified & families notified, it doesn't include the pile at the morgue or those still to be found in cars & houses etc. It's an absolutely horrific task for the people trying to identify people by DNA alone. The mother of a whippet breeder had to provide DNA this morning. Her sister & 4 children are missing. The most well known Victorian breeders of a large terrier breed had to run. They crammed as many dogs as they could in their dog trailer & had to leave the others behind in their kennels. On the road the fire overtook them. They jumped out of the car & ran for their lives into a field that already burned. The fire engulfed the car & trailer & they had to listen to their dogs' screams as they were incinerated. They also lost their house & the other dogs left behind. They have nothing but each other & the clothes they stand up in. Remember these fires are the height of a 5 storey building, travelling up to 100kph. It's a hell you cannot even begin to imagine. The burning embers can travel from 5 - 50 kms ahead of the fire front & they cause more fires as they land in tinder dry forest or the roof of a house.

The TV isn't giving up to date information, you need the ABC - 774 which is broadcasting 24/7 updates from the CFA (Country Fire Authority). I have just heard that the Beenak fire has changed direction & is heading towards Gembrook which is only 8kms from here. I've sent a message to Bookworm at his work to warn him. I'm about to pack the car & stand ready to run.

The ABC has just said the fire on Mt. Riddell in Healesville is out of control. Linda Meerman - Krislin - lives on its slopes. I know she evacuated her horse to the Pony Club ground yesterday & her car was packed ready to go. Run, Linda, run - the time has come to go.

I must go too. As I type I'm looking out at a mild, gently sunny summer day - it could become an inferno within hours so I have work to do.

Gail Knightbridge.

Thanks for the information and please keep safe.

This is horrendous i have sat here in tears feeling so helpless when people and their animals are being burnt to death........

God, it's so awful, it makes you feel so helpless, so very sad for all the people. Words fail me.

God speed to a safe place for all out there, thinking of everybody, too far away to be of help, but thinking of you all

Heather

My husband and I sat there in tears last night watching the updates, hoping our friends are safe. I am a Registered Nurse and cant imagine how overloaded the hospitals are at the moment with injured and burnt people. My thoughts are with those who have lsot family and homes. But i was also a Vet Nurse for 18 years and my husband is a vet and i just cant help thnking of all the animals, stock and wildlife that have died horribly or are still injured. I know animals are the last priority in situations like this, but i hope the RSPCA or some sort of animal rescue operation is underway to begin helping them. I saw a man on the news getting angry at police because they would let him go back to his burnt out house and look for his horse and animals. How helpless he must have felt :(

Just to let you know the dobermann people aren't missing as advised on the VCA website ... their home was one of only two in the street that survived as they had a sprinkler system attached to their roof for such an emergency ... Everything else on their property is gone and they are effectively trapped at the moment and still can't get out but they and their animals are fine and they have enough food for the moment.

The VCA have been informed of their status

Last edited by a moderator:
Just to let you know the dobermann people aren't missing as advised on the VCA website ... their home was one of only two in the street that survived as they had a sprinkler system attached to their roof for such an emergency ... Everything else on their property is gone and they are effectively trapped at the moment and still can't get out but they and their animals are fine and they have enough food for the moment.
The VCA have been informed of their status
Thank God for that. "no contact" sounded ominous under the circumstances.

This is just terrible :( Sat here in tears feeling very guilty for having a 'bad day' :b

No words will help at the moment :(

Lets hope everyone stays safe :huggles:

God, it's so awful, it makes you feel so helpless, so very sad for all the people. Words fail me.
So true, after watching the news tonight....seeing people fleeing their homes with animals....lives lost etc...

so very sad...and also to learn its not nature thats caused it...but arsonists...

Last edited by a moderator:
Kirislin is back at her home this morning. It is still safe but the fire risk continues. :(

Thank you so much

TCx
Message passed. :)

I saw Parnew Whippets posting on Ozshow (Aussie Show forum on Yahoo) seeking news on Whippet breeders in the area. All safely accounted for so far.

Thanks, nice to know they are safe.

This would be the worst thing that I have seen, the amount of lives lost both human and animals is just ....... well what can you say, just give me a few moments out in the bush with the ones that started these fires and we can see how they like running for there lives :ph34r: :rant: :rant: , we have some doggie stuff to donate to these people that need crates and bedding for there homeless dogs. :))

I ask you all if you would follow the links on the other thread and enter at least one dog in the virtual dog show just to help our fellow dog people, this would mean so much to the dog community and be so very well received.

To all those people affected we send you our heart felt thoughts and may time heal you massive losses of loved ones and animals :huggles: :huggles:

From all of use here at Parnew.

Kirislin is back at her home this morning. It is still safe but the fire risk continues. :(
Good to know she is safe now.

Its just terrible what is happening, it will take them so long to return to normality of any sort

My thoughts and Prayers are with them all

Back