The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Harness Recommendation

TURBO

Registered
Reaction score
Im thinking of getting my boy a harness because he pulls alot especially when he sees a cat . ( then he goes mad trying to get to it !!! ) . but am wanting one he can run in . Is it safe to let him run with it on ? would like it padded for him .

Can any k9 ers recommend one please .

Thank-you

TURBO said:
Im thinking of getting my boy a harness because he pulls alot especially when he sees a cat . ( then he goes mad trying to get to it !!! ) . but am wanting one he can run in . Is it safe to let him run with it on ? would like it padded for him . Can any k9 ers recommend one please .

Thank-you

how old is he? because i have heard that they can do harm to some youngsters.

i myself would teach him not to pull on a normal collar, i find a sharp short jerk on the lead and some praise when he is good normally does the trick. :thumbsup:

good luck :thumbsup:

TURBO said:
Im thinking of getting my boy a harness because he pulls alot especially when he sees a cat . ( then he goes mad trying to get to it !!! ) . but am wanting one he can run in . Is it safe to let him run with it on ? would like it padded for him . Can any k9 ers recommend one please .

Thank-you

I

I domt know a lot about a harness for a whippet but with the bull terrier we put them on so they could even pull more to build them up did u consider a head halter after all if u control the heah the body must follow one man can control a horse like this But to chase a cat or small animal is a instint we have spent hundreds of years puting into the whippet so dont be too cross with the dog

[mine hates cats and gos mad pulling so hard she nearly srangles her self] :oops:

sambo ferret said:
TURBO said:

Thank-you

Turbo is 19 months old now . When i see a cat i shorten his lead up and he goes crazey for it , screaming at the poor moggy(that makes people stare at you ). He pulls so much he is on his back legs !! Ive tryed the head collars but he claws at it so much .

I domt know a lot about a harness for a whippet but with the bull terrier we put them on so they could even pull more to build them up did u consider a head halter after all if u control the heah the body must follow one man can control a horse like this But to chase a cat or small animal is a instint we have spent hundreds of years puting into the whippet so dont be too cross with the dog

[mine hates cats and gos mad pulling so hard she nearly srangles her self] :oops:

Have a read about these balance harnesses turbo, my trainer recommended them to help stop pulling and i've got on really well with them. :thumbsup:

www.mekuti.co.uk

raceylady said:
Have a read about these balance harnesses turbo, my trainer recommended them to help stop pulling and i've got on really well with them.  :thumbsup:
www.mekuti.co.uk

I've just had a look at those and they look quite good and probably do help with pulling. Only thing is you need two hands so it would be difficult if you were walking more then one dog wouldn't it? Or do you find you can cope?

Last edited by a moderator:
Very good point Judy! It takes some practice if you have more than one (i've got two) but it becomes second nature after a while.

Also once your "pulling" dog settles down (this obviously varies from dog to dog) you can go back to just having the one lead on the harness which i am down to on mine now... :D

Off topic slightly - but this reminds me of when I encouraged mine to pull in order to build and strengthen muscle.

I used to take 5 into our local woods, then let the more trusted one off the lead. As she foraged on ahead the other 4 went ballistic trying to get up to her!

It worked a treat for them - not so great for my knees however as I now have footballers knees without actually having played football :)

My permanently damaged ligaments still cause a partial stumble to this day :wub:

(what'd ya mean you thought it was the drink???!!!)

Last edited by a moderator:
I use padded harnesses for my 2. It stopped one of my dogs from pulling just by putting it on her, the dog still pulls but he is a lot easier to handle with it on - takes some getting used to though. Molly goes wild when she sees a cat, in fact, just saying the words 'pussy cats' sends her into a frenzy!

I have heard a lot of good reports about the mekuti harness but have not tried one. The harnesses I use come from here They are not escape proof though so I attach the harness to their collar by using a halti link.

Here's a pic

Malham050.jpg

Only one thing I would say, Mollys doesn't fit amazingly well under her front legs but Lennys is fine. Molly is a bit of a funny shape though, too skinny for her own good :) They don't rub at all though.

One of our dogs pulls really hard on the lead. We have tried harnesses but, our latest thing is a latex lead called 'wacky walk'r. Try collarways.co.uk. They are really good if you have a strong dog.

SUNDANCE said:
One of our dogs pulls really hard on the lead.  We have tried harnesses but, our latest thing is a latex lead called 'wacky walk'r.  Try collarways.co.uk.  They are really good  if you have a strong dog.
We tried one of those shock absorbing leads once but had problems with Molly (the dog in the pic) because although she can pull quite strongly she isn't very heavy so she pulled and then pinged back once she stopped pulling :lol: very funny but we thought it wasn't fair having a laugh at her expense!!! She literally got lifted off her feet :lol:

jezza said:
SUNDANCE said:
One of our dogs pulls really hard on the lead.  We have tried harnesses but, our latest thing is a latex lead called 'wacky walk'r.  Try collarways.co.uk.  They are really good  if you have a strong dog.
We tried one of those shock absorbing leads once but had problems with Molly (the dog in the pic) because although she can pull quite strongly she isn't very heavy so she pulled and then pinged back once she stopped pulling :lol: very funny but we thought it wasn't fair having a laugh at her expense!!! She literally got lifted off her feet :lol:

Poor Molly , but can imagine a bungee whippy !!!! Lol (w00t)

I would like to thank everyone for your advice . Cheers Raceylady for saying bout the Mekuti balance harness . I rang them up and the lady was really helpful so ive ordered one , shall try this and see how Turbo gets on . - will mean taking him out on his own at first till we get use to it but hey quality time together . But if no success will it i shall give the Wacy walk r a go . Cheers again . Emma

I have a puller, he walks on two legs mostly. I have to say I never discouraged it as I read that it is a brilliant way of building up muscle for racing..........The downside is I now have Golfer's Elbow on the walking side (left) despite being right-handed. Not sure I would let it happen again, I feel like I have had a stroke in the morning as i have no grip and numbness in the left hand :- " The harnesses look well worth it :thumbsup:

TURBO said:

Thank-you

2 of my lot wear harnesses (not because they pull, but because of having bad backs) ....I use the car harnesses type like the RAC's as there's no pressure on the neck or back ..... their chests take most of the pressure ...though I can tell you when they see a cat it doesn't stop them pulling :lol: :oops:

Back