The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Harness or Collar?

I have to get another harness for Eddi, he bit through the first one early on when he was manic going for walks.:rolleyes: The second one has broken at the adjusting catch so it's too big for him now. I sit right that you can get a harness to stop pulling? Anybody used one and what did you think?

Harnesses with a front ring can help - the Mekuti get good reviews.

Also check out Kikopup - giving in to leash pressure -

leash walking- loose leash - YouTube

(Hope this works, very dodgy wifi)
Thanks again. I hope the harness stops him from pulling, I doubt it though I have to use a Halti with him as he pulls dreadfully. When he pulls he goes flat on the floor front legs and back legs spread out beside him. He really is a headstrong little chap. If I manage to curb his nuttiness, I'm gong to write a book.

Not a fan of harnesses, but it seems to be the in thing these days every other dog you see is wearing one. It does not stop a dog from pulling infacr it gives the dog more leverage to pull against if it’s a puller..they lean into it and use shoulders to work with the harness. Other than little dogs that don’t pull I would not use one, find the correct collar and lead to use and work on any pulling.

Not a fan of harnesses, but it seems to be the in thing these days every other dog you see is wearing one. It does not stop a dog from pulling infacr it gives the dog more leverage to pull against if it’s a puller..they lean into it and use shoulders to work with the harness. Other than little dogs that don’t pull I would not use one, find the correct collar and lead to use and work on any pulling.
My dog is a little dog and boy can he pull! Plus I like him to be secured by his collar and a harness and I think some harnesses are meant to stop them from pulling it will be a miracle if it's stops Eddi from pulling, but it's worth a try

Last edited:
Not a fan of harnesses, but it seems to be the in thing these days every other dog you see is wearing one.

[A body-harness] does not stop a dog from pulling - in fact, it gives the dog more leverage to pull, if s/he's a puller... they lean into it and use shoulders to work with the harness.
Other than little dogs that don’t pull I would not use one, find the correct collar and lead to use and work on any pulling.

that's only true if U clip the leash to the standard attachment-points: over the shoulders / at the withers, or above the spine, behind the rib cage. :)
We're not including X-backed harnesses at all, as if the dog pulls backward, they can come right off over their heads! - those are for hauling carts, sleds, auto-tires, & other freight. // We're talking about Y-harnesses, which have a girth round the chest behind the elbows, a strap running from the girth forward between the forelegs to the chest, & 2 straps that come from the girth over each shoulder, also to the chest.
The junction of those 3 straps is where the leash-clip is to be attached, to control the dog's direction with minimal force & improve the handler's body-mechanics, while simultaneously reducing the dog's leverage & power. :thumbup:

If U clip the leash TO THE CHEST, which is referred to as a "front-clipped" harness, the dog cannot engage the power of their entire torso & all 4 legs, to haul U along - a front-clipped harness converts the dog's forward momentum very easily into a sideways arc, depending upon to which side of U the dog is walking - walking to yer left, if U pull gently on the leash [or if the dog pulls], s/he will arc to the right, & when walking to yer right, any sustained tension on the leash will cause the dog to arc to yer left.
If the dog is ahead of U & pulling, which side of their body the leash runs will determine the direction of their arc - they move toward the leash, so if it's along their Rt side, they bend right; it's along their L side? - they arc left.

Keep Ur hands __low___ & wrists / elbows straight when using a front-clipped harness, or for that matter, a headcollar - move yer arms from the shoulder, & use yer torso for added strength & to lessen the tiring effect of a pulling dog. The tension used is steady gentle traction, no jerking or brute strength is needed; it's easy on U, & easy on the dog. :)

- terry

Back