The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Growling!

GreyCrazy

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm new here so I hope it's ok to ask for advice straight off... :unsure: About 7 weeks ago I adopted an ex-racer, he's been fantastic, really well-mannered with people and other dogs of all ages, shapes and sizes and affectionate. But this morning when I went to stroke him on his bed which he's been fine with up to yet (he definitely wasn't asleep as he'd only just layed down), he growled. Not a big growl, just a rumble. He's done it a couple of times now. He also seems quite unsettled, he was wide awake and lying on the floor beside his bed when I got up this morning (I usually have to coax him out) and can't seem to get comfortable in any position when usually after his breakfast he goes straight back to sleep. I'm keeping an eye on him in case it's cause he's unwell, but he's eating fine, was full of beans when I let him out for a wee and doesn't have an upset stomach or anything. So did I do something wrong?? If it's a dominance thing I want to make sure it gets stopped before it starts. :( Thanx in advance for any help...

Em

Oops this seems to have posted twice, Sorry! (don't you just love technology...)

Firstly welcome :D

i would stroke him all over and see if its just the head area when he growls, he might possible have ear trouble or it might be his teeth,

does the growl sound aggressive or like a moan, i would have thought if he was being aggressive he would have done it earlier

do you know his history he might also have a old injury that is playing up with this weather

Last edited by a moderator:
It is possible he isn't feeling 100% for some reason, so if you think his behaviour is 'off' in any other way then worth getting him vet-checked.

Ex-racing greyhounds are often a bit defensive of their beds, they are kennelled in pairs so are used to protecting 'their' space. For now I really wouldn't worry too much; avoid any direct confrontation, leave him alone when he's on his bed and if you need to move him do it by chucking a tasty treat on the floor (and start teaching an 'off' command at the same time and lots of praise when he responds).

He's not being 'dominant', it's a very over-used term often used to describe normal canine behaviour; he isn't plotting to take over the world he just wants to be left in peace when he's on his bed.

Hi,

Thanks so much for the speedy replies! And also the welcome. :D The growl was when I was touching his head and he is funny about having his ears touched sometimes - though usually I just get just a yelp and a reproachful look as if to say 'you've greviously injured me mum, I need a biscuit to make me feel better'. :p He had his ears looked at a few weeks ago when he had his boosters though and the vet said they were ok, and they still look clean and aren't hot or anything so I don't think there's a problem there, though will keep checking them. Teeth are also ok. Not sure about his history although he does have a stiff ankle joint which we give him glucosamine for, there's no lameness though. Have just taken him for a walk and he seemed totally back to normal, nosey as ever wanting to go and play with some kids sledging... so who knows! I'm pretty sure it's not a dominance thing either as my parents have a dog who is, who growls when you tell him off or try to take things from him, and my boy doesn't behave like that at-all. In fact he's a total wuss! (unless you happen to be a cuddly toy with a squeaker inside... then you'd better WATCH OUT! :lol: )

Hi,
Thanks so much for the speedy replies! And also the welcome. :D The growl was when I was touching his head and he is funny about having his ears touched sometimes - though usually I just get just a yelp and a reproachful look as if to say 'you've greviously injured me mum, I need a biscuit to make me feel better'. :p He had his ears looked at a few weeks ago when he had his boosters though and the vet said they were ok, and they still look clean and aren't hot or anything so I don't think there's a problem there, though will keep checking them. Teeth are also ok. Not sure about his history although he does have a stiff ankle joint which we give him glucosamine for, there's no lameness though. Have just taken him for a walk and he seemed totally back to normal, nosey as ever wanting to go and play with some kids sledging... so who knows! I'm pretty sure it's not a dominance thing either as my parents have a dog who is, who growls when you tell him off or try to take things from him, and my boy doesn't behave like that at-all. In fact he's a total wuss! (unless you happen to be a cuddly toy with a squeaker inside... then you'd better WATCH OUT! :lol: )
My greyhound yelps if we mess with her ears, she is a real wuss. It is a greyhound thing, they can shreak at the slightest thing. She rumbles if she is in her bed or her sofa, not often. She also spends 90% of her time asleep.

If I accidentally startle her she will shreak too. I shouldn't worry, sounds very normal to me.

hi welcome to k9 ,my ollie is a growler although alarming at first i soon found out this was just his way off saying get lost mum,few yrs down the road he growls at everything especaily if hes touched wen sleeping, i just touch him more even give him kissess at same time hes growling at me ,its quiet funny to watch as hes growling and wagging tail at same time with me kissing him , some people would find this alarming but i know my little man and hed never hurt a hair on me head :D maybe hes just a groaner but in a growly way if that makes sence i usualy just carry on doing hwta im doing so he knows im not frightened of him and nos im boss :D

Hi,

It would seem I have a poorly boy after all... He started acting strangely again this afternoon (though no more growls) and now he's been sick! :x So obviously that was what was wrong - he is terrible for picking up and eating things he shouldn't, he must've eaten or licked something on one of his walks yesterday without me realising. He's now totally calm and sleeping for the first time all day so I'm guessing he feels a lot better, though will be keeping a close eye on him. And no dinner tonight which he probably won't be very chuffed about!! Thank goodness I bought a big bottle of carpet cleaner from PAH! Thanks for all the replies and support, what a great place this is. :)

Em x

awww poor lad, they are dustbins aren't they i hope he starts to feel better soon

:D

How is he now? Has he settled down again?

When greys are at the track, their tattoos are checked inside their ears before they race - sometimes this is not done as gently as we would touch our pets so some dogs are a bit sensitive round the ears. Just give him a bit of time, once they realise you will be gentle they love an ear rub.

Also I would second what Feefee says about beds they are a bit protective at the start, a nice soft duvet is well worth protecting!, but again they get over it.

Have had 'phase 2' of the tummy upset now (if you know what I mean! :( ), but he's such a good lad, always lets you know he needs to go out, even at 4am! Fingers Xd he's got rid of whatever it was now. He's quite accepting of ear rubs now so I reckon the growling must have been because of the tummy ache. He's now snuggled up in bed with his cuddly meerkat toy. :)

When greys are at the track, their tattoos are checked inside their ears before they race - sometimes this is not done as gently as we would touch our pets so some dogs are a bit sensitive round the ears. Just give him a bit of time, once they realise you will be gentle they love an ear rub.
Also I would second what Feefee says about beds they are a bit protective at the start, a nice soft duvet is well worth protecting!, but again they get over it.
Funny, but as my grey is show bred and has no tattoo, she still has very sensitive ears!!!!!!!!! She hates having her ears touched!

My bitch does this when she wants to be left alone! she gets dominant over my bed. I just tell her to get off. sometimes she has snapped so ive held her scruff and pinned her like a mother would to her naughty pup. Or an alpha male to a lower pack member. :D

I would definitely NOT recommend scruffing or pinning a dog under ANY circumstances. It's never necessary, there are much better ways to tackle problems and it can make a dog defensive/aggressive - plus it's a very good way to get bitten!

All this 'Alpha' stuff is pretty much discredited by most modern behaviourists.

Back