The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Greyhound Adopted By Care Home

That is so lovely :huggles: :huggles: - it really made me cry! :b It was so lovely to hear one of the residents saying that Bonnie had made the home a happier place. :thumbsup: Wouldn't it be lovely if more retired greyhounds could find homes like that :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
aww thats brilliant :huggles: ,every retirement home should have one :thumbsup:

(w00t) I agree with Trishg, what a brilliant idea, especially for the older greyhounds. :thumbsup: Diane

I think that is brilliant. There must be so many elderly people who miss having a pet, and the health benefits of having an animal around have been proven. :)

Oh that is lovely,i use to take my lurcher every Tuesday to a care home,the residents love to pat and make a fuss of little Pip,sadly she had cancer and we had to stop.Lady P :huggles: :thumbsup: :wub: :huggles:

I wonder why no one has thought of that before...what an excellent idea. :cheers:

my mum had a care home for elderly mentally infirm residents and we always had a lurcher or whippet there, at first the care inspectors didnt agree til they saw a lady with violent tendencies (she had been removed from several local homes as too violent and then was on high levels of medication til she came to us ) relaxed and calm with our old lurcher at her feet, we found the calming influences of dogs really did assist the latter years of intense care

i think this is a truly excellent idea , greyhounds are such loving placid animals and imo would be the perect care home pet :thumbsup:

What a brilliant idea... :huggles: Bonnie looks so at home with those oldies too....its heartwarming.. :huggles: :huggles:

That has brought tears to my eyes....If you imagine her black patches to be blue, that is my sadly departed greyhound Rosie. What makes me even more sad, is that when I got Rosie, I wanted her to be a PAT dog, to go to residential homes, as I am sure many residents miss having their own dogs. But after approaching the PAt charity time and time again, they never got round to doing the necessary visit to assess Rosie. I still feel really miffed about it 6 years later :angry: , as she would have been exactly as gentle and loving, and was a lovely size to be stroked from a chair, or bed.

Lovely story :)

Pauline

that is a lovely idea, :))

wish it happened more often

How totally lovely...I can`t see what I`m typing for tears. I would love to think if I`m ever in the position of those elderly folk, there will be a Bonnie for me to love too. What a lovely story :wub: :wub:

thats a beautiful story and even though its made me cry theyre tears of happiness not sadness for once about a greyhound :) its an excellent idea as im sure a lot of residents in care homes miss having a pet around so it creates an interest and fulfills a need.good on the people who run that home for having the foresight to take a greyhound on.wish more would do it .thanks for posting this Fee a lovely story :huggles:

Oh, that made me fill up :huggles:

What a lovely story, and what a perfect home for an older greyhound :wub:

Liz and the Monellis

Maybe it's an avenue some rescues could explore. I know with the dreaded 'Health & Safety' and risk assessments there would be a lot of red tape but it is possible as proven by this story. How many times do we hear of dogs in rescue centres because elderly owners have been forced to give them up as they are moving into nursing homes etc? These people could derive a huge amount of comfort from having a dog around and would provide a much needed home for an unwanted animal.

What a most perfect solution and what a darling little girlie!! :wub: :wub: I hope other care homes will take a leaf out of this ones book. Excellent idea. Dogs are so claming and theraputic! i hope Lottie is a nice girl, i might consider her as a PAT dog.... :lol:

She is the spitting image of Lottie who we are adopting as of 26th December (w00t) (w00t) (w00t)

Kerri was always a favourite with the residents at my Grandad's Residential Home (he passed away a few years ago now). She would come in through the front door, greet the residents in the top lounge staying just long enough for any rogue biscuits before she'd make her own way down three corridors to Grandad's room where she'd stand infront of him until he said "lie down boy".

One lady with Altzheimers had been unresponsive for a few days and when Kerri entered the lounge she became animated signalling to kerri to come to her, Kerri jumped on the sofa and curled up next to her. It was lovely to see this lady with animation and a smile on her face.

Sadly however Kerri had to stop going as one staff member opened the door to us and shrieked, turned round and ran then stood making high sqealling noises and flapping her arms around. Kerri of course excited to be going to see Grandad followed quick on her heals wagging her tail and jumping up and down. Which of course was seen as Kerri trying to be agressive for which she recieved a shove and wasn't made welcome again :( .

Back