The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Great British Greyhound Walk

louise061071

Registered
Reaction score
I would very much appreciate if anyone could take the time to sponsor me. I am raising funds for the RGT and have set a target of £500, which i very much hope to reach and possibly exceed.

RIP BELLA FIGLIA (02/05/2002 - 07/03/2011)

One of the last remaining great coursing bitches has sadly died. Bella Figlia, a beaten semi-finalist in the (last) 2005 Waterloo Cup, was bred and owned by Ernest Smith and trained by John and Jackie Teal at Malton, then after the Hunting Ban put a stop to coursing under Rules ’Mitzy’ retired to Tim Pickering and Louise Dale.

By Mounteden Guest out of Bello Regalo (Form Of Tender) who herself won the Waterloo Plate in 2000. Bella Figlia won the Earl of Sefton 32 dog stakes in October 2004, beating Chubbys Bear in the final.

For all my close friends and family, you will all know how much i love greyhounds. As a child, my Dad owned greyhounds and i later went on to work for Jackie Teal at Linton Kennels when i left school in 1988 until i was diagnosed with Hip Dysplasia. I underwent surgery in 1999 in Bristol where they broke and reset my pelvis to prolong my left hips natural life. I returned to work for Jackie in 2001 until my right hip started to give me problems in 2006. I had a total hip replacement in 2007 on my right side, which has not gone very well and may need the replaced socket revising as it is showing signs of loosening. So to be able to complete this walk is a feat for me too.

I rehomed "Grizzly" AKA Crafty Solo in 2006, he will be 9 years old in May, and had the privilege of been asked to rehome "Mitzy" just over 2 years ago. Sadly, her time with us was not as long as we would have liked.

In memory of "Mitzy", i will be joining the "Great British Greyhound Walk" on the 26th June at the York meeting, where i will have my own attempt to walk the distance even with ongoing hip problems alongside "Grizzly" and my partner Tim.

What is the Great British Greyhound Walk all about?

It is an opportunity for owners around Britain to come together at simultaneous walks to celebrate retired racing greyhounds and raise awareness of their suitability as pets.

All proceeds from any kind donations will go the Retired Greyhound Trust (North Yorkshire Branch) who do a fantastic job in rehoming these lovely pets. You could also make a real difference to the long term future of the retired racing greyhound. Any help, no matter how small, is very welcome.

Greyhounds are very lazy, gentle and affectionate dogs. They do NOT need a lot of exercise and in most cases two, twenty minute walks a day is enough. Generally, they settle quickly into a home and soon learn to become pets.

Sponsorship can be made at the following link:

http://www.justgiving.com/Bridget-Dale

Or alternatively, cheques made payable to The Retired Greyhound Trust can be sent to:

Louise Dale

10 Maudon Grove

Norton

Malton

North Yorkshire

YO17 8AH

Many Thanks

GBGW.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Within a week of setting up my fundraising, i have already reached £263. All thanks to friends, family and old "coursing" comrades. Please take the time to donate to such a worthy cause. Thanks again!

As of 30th April, kind donations have reached a massive £793! Thank You to all those who have taken the time to sponsor me!

Come on Folks! Help me reach the £1000 target.....£813 so far! The smallest of donations can help towards looking after a retired greyhound waiting to be rehomed!

Closing in on the £1000 target....£908 to date! :))

Thanks to everyone who has taken the time to donate so far.

Still 7 weeks to the walk, so hopefully set my target higher once the £1000 has been met :))

wow - how fantastic :cheers: thats an amazing amount of money raised so far

good luck with it - and with your walk

do let us know through our forum how you are getting on - you never know you might get some more sponsorship :thumbsup:

http://www.gbgwforum.org.uk/

we now have over 50 walks all over the UK Ireland Scotlamd and Wales

Thank you, i have just added replys to all the walks...hopefully it may attract more money!

Looking forward to the 26th in York :))

Back