The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Got Our Whippet At Last

sitroenn

Registered
Reaction score
Just after Xmas I joined this board to ask about owning a whippet. We lost our last dog, a JRT, two and a half years ago after 16 years together.

I have been wanting a whippet for a very long time but since we have chickens, rabbits and g. pigs I was concerned about how this would be with a whippet.

You were all very kind and generous with your information and support.

This is just to say that after a number of false starts, my whippet and I have finally found each other. I had tried and tried to find a whippet locally but eventually phoned JR Rescue and they had exactly what we were looking for; an older dog with a gentle and peaceful nature.

His owner died 3 weeks ago and we collected him on Saturday and already it's like he was always here. We've changed his name to something we like but whch sounds very sismilar to the orignal and already he responds. Tiffin, as he now is, is 9 years old and seems to have little or no interest in the chickens or rabbits --- whether they are in our garden (behind a fence) or in a field. Yesterday morning on our walk there wer rabbits and hares bounding all over the place and he took no notice whatsoever. is it reasonable to assume that sinec thsi is the case atthe mo. it will remain so. ?

Also he never seems to sit. Sounds a very odd comment I know but he only stands or lies down. Is that usual whippet behaviour ?

Lastly, though it really doesnt matter, is there a way we can fidn out about any pedigree he might have --- just to look into his ancestry. As I say it doesnt matter. Dory, our last dog was cherished and was a real JRT allsorts --recognisbaly JRT but definitely not 'ofthe aristocracy'. ! (Though she was to us )

OK. Any advice would be helpful again. I've attached a photo for your delectation. This dog really is the best we could ever have hoped for: gentle, patient, loving and so intelligent.

Many thanks for past help

Sitroenn

How wonderful that you have been able to fulfil your dreams of owning and whippet, and in the same token have made a little man very happy in what must have been a traumatic few weeks for him (with losing his owner)

I wish you all the cuddles and luck with him that I can give. Having only been a whippet owner since January, I can tell you that you won't look back. They truly are the most amazing dogs.

Not sure about the sitting, but my two are very fussy about where they sit or lay, so it may just be a little personality quirk. I'm sure you'll discover a few more in the weeks to come!

Congratulations on getting your new boy. None of my 3 sit very much, they tend to lie all over the furniture most of the time :lol: . he might be a bit quiet at the moment as he has had a lot of changes in the last few weeks. I'm sure he will perk up when he has been with you for a while. Lovely pic by the way. :wub:

beautiful pic of your little lad. :wub: so kind of you to give him a good loving home,hope you both have many happy years together. :)

Great pics, a happy ending for Tiffin, I'm sure he'll get lots of hugs and cuddles. :wub: :wub:

How wonderful he found a home with you (very cute boy :D )

Ours don't sit much either. Our eldest in particular is a biiiiiig wuss about sitting, will barely touch his butt to the floor to sit for a treat unless it's on the carpet. :wacko:

Just caught up with this - Great news - what a happy ending. :thumbsup: :wub:

Congratulations - I looked at his pic on the other thread and he looks like a darling. I hope you and he give each other many years of pleasure. You are so kind to take in an older dog.

In my experience, generally speaking, whippets don't like to sit. I reckon it's got something to do with the fact that they have a curved spine.

Mine do not sit or lay on anything cold or hard, even doing the Good Citizen I had to ask if I could use a blanket for the stays!!

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

As for the sitting business, I don't think it's the most comfortable position generally for whippets because of their build, mine will only really sit when asked and then it's only briefly to eat the motivation...nothing to worry about :thumbsup:

Have fun with your new boy! :D :wub:

Bless him :wub: :wub: He's lovely!! Hope you have lots of fun with him.

None of mine sit very much. Rupert sits and waits for toast in the morning but he's about the only one (out of 11)!!!

Back