The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Girl in manchester found dead after suspected dog attack

Oreo

Registered
Reaction score
Not something I usually share, however I think this story highlights the need for change.

What that is I don't know but we need to get people talking and trying to make a difference.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-21321953

A 14-year-old girl has been found dead at a house where a number of dogs were "out of control".

Jade Anderson's body was discovered by police at a property in Atherton, near Wigan, at about 14:00 GMT after someone saw the girl unconscious in the house.

Police have not established the cause of death but said her injuries were "consistent with having been attacked by dogs". Four of the dogs were killed.

Jade did not live at the Chaucer Grove home and was thought to be visiting.

Greater Manchester Police said four dogs described as "aggressive and out of control" had since been put down.

Early indications were two of the dogs put down were bull mastiffs and two may be Staffordshire bull terriers, officers said.

Police arrived to find the girl alone in the house and managed to get four of the five dogs contained in the garden.

The force said the animals were then put down "humanely" by armed officers. A fifth dog was securely contained.

The dogs' remains will now be examined as part of the investigation into the incident.

Supt Mark Kenny said: "First and foremost, our thoughts are with the family of the girl who has tragically lost her life.

"I understand this is an extremely distressing incident for all concerned, including the community, and we will work hard to establish the full circumstances that led to this tragedy."

He added there would be a "significant" police presence in the area while police investigated the incident.

Friends have already posted online tributes to Jade on social media websites.

Ellie Morris wrote on Facebook: "Can't believe this has happened. My best friend dead, miss you so much baby girl, my princess. Love you so much, can't believe this has happened.

"You always called me your little sister, told me you will be there for me through thick and thin? Love you baby girl, thinking of you, RIP Jade Anderson, love you."

Another friend, Melissa, who lives across the road, said: "She was amazing, she was actually a really good friend and she was really pretty."

The Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs estimates about 210,000 people are attacked by dogs in England every year.

Five children and one adult have been killed by dogs on private property since 2007.

as this story broke yesterday, and theres lots of facts to come out yet, but a few things that always hits me is how are the dogs housed? how many people own this dog? and how in this case can they afford to keep them? im walking a american bulldog x mastiff at moment and i understand how hard it is, but 5 dogs come on whats happening,, anyway r.i.p. wee girl.. i suppose the bull breeds are going to get hammered again, im not a staffie fan but without the facts and we proberly not know most of them.

I think you're right regarding the facts of this one. It's terrible what's happened.

I think what I was trying to get at was some kind of discussion regarding what can be done to stop it.

It seems that more and more cases are happening in private property rather than outside in public.

Is there an answer to all of this?

Should people be made to take a test before owning a dog?

If so should there be training on specific breeds before you are allowed to own one?

This subject is being discussed on the Jeremy Vine radio show now on BBC Radio 2. Please feel free to email Jeremy you thoughts on this story.

What do you think about what happened to this poor girl?

The friend of a schoolgirl who was savaged to death by four dogs can be seen tenderly cradling one of the killer animals as a young puppy in a picture which has emerged today.

It is thought two Staffordshire bull terriers, a bull mastiff and an American bulldog went berserk when Jade Lomas-Anderson, 14, began eating a meat pie.

As they tried to grab the pie, they bit her throat and Jade, who was alone in the house, was unable to fight them off.

Police using riot shields stormed the house in Atherton, Wigan, before marksmen killed the snarling animals.

The owners of the dogs may not face prosecution because the attack was on private property.

article-2299474-18EF7EBB000005DC-261_306x528.jpg

article-2299474-18F34557000005DC-809_306x528.jpg

Tragic: Jade Lomas-Anderson (left) was mauled by four dogs as she ate lunch at the house of her friend Kimberley Concannon (pictured right with a young 'Buddy', an American bulldog that is said to be one of the dogs to have savaged Jade)

By the time officers reached Jade she was dead on the floor, bleeding from bite marks all over her body.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2299474/Jade-Anderson-death-Atherton-girl-14-eating-MEAT-PIE-4-snarling-dogs-mauled-death.html#ixzz2Ok7QRDru

i wonder if the council knew bout the dogs? you cant hide 5 dogs easy, so many faults ere, owner, numbers, open house maybe, dogs had no life as i can see the lazy bitch walking them, also they aint cheap to feed either,

Looks like feeding them on Wag from one of the photos. Those dogs can't have been exercised enough or properly.

Poor girl what a horrific way for her to die and the dogs.

Wagg is one of the worst foods there is on the market it certainly would not have provided the dogs with the correct nutritien needed.

Most probably not exercised correctly either by the sounds of it from the above post.

Very sad all round,

The dogs was proberly realy stressed because they get very defencive with food if there is more than 1 of them. There is nothing any body can and the government will panic now because have to ban sumert to keep us quiet

Not sure i agree surely its down to the owner to spot a food guarding issue?

If there are issues then the dog needs to be rehomed or trained correctly.

If what you say is true regarding dogs getting defensive about food then that opens an argument to say that you are only allowed one dog per household.

I agree with the last bit though, the government will rush something through to satisfy the public.

i hope they dont rush stupid laws through. .we just need to put dogs in good owners hands instead of the bad. ive seen recently two staffs off lead with owner walking near bye and a walking policeman doing nufink so we can start by clamping down on a few ways before rushing through near jerk laws

Back