The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Freeze Marking -can You Do It On Dogs?

angierooke

Registered
Reaction score
Hi - my dog's brother has been stolen - i've put him on ebay under "stolen lurcher" - what i'm wondering is can you do the same as you can with horses - i.e.- freeze brand them -a permenant marking so that a thief woundn't even bother stealing them! i've been trying to think of a suitable thing to put on the side of my dog.......the fact that i can't find any info makes me think that it isn't done. any other ideas? don't fancy ear tattoo as they might mutilate....i've become so paranoid - life's not the same since i realised this could happen

ive never heard of freeze marking where would you have it done as i think it would look a bit odd on the shoulder like its done on horses :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
Put a picture of the lurcher and a description and where he went missing etc on here some of the K9ers in your area may be able to help.

The Whippet forum has a lot of lurcher lads on that may be able to help

You never know

Havnt heard of freeze branding for dogs,dont know where youd put it.

I don't care at all if it looks silly for a dog to have a number or whatever highly visible on the shoulder or back if it meant a thief wouldn't take her!

Maybe an ear tattoo or microchip would be a good alternative, I haven't heard of the freeze marking for dogs possibly because they isn't as much area on a dog to do it :unsure: I hope your brother's dog returns home soon safe and sound :luck: :luck:

Also you could try doglost if you haven't already http://www.doglost.co.uk/dog-lost.asp :thumbsup: :luck:

I certainly don't know for certain, but would imagine the thickness of skin would make it impossible to freeze brand dogs. Horse hide - even thin skinned TB's and Arabs - is presumably much hardier than dog skin, especially sight hounds.

I too wouldn't care about how it looked, if it prevented my dog being stolen, so can see where you're coming from, but I doubt it would be possible.

Back