The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

First Chicken Wing

em21

Registered
Reaction score
Well Dudley is having his first chicken wing this morning and he appears to be enjoying it :thumbsup: Have to admit though, giving him meat with bones made me cringe abit at first ;) Scared he might choke etc. He didny know what to do with it at first... sniffed it, barked at it, pushed it round the room, he even put in OHs shoe :oops: :lol: He has been on the sofa with it, outside with it and now he has settled with it on his big bed and seems to be really loving it and has only this minute finished it!! It has taken him about 30mins to eat it but he was totally focused on it, I even managed to put the bin out and go to the loo without him following me or whining (w00t) I was really amazed to see him crunching his way through those bones (I know they are only tiny compared to others mind) I think I will be giving him chicken wings again :cheers: Although think im going to have to virkon the floors as he dragged it everywhere!!

Emma xxx

How old is Dudley?Lofty is 16 weeks old would he be fine to have a chiken wing?Not so confident myself about giving him food with bones in,scares the life out of me,but your Dudley seems to have coped fine so thats good :)

jkbjackson said:
How old is Dudley?Lofty is 16 weeks old would he be fine to have a chiken wing?Not so confident myself about giving him food with bones in,scares the life out of me,but your Dudley seems to have coped fine so thats good :)

Hes 17 weeks on Sunday, i was honestly so surprised at how he managed it... i suppose its instinctive behaviour at the end of the day. Ive been thinking about changing him to a BARF diet for a while and have been assured that he would be fine but i was still terrified :eek: So today I took the plunge and let him try a chicken wing, just going to gradually introduce this new diet, see how it goes. id say go for it :thumbsup: they seem to love it... just supervise Lofty, I did Dudley... just incase :thumbsup:

:luck: with it :thumbsup:

emma xxx

(w00t) Who said chicken wings... (w00t)

Hens015.jpg

:lol: sorry couldnt resist....

aww bless him :huggles: before you know it hel be chomping his way throu bones like this (w00t)

P1010004-3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
When they are young, I break the joint below the wing tip and cut round it (so there are no sharp bone edges) and just feed the tip, then when they are older they get 2 joints then the full 3 when they are older and bigger.

I feed Ruby lamb rib bones, Emma. She had chicken wings a few times but, maybe its me being a coward, but I found the shards of the wing bones were very sharp as she was eating them. She managed them okay but it worried me. I find the lamb ribs are not so sharp. Ruby has 2 or 3 lamb ribs every morning and then has raw mince of various sorts for her other meal. I use Prize Choice for convenience but would also give meaty bones if I could get them easily.

:huggles: for Dudley

Pauline

Janimal said:
(w00t) Who said chicken wings... (w00t)
Hens015.jpg

:lol:   sorry couldnt resist....

Oh Janis!! Now I feel all guilty :b Im not vegetarian but I do sometimes feel awful eating meat when you see the lovely animals (in animal form :b )

Emma xxx

Oh sorry, please dont feel guilty. I feed chicken wings too... :lol: :thumbsup:

Your little lad will benefit from having them honestly...and have great teeth.

I just couldnt resist,.....this is one of my HENS (for Hely :lol: ) kept at my dads garden...they are all Egg layers so dont worry...

Last edited by a moderator:
I would love to feed my dogs on a BARF diet (although I'm a veggie myself :- " ). However, a few years ago my sister-in-law's gorgeous little Westie died after eating a bone that got lodged and did so much damage she had to be PTS.

I was recently discussing BARF feeding with her, and she was adamant she would never feed bones, and her vet also advises clients not to feed bones.

Therefore it makes me very reluctant to feed BARF, although I know how many K9 people feed it. How could I convince myself it would be OK? :- "

~Sarah~ said:
I would love to feed my dogs on a BARF diet (although I'm a veggie myself  :- " ). However, a few years ago my sister-in-law's gorgeous little Westie died after eating a bone that got lodged and did so much damage she had to be PTS.
I was recently discussing BARF feeding with her, and she was adamant she would never feed bones, and her vet also advises clients not to feed bones.

Therefore it makes me very reluctant to feed BARF, although I know how many K9 people feed it. How could I convince myself it would be OK?  :- "

:eek: Thats a awful Sarah!

I have read horror stories too but the way I see it is anything could happen anyway, everytime I let Dudley off the lead I worry that he will jump a fence and injure himself or worse :eek: But I will never keep him on the lead all his life either. When I first got him, I spent most of the time worrying about him, I lost over a stone in weight (although thats probably not a bad thing :lol: ) Its just another option for him, his bowels have never been that good since we got him so I thought BARF mite be better? I dont know if we will feed it yet of whether he will just get the odd chicken wing or meaty bone? We shall see how it goes :thumbsup:

Emma xxx

That is terrible Sarah... :(

In my opinion though the benefits feeding BARF will far outweigh the risks Im sure....I was always told it was cooked bones to be wary of because they become brittle and splinter easily...

Id never fed chicken wings till I got Oscar and have never had a problem with them...I always supervise my dogs eating them and never ever leave them alone with one...

If I cant cut through the bone with kitchen scissors I would never feed them...and the bones always cut through very easily and are never brittle but white and grizzly if anything...

All of my lot have wings from 8 weeks old but like Janice, if the wing bones tough then they are older and will be the ones to occasionally give you problems :blink: .....I buy tescos wings for mine and always chose the small ones as these bones will be younger and softer ... :thumbsup:

~Sarah~ said:
I would love to feed my dogs on a BARF diet (although I'm a veggie myself  :- " ). However, a few years ago my sister-in-law's gorgeous little Westie died after eating a bone that got lodged and did so much damage she had to be PTS.

Therefore it makes me very reluctant to feed BARF, although I know how many K9 people feed it. How could I convince myself it would be OK?  :- "

Heres a link to BARF feeding for you

http://www.ukbarfclub.co.uk/

and Dorwest Herbs also have a good section on natural feeding on there too.

Ozzy had really bad problems when he was little - I fed dry complete as I had done with all my other dogs, but Ozzy kept getting the runs really bad till eventually the vet advised to just give him chappie and he would worry about his teeth later!!! :angry: After advise from his breeder (thanks Janet :thumbsup: ) and folk on here, and after Id had to starve him again for 24 hours I changed over to barf.

The next time I took him to the vet they were stunned - his coat was like glass, his teeth spotless :D and he had put on weight :thumbsup: I give him raw veg every day (pulsed) and he also has the frozen packs of mince.

Each to his own, but it works for Ozzy :thumbsup: :luck:

littlenell said:
Ozzy had really bad problems when he was little - I fed dry complete as I had done with all my other dogs, but Ozzy kept getting the runs really bad till eventually the vet advised to just give him chappie and he would worry about his teeth later!!!  :angry: After advise from his breeder (thanks Janet :thumbsup: ) and folk on here, and after Id had to starve him again for 24 hours I changed over to barf.The next time I took him to the vet they were stunned - his coat was like glass, his teeth spotless :D   and he had put on weight :thumbsup: I give him raw veg every day (pulsed) and he also has the frozen packs of mince.

Each to his own, but it works for Ozzy :thumbsup:   :luck:

Sounds good to me :thumbsup: Duds stools have never been great like I said so hopefully BARF will be better. He doesnt really like the dry food either, I have been mixing chappie through it and he eats that but leaves any dry food that is not stuck to the chappie :lol: He loved the chicken wing and loves fish and veggies so i think we will be going down the BARF route :cheers: Glad Ozzy has found something that agrees with him :thumbsup:

Emma xxx

Janimal said:
~Sarah~ said:

Heres a link to BARF feeding for you

http://www.ukbarfclub.co.uk/

and Dorwest Herbs also have a good section on natural feeding on there too.

I have been looking here, very good :thumbsup:

Emma xxx

Back