The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Fireworks

chippy

Registered
Reaction score
just a question on nervousness in your dogs. how do you overcome it.

would you go to the vets for tablets, or try a herbal remody.

ive tried a herbal one this time as for the past couple of years ive tried the tablets from the vets, they dont take away the shakes and her hearing but just seem to put her in a heavy dazed state.

the herbal seems to be sort of the same.

is it me or would ear plugs do the trick if i could get her to wear them, or does this seem silly. but she wouldnt be able to hear the fireworks would she.

:cheers:

chippy

chippy said:
just a question on nervousness in your dogs. how do you overcome it.would you go to the vets for tablets, or try a herbal remody.

ive tried a herbal one this time as for the past couple of years ive tried the tablets from the vets, they dont take away the shakes and her hearing but just seem to put her in a heavy dazed state.

the herbal seems to be sort of the same.

is it me or would ear plugs do the trick if i could get her to wear them, or does this seem silly. but she wouldnt be able to hear the fireworks would she.

chippy

I think "earplugs" seems a sensible option, there have been a few racing whippets in the past that have run with balls of cotton wool in their ears to stop them panicking/turning when another dog comes up from behind them.

chippy said:

chippy

They would do little good - it is the percussive effect of the fireworks which terrify dogs. Try DAP diffuser (too late for this year) skullcap and valarian tablets, Bach rescue remedy. Perhaps one of these might help.

I should add that they have never helped my girl, but this year we have upped the Skullcap dosage considerably on good advice and are hopeful of an improvement.

Enid said:
They would do little good - it is the percussive effect of the fireworks which terrify dogs. Try DAP diffuser (too late for this year) skullcap and valarian tablets, Bach rescue remedy. Perhaps one of these might help.
I use all the above for Asha but was recommended to start the DAP diffuser a month before the beginning of firework season and the skillcap and valarian a couple of weeks before.

I also plug her ears with cotton wool and my mum knitted a doggy balaclavor (although an old fisherman type sock with the toe cut out will do) which stops her from shaking the cotton wool out and adds extra muffling for the sound.

Building a den in a small space with duvets away from windows can provide dogs with a safe space and the duvets help to minimise the sound. Playing music or keeping the telly on will help too.

Asha sleeping through Saturdays fireworks

Asha posing in her headwear :wub:

I love Ashas balaclava :D

Molly is getting increasingly worried by fireworks which I am suprised about as they never used to bother her. I haven't been giving her anything as she isn't normally bothered but I think I may next year. I might try the ear plugs tomorrow though - if I can get them in that is :lol: I'd never thought of that before.

I took her out for a walk last night and someone was letting them off in their garden but I didn't realise in time. She wasn't too bad, just looked a bit worried but then she refused to go back out in the garden later on for a wee, I had to carry her!

We are lucky with Lenny, he seems to like them - runs out into the garden when they are going off and barks at them :lol: he refuses to come in - this coming from the dog who is scared of his own shadow usually!

my old guy used to be realy bad with fireworks so i did him a balqaclaver with knitted in ear muffs and I dogs now that are a little iffy with them. so we put there cages up in the houes covers over to make safe dens for them we have all the curtins cloes tvs and radois on differnt channles in differnt rooms and they all have rescue remady that seams to help them out.

Back