The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Feeding issues

Nicola Reilly

Registered
Reaction score
Anyone else have issues with their dog eating from a bowl my two year old shih tzu won’t eat out a bowl I’ve got to throw his food all over the floor to get him to eat it also he doesn’t eat until about 8pm anyone else have this issue

Lots of dogs have issues with bowls. Sometimes it's what the bowl is made of, especially when their collar buckle or name tag makes a noise if it touches; sometimes being in a corner it restricts their vision. My own dog works for a lot of his food so seldom gets fed from a bowl. Do what works - a plate, tray, interactive toy, scatter feeding. Or try different types of bowl - ceramic, stainless steel, plastic, shallow or deep. But don't fret, it's really common

Lots of dogs have issues with bowls. Sometimes it's what the bowl is made of, especially when their collar buckle or name tag makes a noise if it touches; sometimes being in a corner it restricts their vision. My own dog works for a lot of his food so seldom gets fed from a bowl. Do what works - a plate, tray, interactive toy, scatter feeding. Or try different types of bowl - ceramic, stainless steel, plastic, shallow or deep. But don't fret, it's really common
Thank you he used to be fine it’s the same bowl he has had since we got him it’s ceramic and no collar on so no noise but just in the last few weeks he’s decided he’s not eating from it

Have food issues with my terrier .....won’t eat dog food out of a bowl or off the floor :D
What does he have for his dinner ? Do you feed him at 8pm because he won’t eat earlier or because it fits in with your lifestyle?

Have food issues with my terrier .....won’t eat dog food out of a bowl or off the floor :D
What does he have for his dinner ? Do you feed him at 8pm because he won’t eat earlier or because it fits in with your lifestyle?
That seems to be the only time he will go near any food I’m going to try just putting it on the floor earlier as we put his food out about 9am but he doesn’t go near it in the bowl so just starting to wonder if he will eat any earlier if I put it on the floor rather than leave in the bowl the vet said scatter feeding is fine

Have you tried different foods? Maybe he'd prefer wet to dry? Though wet is messier if you have to spread it on the floor...!

Have you tried different foods? Maybe he'd prefer wet to dry? Though wet is messier if you have to spread it on the floor...!
We changed food a few times he eats it for a bit and then he stops eating but this throwing it on the floor seems to be working so don’t really want to change his food again and definitely don’t want wet food on my floor

Back