The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Feeding Evie

HopeRosie

Registered
Reaction score
Evie's come home today WOOHOOO :D and Ive got a question. Ive bought the same complete dry puppy food that she was on at her breeders, and the feeding directions on the back of the packet go on what her adult weight in KG will be??! How big will an adult girl whippy be? Evie at 7 weeks is about 5 1/2lbs and was not the biggest in her litter by a long way.

I dont want to feed her too much so she is sick, or not enough. Shes got to eat her meals in her crate as Rosie will scoff it all, so I cant leave a bowl down all day for her to pick at. At the breeders all the pups shared the same bowl and it was down all day.

Are whippets the sorts of dogs that will clear a bowl no matter how much is in it, and then throw up because they have stuffed themselves? (like cavaliers) or do they only eat what they want?

I was worried bout feeding Murphy when first got him. The breeder said to feed him 4 times a day and the vet said that on that number of meals they should eat whats in their bowls and still be slightly hungry. Doesn't help on guideline tho.

I think Murphy used to eat about 1/4 of a cup of food at each meal and now 6 weeks on he only eats bout 1/3 cup but is still on 4 meals cos he gets hungry when he's only on 3 meals a day.

I guess its a case of trial and error as each dog is different.

Jess

I wouldn't want a young pup to still be hungry after eating :(

Maybe you could just let her eat as much as she wants in one go then take the bowl away? That way you know she's full up :) And if you measure the food out first you'll know how much she eats so you won't have to worry ;)

You are right, they do vary in size but normally fall in the 10-15kg range on the food packets :thumbsup: :luck:

congratulations on your new addition :cheers:

She will be around the 26lb mark depending on her adult build and size.

Food should never be left down all day, it encourages picky eating and you cannot control how much they are eating. The vet is right only give as much as she will clean the bowl, little and often for pups as soon as she leaves any reduce the amount until she cleans up again. luv Jan

There is some good info in FAQ on feeding pups. :thumbsup:

We were given a food sheet of what, how much and when (every 4 hours from 8 weeks) and I also got a sample of the food he had whilst with his Mummy and siblings to put him on until we went shopping for some ourselves.

Oh they were the days.... now he eats whatever he wants whenever he fancies it and he doesn't get FAT :blink:

Oh I can only wish :lol:

Well it serves me right for worrying. I put some in a bowl and she just wandered off when she had had enough - what a worrywart I am :b

So Ive measured out the 'recommended' daily amount for the 10-15kg adult weight and will divide it roughly into four tomorrow and see how much of it she eats at each meal, then I can add more or less going on that. I cant keep a bowl down all day anyway - Rosie would just scoff her own and Evies.

thanks for all your advice.

Back