The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Feeding advice

Kerry Veitch

Registered
Reaction score
Hi do you think summer my cavalier is under weight she a year old she does eat mum I was thinking about moving her from dry food to tin food to see if that help what' people advice on that please i added 2 picture of her thanks kerry
20180426_124904.jpg
20180324_193745.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
It's hard to tell from the pictures but the chart in this link should help.

Google Image Result for https://i.imgur.com/S7US4fk.png

You should be able to feel her ribs but mot see them clearly, looking down from above you should see a narrowing of her waist, and looking from sideways her tummy should tuck in.

Most dog food guides are, in my experience, generous and health wise a lean dog is better than an overweight one. But if you do think she is underweight, why not feed her a little more of her current food? Or add a supplementary snack like tinned fish or eggs? With both wet and dry there are big variations in quality, what is she eating at the moment?

Well, it's not a bad food although there are better quality ones out there. If you are interested in changing, have a look at www.allaboutdogfood.co.uk

It is an independent dog food comparison website which scores all types of foods (dry, raw, wet) on a scale of 0 to 5. You can set filters for your dog's weight, age etc and choose to view only the foods scoring, say, 4 and above. Then you can show them listed according to daily feeding cost so you can see what gives you best value for money.

Is her worming up to date?

It's hard to see her body-condition from the photos provided - can U take 2 more?

One from ABOVE looking directly down at her, with her head away from U, tail nearest,
& the 2nd from the side, with the camera held level with the middle of her chest, & her entire body, nose to tail, in the photo.

She's definitely not emaciated, & as Joanne said, lean is much-better than fat in terms of health.
- terry

As long as you are feeding her to the guidelines recommended, you seem to be doing everything from your end. Do you give her treats as well during the day?
I'm a dog sitter and have looked after a cavalier spaniel for a year now (several days a week while owners in work, plus when she goes away). He gets a scoop of dried food and 37g of wet food, twice a day, plus 2 treats (chicken strips). I think the dried food tends to come with a scoop, either that or she bought one. But it definitely has the guideline amounts on packet.
Another point to make, if your cavalier is anything like mine she runs a lot. He can run for miles chasing birds and dogs down the beach, so they burn off their calories quickly, like a young child would when they pass the baby phase and start running around.

BTW, is the puppy hers?
If she had a litter some months back, she can be drawn-down by 1st carrying the pups & literally building them in utero, then whelping & breastfeeding for a couple of months. // Most dams are back to their former condition by 3-mos post-whelp, when the pups are no longer nursing & they've been using all the calories they eat for themselves for a few weeks.

the trick is that if the dam was only 6-MO when she was in heat & bred, she's a pup having pups - her own body takes 2nd-priority, & all the energy that might be given to finishing her own growth, instead goes to the developing litter & the "costs" of pregnancy - making an amniotic sac for each fetus, producing more blood to circulate, making placentae to exchange nutrients & remove waste, yadda-yadda.
It puts an underage bitch way-behind the developmental curve. // She'll be playing catch-up, for a while.

- terry

Just to say, I started to think Murphy was a bit of a skinny wretch when some people mentioned how thin he was. But when I asked my vet he said the real problem was that 99% of other dogs of his breed are overweight..

If you are used to seeing chubby dogs a healthy dog will look thin by comparison.

Back