The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Eosinophilic Bronchopneumopathy

chilipi

Registered
Reaction score
My whippet was diagnosed with eosinophilic bronchopneumopathy.

A good description of the condition: http://www.nic.fi/~hra/Translations/Eosinophilic.htm

I had never heard of it. My vet had never heard of sighthounds having it. I guess I'm overall lucky we finally pinned it down and he's much better on prednisolone. As far as I know, none of his relatives have any immune system issues, no allergies or anything.

So I'm wondering, is it just bad luck, a one-in-a-million idiopathic thing or is it just chance I've never heard of this condition in whippets? I'm very much interesed in hearing more about this. Among other things because I have a lifetime ahead with him and I'm interested in what to expect long-term.

If you have anything to share, I'd really appreciate it. :)

chilipi said:
My whippet was diagnosed with eosinophilic bronchopneumopathy.
A good description of the condition: http://www.nic.fi/~hra/Translations/Eosinophilic.htm

I had never heard of it. My vet had never heard of sighthounds having it. I guess I'm overall lucky we finally pinned it down and he's much better on prednisolone. As far as I know, none of his relatives have any immune system issues, no allergies or anything.

So I'm wondering, is it just bad luck, a one-in-a-million idiopathic thing or is it just chance I've never heard of this condition in whippets? I'm very much interesed in hearing more about this. Among other things because I have a lifetime ahead with him and I'm interested in what to expect long-term.

If you have anything to share, I'd really appreciate it. :)

I do know someone with a whippet who has symptoms that sound exactly as described on the website. From what that owner has experienced, I would say that the last paragraphs give an accurate picture of what she does, keeps it under control and gives pred and an antibiotic when necessary. Perhaps she will contact you in person to discuss her experiences.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, that would be very nice! I know he'll have to be on maintenance dosage for the rest of his life - he relapses, we tried that - and my vet thinks it's probable the condition will get more severe over time, needing upgrade of dosage. I mean, we're talking about years and years here. Hopefully. He's my boy!

It may be that this often goes undiagnosed or misdiagnosed - took us quite a while to pin it to what it is, ruling out all kinds of other things. I think going to some seminars helped her, as well, since she commented my dog has it quite easy compared to some case studies she knows. If untreated or mistreated, this probably looks like pneumonia that just won't go away and kills the dog. With all the kennel cough you can catch at shows, you may not even consider it might be something different, something so rare.

I'd rather my whippet is the unfortunate exception that just happened to get this condition out of the blue (as compared to something that's common in the breed), but I'm feeling a bit at a loss here and anybody's experience would help. :thumbsup:

Back