The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

English Derby

I agree whilst I love it at Fordingbridge it is a great place and a great club I don't believe it is the right place for the DERBY for one there is limited caravan space available having said that I never thought Devon was either reasons being a lot have to miss out due to kids at school it really needs to be on the bank holiday weekend, I can think of 2 good venues in the middle of country that can host a big event OLD HALL and SHIREBROOK both these venues can also accommodate any amount of caravans so some racers don't have to try booking on caravan parks which again are an added expence

As Ive said love FORDY great venue. great track will allways go down for their events be it weekend or 10 days IMO just don't think its the place for the Derby

the thing i dont understand is if it was a choice between devon and fordy for the darby

why choose devon facilities at devon not as good as fordy just as much track side

camping at fordy tavel distance the same track better

i would rather travel 2 to 3 hours to see a good turn out than travel 15 minutes for a poor turn out.

and for anyone that dont know i live 15 mins from fordingbridge

at the end of the day its up to chris and paul where they have the derby after all its there event.

(w00t)

i have nothing against fordingbridge, been there it is a lovely place, just not really the fairest place to hold one of the best events of the year imo, we have good venues already that are capable of holding the event if it was next month never mind next year. newton aycliffe were some of the best years in racing,great attendances, great prizemoney,great track,great time. not complaining, just think that the derby can still be like it was at aycliffe but not if it was at fordingbridge as in the current climate it just wouldnt be possible.
Totally agree, another year of poor attendances surely shows you that the Derby which was one of the most prestigious events in the calendar needs a bloody good shake up.

The fact this years venue was in an idylic location was obviously not enough of an attraction for a lot of people, not only were numbers down but there were a lot of very good dogs missing from the race card too.

Please please lets get the ENGLISH DERBY that we all remember so fondly back to its former glory ASAP.
IS THAT AN OFFER VICKY A&T (w00t) :- :luck: :thumbsup: CANT GET MORE MIDDLE.

at the end of the day its up to chris and paul where they have the derby after all its there event.
That's right, it is up to Chris & Paul where and when they hold the Derby. However if an organiser values the support of whippet racers then they need to make it desirable to everybody. There were just short of 200 dogs at the NNWRF Straight Champs and 1 week later the MAJORITY of those dogs didn't run and entry was down to just 89 for this years Derby, the lowest entry there has ever been for this classic that was once held in high esteem. That must tell you you need to change something.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's right, it is up to Chris & Paul where and when they hold the Derby. However if an organiser values the support of whippet racers then they need to make it desirable to everybody. There were just short of 200 dogs at the NNWRF Straight Champs and 1 week later the MAJORITY of those dogs didn't run and entry was down to just 89 for this years Derby, the lowest entry there has ever been for this classic that was once held in high esteem. That must tell you you need to change something.
:unsure: Sadly, I think you're right, Vicky! I think the timing of the change of venue had a lot to do with some people choosing not to attend and, unfortunately, since it was announced that it was to be held at the same venue for 2013, quite a few folk have said that they won,t be going next year also! This is sad and I hope it,s not too late for a re-think as it would be a shame if this previously prestigous event were to be reduced any further! IMO :wub:

Back