The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Elderly Lurcher Desperatley Needs New Home

rach125

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, i know u guys often just want a pup but i thought this could be worth a try. We currently have a new lurcher in called Doz she is 10 years old but unfortunatley is extremley thin with very little muscle on her. She also does not know where her back legs are and has fallen over a few times. I have begged my mam and dad for this dog but as we already have an 17 year old dog who has always lived on his own they think it will be unfair on him. I fear the worst for this poor lass as she seems to be giving up. she has a lovely temperment and gets on well with other dogs.

Have you thought of putting her on the oldies site, it's dedicated to them and is really helpful in finding homes.

www.oldies.org.uk

feefee should also be able to offer some more suggestions, try pming her.

Good luck :luck: :luck: , they have so much to give and your girl sounds a real sweetie :huggles:

i dont mean to upset you by this but are you sure the dog will be ok to re home ?

we had a lurcher of around the same age and the same thing happend to him.

even tho he never seemed in pain of anything we could tell the dog was in distress so we took him to the vets..

sadly the vet told us he needs putting to sleep :(

i dont really know how bad your dog is but it would be advised to take him to the vets..

well thats what i would do anyways cos one of the most painfull hurts in life is to watch a dog that means the world to you suffer :(

good luck

Annie and Whiz were quite confused when they came to me, but now they have settled in they are several years younger than their 13 and 14 years of age. Would it be possible for her to be seen by a vet over the next few days? She could blossom if she finds a nice quiet home.

she had been to the vets and put on meticam spelling? i have been to see her today and she is coming on well i have got a couple of fotos of her on my cam ill post them as soon as i work out how to! :blink: :- " . I took her home today for an hour to see how she is with our other dog, they ignored eachother til she laid in front of the fire and benji went near then she snapped. We r gonna try em gradually and see what happens.

I think there must often be problems introducing new dogs to a home. I know my two are going to be difficult if/when I bring in a third companion. I will start a discussion on the topic in the general dogs forum (though probably it has been discussed before). Maybe you and I will both get useful advice.

Poor Doz I hope the oldies can help or you could try putting her on www.lurcher.org in Other Homeless Hounds as several peeps on there have said they would like to adopt older hounds.

I think my 2 loonies might be a bit much for her as only 18 months & 2 yrs old and rather bouncy!

I gather when introducing new dog high value treats should be removed to avoid friction and new dog not given too much attention til place in pack settled.

I expect the fire would be regarded as a high value treat in this weather, especially by older dogs & humans! Praps you could try putting a warm bed next to a radiator for her and hope she'd be happy with that and not snap at Benji. If she's a bit creaky like me she'll appreciate the warmth poor little mite.

You could try her with Cod liver oil, Glucosamin & Chondroitin capsules which should help altho take a while to have best effect. A tin of sardines every now & then should be good with the creaks & help build her up.

Well done taking her under your wing and hope she responds to the tlc & metacam.

She looks lovely, I hope you can get over any teething problems with the introduction to your other dog and keep her.

If it doesn't work out please let me know and I'll do all I can to help via The Oldies Club. As always we have a waiting list of dogs to come into our foster homes, but we do always try to prioritise urgent cases.

Good luck :luck: :luck:

Just wondering how Doz is getting on and if you've had any serious interest in her?

Hope 2007 finds her a Happy New Home (unless you are keeping her in which case she's got one!

fingers crossed for this old gal :wub: :luck: :luck: :luck: :thumbsup:

Im going to go up and see her in abit. bin ill so i dont know wat the crack is with her. However a girl from the home says that we have had a load of lurchers come in with very bad mange which is sad. All our kennels are full, the kitchen has two dogs in and there are a couple which are kept in kennels in the barn, so we seem to have an epidemic! very worrying

:( :(

Back