The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Eddie's Been Poorly Twice Again

colliecrew

Registered
Reaction score
My poor old boy, since the last time I wrote he's been poorly again, and this time he's been diagnosed with pancreatitis. It seems it's probably going to be chronic - and I never realised what a dangerous condition it can be! :(

Anyway, I've got him on the mend now, but I'm obviously going to have to monitor his diet closely, and will probably switch exclusively to home prepared food, as (A) I don't like the prescription diets because of the animal testing that's been involved, and (B) I like to know what he's getting.

However I need help, as he's going to need supplementing in some areas. I know fat free as far as possible is the way to go, so I'm thinking poultry, white fish, low fat cottage cheese, egg whites etc, but what about fibre, is there any evidence that fibre will help or inflame the pancreas? Is high fibre or low fibre particularly important?

Has anyone any experience of feeding a dog with pancreatitis? I'm wondering about his Cortaflex supplement too. Can anyone point me in the direction of any nutritional experts or publications, or groups?

I've got Eds on turkey baby food at the moment, as yesterday he stopped throwing up, bless him, and now today he's perked up and wants to eat. So it's a teaspoonful every couple of hours, and so far, so good! My poor old boy, it's really not fair for him to have this after what he's been through!

Poor Eddie :wub: Pancreatitis is very serious and a potential killer in people and dogs. My Coco had an acute bout of it not so long ago, I have never seen a dog go from normal to almost dying so quickly. Luckily my Vets diagnosed it promptly and she was hospitalised immediately but then she recovered almost as quickly as she went down. My Vet did not mess around with prescription diets but told me to feed her Chappie for about a week and then gradually introduce her normal food back again. As Chappie is mainly fish or chicken and rice I don't think you could go far wrong in feeding Eddie that sort of a diet.

colliecrew said:
My poor old boy, since the last time I wrote he's been poorly again, and this time he's been diagnosed with pancreatitis. It seems it's probably going to be chronic - and I never realised what a dangerous condition it can be!  :(

Anyway, I've got him on the mend now, but I'm obviously going to have to monitor his diet closely, and will probably switch exclusively to home prepared food, as (A) I don't like the prescription diets because of the animal testing that's been involved, and (B) I like to know what he's getting.

However I need help, as he's going to need supplementing in some areas. I know fat free as far as possible is the way to go, so I'm thinking poultry, white fish, low fat cottage cheese, egg whites etc, but what about fibre, is there any evidence that fibre will help or inflame the pancreas? Is high fibre or low fibre particularly important?

Has anyone any experience of feeding a dog with pancreatitis? I'm wondering about his Cortaflex supplement too. Can anyone point me in the direction of any nutritional experts or publications, or groups?

I've got Eds on turkey baby food at the moment, as yesterday he stopped throwing up, bless him, and now today he's perked up and wants to eat. So it's a teaspoonful every couple of hours, and so far, so good!  My poor old boy, it's really not fair for him to have this after what he's been through!

my dog "casper" has chronic pancreatitis :( ive only had him a few months so he wasnt diagnosed that long ago

i noticed he had really greasy/yellow/stinky :x stools and he had been sick a few times...and mentioned it to the vet when he was castrated and he said it might be the stress of changing homes but he would do some blood tests etc...anyway he was then diagnosed and put onto hills i/d

he didnt improve and after thinking it was also a rice allergy went onto wafcol salmon and potato...again it didnt help....he was still bringing up bile and was very quiet

i decided against my vets support really to put him on barf(although i dont feed bones due to the high fat content)..he is now on nature diet raw frozen which is various meats and offal with added bran and vegetables...he has nothing else except low fat biscuits on occasion

he is now full of life ...put on 2kgs....and with normal stools and no sickness

a different dog :wub: :thumbsup:

good luck :luck:

Last edited by a moderator:
Poor Eddy! My 84 yr old uncle has just developed pancreatitis too and I know he's been very ill with it. He's having to be very careful with his diet. I don't know any more, but I'm sure you'll give Eddy the very best attention possible. :luck: :luck:

dessie said:
Poor Eddie  :wub:   Pancreatitis is very serious and a potential killer in people and dogs.  My Coco had an acute bout of it not so long ago, I have never seen a dog go from normal to almost dying so quickly.  Luckily my Vets diagnosed it promptly and she was hospitalised immediately but then she recovered almost as quickly as she went down.  My Vet did not mess around with prescription diets but told me to feed her Chappie for about a week and then gradually introduce her normal food back again.  As Chappie is mainly fish or chicken and rice I don't think you could go far wrong in feeding Eddie that sort of a diet.
actually my vet suggested chappie too and i did try it and casper was fine on it...he just didnt like it much :lol:

Many a year ago when i worked in at a boarding kennels,we had a dog in who had severe pancreatitis.He was on lots of medication & some sort of special diet.

Anyway,this dog was with us for a month,& we changed his diet over to tripe & beef pancreas with a few veggies added.

By the time his owners came back,he was completely cured & was a picture of health.

Please give Edster lots of :huggles: :huggles: :huggles: from his number 1 fan :thumbsup:

colliecrew said:
My poor old boy, since the last time I wrote he's been poorly again, and this time he's been diagnosed with pancreatitis. It seems it's probably going to be chronic - and I never realised what a dangerous condition it can be!  :(

I've got Eds on turkey baby food at the moment, as yesterday he stopped throwing up, bless him, and now today he's perked up and wants to eat. So it's a teaspoonful every couple of hours, and so far, so good!  My poor old boy, it's really not fair for him to have this after what he's been through!

why not give ainsworth homeopathy a ring in london, they are first class ive used them lots of times with problems with my horses and dogs ,tell them the problem and im sure they will be able to help you its better than ramming him full of drugs from you vets which cost a fortune and will make him feel unwell these have no side effects as they are natural good luck hope tjis helps ,their number is 02079355330 ,you can pay over the phone and they come the next day

ja jumper said:
colliecrew said:

why not give ainsworth homeopathy a ring in london, they are first class ive used them lots of times with problems with my horses and dogs ,tell them the problem and im sure they will be able to help you its better than ramming him full of drugs from you vets which cost a fortune and will make him feel unwell these have no side effects as they are natural good luck hope tjis helps ,their number is 02079355330 ,you can pay over the phone and they come the next day

just to be cautious...some homeopathic treatments can have side effects with certain conditions :thumbsup:

one of my old dobie girls had this years ago,i think its far more dangerous in people than dogs though.hope eddie is well soon poor old lads been through it lately :( :luck: :luck: :luck:

Oh poor Eddie. :huggles: And poor you Anne! :huggles: :huggles: Hope the handsome chap gets better soon. :wub: :wub:

No advice, but :huggles: to you both. Eddie is so lucky to have you Anne :thumbsup: I suppose it will be trial and error for a bit with his diet.

Wishing Eddie good luck. :luck: :luck: :luck: Hope you find the right diet for him. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: I am sure he is in the best hands. :huggles: :huggles:

poor Eddie,get better soon :huggles: :huggles: :huggles: :huggles:

Poor Eddie :( what can I add But just [SIZE=14pt]Get Well soon Boy[/SIZE] :huggles: :luck: :luck: :luck:

Poor Eddie :( :( - love and kisses from everyone on K9, Im sure! :huggles: :luck: :huggles:

Poor Poor Eddie :wub: :( :wub:

Hope the information has helped, it's wonderful to be able to draw on so many peoples experience when faced with a situation like this. I am really in the dark about this condition, just hoping and praying that the gorgeous Eddie is feeling better soon and that you are able to get things under control for him.

So glad to hear that he has perked up a bit, and just very grateful that he has a wonderful mum to look after him so well :thumbsup:

Poor Eddie :(

The home made food sounds a wise move - We (Dorwest Herbs) do one supplement that really helps with pancreatitis called Tree Barks Powder (slippery Elm & white poplar bark) this is actually classified by the Veterinary Medicines Directorate as a 'nutritious food' (somewhere between a medicine and a supplement) due to the benefit this can have. Indicated for colitis, pancreatitis as well as pancreatic insufficiency and diarhoea.

It is incredibly soothing and calming and helps slow the passage of food through the gut, which helps the animal to get the best from the food. This has a low fat content also which of course is very important for pancreatitis sufferers. Hope this helps and lots of :huggles: to the Edster.

No diet advice sorry, hope you find the right one for Eddie and he feels better soon :huggles:

Julie

Thanks all, you're all brilliant, and I've certainly got some ideas to go on with. Jo, I may well be in touch with you about that tree barks powder - I've got some plain slippery elm here but have no idea what to do with it for the best, and wasn't sure if it would help with this.

At the moment I'm feeling sick myself, as Ed's has had a bit of a setback, and seems very *down*, and I'm just waiting for the vet to ring me back.

Last night he was fine, he'd had tiny amounts all day, and slept all night. This morning when he got up he was very hunched up and wobbly and didn't want to move or do anything, and he's fallen over a couple of times. Then he seemed to settle, and has 'asked' for a little bit of food, so he's had a few teaspoons again of chicken and rice, well sloppy. But he won't drink, and won't venture out of his bed at the moment, and just looks incredibly tired. :( He seemed to have problems settling down, but right now he does look more relaxed.

I don't have to tell you all how worried I am right now, I know you've mostly all been there. :(

Well, Ed's laid quietly and doesn't seem uncomfortable, but he didn't even come to see me when I came home from work. Mum said he went up the garden and did a poo, but then laid down and wouldn't move, and she had to carry him back down.

The vet says as long as he's comfortable he'd like to leave him till tomorrow doing nothing apart from giving him lots of peace and keeping him warm and quiet. So, we'll see how he goes. He did lap a little water from my fingers earlier, so that's good.

I guess if he's done a poo then things are working? So maybe he just feels sore and might need some pain relief? :(

Back