The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Early Pace Or Strong Finish

sherry

Registered
Reaction score
yes i know we all want a dog with both, but if u had to choose one which wud it be a dog with early start/fast trapper or a dog with a strong finish and why wud u choose this?

i have had and stll have dogs that can trap and have early pace and always a dog with a strong finish beats them so personally id prefer a dog with a strong finish as to me they r more likely to win races.

wot do u think?

paloma had both good early pace and a very strong finish. but if i had to choose i think it would be early pace :D

like i always say you can't be start.

Early pace everytime, on the bunny and out of trouble :thumbsup:

im talking about straight racing i shudve said. mickey whizz hellish early pace but come on sue hell of a finish who used to win between those 2?

I think Geoffs right, get out the trap quickly and your dog should stay out of trouble, ;) i will say I think the scratch dogs have a better chance to prove their ability on the bends due to the longer distance, I soon noticed through the summer that Leia always came close at the finish but the distance was to short for her, so i'm not so surprised that she is doing well on the bends with the longer distance.

I'm looking forward, (not) to Leia and Mouse running against each other on Sunday, :teehee: come on Geoff and Hazel put me out of my misery, are you racing Mouse.???? :sweating: a very nervous, Di :teehee:

Last edited by a moderator:
HELLBENT always got left at the traps....but by god he had some finish :D

as i only bend race strong finnish everytime and a bit of bend craft. :D

HELLBENT always got left at the traps....but by god he had some finish :D
yes exactly my point. when we used to race mickey whizz against come on sue ( ive been watching old champs vids straights) and every time which is 3 times in one day ( @ asfordby) mickey whizz out traps sue by @ least a yard and half and hes winning until about 140yds when sue seems 2 step up a gear and go on to beat him by @ least a yard. (they did have some great races and he did beat her a couple of times but once she got a bit older he cudnt do it) we also used to have whisper whizz anyone remember his trapping? he was always 1st one out the traps yet he never won, if the distance had been 140yds then maybe lol

I think Geoffs right, get out the trap quickly and your dog should stay out of trouble, ;) i will say I think the scratch dogs have a better chance to prove their ability on the bends due to the longer distance, I soon noticed through the summer that Leia always came close at the finish but the distance was to short for her, so i'm not so surprised that she is doing well on the bends with the longer distance.
I'm looking forward, (not) to Leia and Mouse running against each other on Sunday, :teehee: come on Geoff and Hazel put me out of my misery, are you racing Mouse.???? :sweating: a very nervous, Di :teehee:

so u r agreeing with early pace? then u say leia likes the longer distance of the bends. IMO that wud mean she has a stronger finish :wacko:

p.s mopst of my dogs have been scratch dogs (4 up to now ;) )

I think this makes 4 an intersing topic, shame ive got to go to work now lol

I suppose what i'm trying to say Sherry is, and i'm only really talking about the scratch dogs because i know sod all about the smaller ones, is I've found that it looks safer if your dog is out and gone, maybe leading in the first bend,(so early pace is looked for) but if Leia doesn't come out first and she often doesn't, because the distance is a lot longer then the straights she has the time to power up and keep going, ;) were as on the straight she wasn't the fastest out the traps IMO, but because it was a lot shorter she would just be powering up when she had to start braking for the finish,. (I hope this makes sense Sherry). :lol:

I don't really train my dogs as such, but i do think that all my dogs have shown that they are distance dogs probably because of the way i love to walk and work with them. :thumbsup: di

Maizee's not a great trapper but she was a great finisher she did ok by it. Some times it keep's them out of trouble not trapping fast and that was bends an straits

Ooooh this is a hard one, i'd probably go for strong finish at a push, but really i'm greedy and want a dog that can do a combination of both :lol: . It's nice to have a fast trapper and win from trap to line but imo it's the strong finishers that give a more exciting race for the spectators.

Stewert was a good trapper but he was a relly strong finisher, when a 29lb dog can catch a 20lb bitch over 150yds its some finish. I favour strong finish but like most and would like a fast trapper as well :)

you can make a dog sronger but cant give it pace. early ever time

Back